Lupo GTI vs Mini Cooper

lupoG

Lupo GTI vs Mini Cooper

Which car is most reliable...?

Depends which Mini Cooper. Pre 56 plate I wouldnt recommend because they have the Chrysler engines in that are very thirsty and not strong performers for their size. Post 56 plate they are the a PSA effort and much much better.

See i was thinking of buying a mini 2002 Mini Cooper 1.6..I done some research on

www.mini2.com

It turn out that mini's have all sorts of commen problems.. big ones too such as 5 speed gear

box's going..steering racks..water pump on most earlier models.

Its mainly on the earlier models which are most effected..BMW Mini are also aware of these

issues and also offer customers goodwill towards repair and costs.

I actually had a word with my local BMW Mini to confirm this before i bought the actuall car

and they did confirm these are real issues on the earlier models..

abviously this doesnt effect every mini cooper...im sure most are fine..

Ive got to say i like the current mini, the latest one, it ironed out all the bits i didnt like with the first BMW mini. Id buy one :)

The diesel looks cracking, on paper anyway :coffee:

Depends which Mini Cooper. Pre 56 plate I wouldnt recommend because they have the Chrysler engines in that are very thirsty and not strong performers for their size. Post 56 plate they are the a PSA effort and much much better.

I didnt know that, why a chrysler engine?

The new range of mini engines seem quite quick for what they are and very economical.

I have recently been having a cheeky look at jcw mini's i like the look of them and at 210bhp i bet they dont go too bad either but guess they are a little different from a copper.

i played with a cooper on some back (private) roads and there wasnt all that much between it and my Gti but i seemed to accelerate faster and corner better (but i'm on collies)

i do like mini's but the problem with them is that there so common, where as a lupo Gti is the total opposite.

I have recently been having a cheeky look at jcw mini's i like the look of them and at 210bhp i bet they dont go too bad either but guess they are a little different from a copper.

i played with a cooper on some back (private) roads and there wasnt all that much between it and my Gti but i seemed to accelerate faster and corner better (but i'm on collies)

i do like mini's but the problem with them is that there so common, where as a lupo Gti is the total opposite.

not the GP ;) only ever seen one, and thats cos the guy lives near me,

but i wouldn't spend 20 odd k on one... :)

i always wanted a mini cooper but i said if i could ever afford the insurance on a lupo gti then nothin else would cum into consideration.

my uncle has a JCW fully striped out roll cage but instead of the supercharger it has a turbo . . and its pushing 391hp its the fastest thing ive ever been.

Ive got to say i like the current mini, the latest one, it ironed out all the bits i didnt like with the first BMW mini. Id buy one :)

The diesel looks cracking, on paper anyway :coffee:

I didnt know that, why a chrysler engine?

The new range of mini engines seem quite quick for what they are and very economical.

The old new mini had a 4 star ncap safety rating and a 1.6 chrysler engine (bought on the cheap, because rover needed this car on sale quickly! - of course BMW then stole it for themselves as they had put the development money in, and was stuck with buying engines from their main competitor daimler chrysler! (before the breakup of the two companies in 2007))

N/A in the one

N/A but a bit more tuning in the cooper

Supercharged in the cooper s

And the diesel was a 1.4 Toyota engine from the yaris.

The new new mini is more bulbous with "fried egg" headlamps - indicators inside the lamps, has a 5 star ncap safety rating, and BMW/PSA developed engines.

1.4 (think 90bhp) in the One

1.6 turbo 150bhp in the cooper

1.6 turbo 172bhp in the cooper s

And now the diesel is a much better 1.6 PSA engine (as fitted to many peugeots and citroens)

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

He didn't say that, he said the old New Mini Cooper was turbocharged, and I'm fairly certain it isn't.

The new New Mini Cooper S is turbocharged, where than the old New Mini Cooper S which was supercharged.

The old old Mini Cooper S was naturally aspirated, the 'S' doesn't refer to the supercharger really, just using the old name from the classic Mini. Much like the new Mini Clubman is not a clubman at all, it's an estate, they're just cashing in on the classic name.

im sure the older cooper s was super charged...

and the new cooper s turbo'd.

the normal mini one and cooper were n/a engines.

i was looking at a cooper / cooper s when i was buying my gti, test drove the cooper, as i had the 1.4 sport already to me the performance was the same.

tried a cooper s out and i was very impressed with the performance and handling of the car, the car was a bit of work to drive, the gear knob was huge! and the steering wheel was ultra chunky.

but the super charger whine was amazing.

was going to buy the cooper s but insurance was a blow out so i started looking at a lupo gti and it is a great car to drive, the whole package is great, clutch feel, short shift box, spend a bit on better brakes and coilover and you have your self a decent car!

the old 'new' mini one was 1.6 90bhp, cooper was 1.6 110bhp and cooper s was 1.6 supercharged 162bhp

the new 'new' mini one is 1.4 90bhp (i think), cooper is 1.6 120bhp and cooper s 1.6 turbo 170bhp ish

the new cooper works looks good, got 207bhp ish think that will fly

the old 'new' mini one was 1.6 90bhp, cooper was 1.6 110bhp and cooper s was 1.6 supercharged 162bhp

the new 'new' mini one is 1.4 90bhp (i think), cooper is 1.6 120bhp and cooper s 1.6 turbo 170bhp ish

Almost right. The new cooper is turbo charged as well with 150bhp. Same engine as in the 207 GT HTP.

Yeah sorry about that guys, everything else is right, but the mk1 new mini was an 1.6 N/A Cooper

i thought the older cooper was 115hp?