SDi Economy - Highest I've Ever Achieved

Skezza

Getting a low score for mpg is easy, just start your car up and leave it idling until your fuel runs out, and you'll get 0mpg. ;)

On track I have managed to get the Lupo as low as 36mpg, which is still a consistent four times better than anything else I drive, which is generally echoed on the road.

Well you can just put the clutch in, handbrake on so your not moving and boot it to what every rpm. As long as your not moving your getting 0mpg.

Lol are you not better off doing that in neutral :P?

Having read this post I'm getting right into this needle around about 2k-2.5k region and I have to admit I'm enjoying it.

Life feels alot less frantic and I'm loving not visiting the Fuel Station all the time.

Thanks for a great post!

Leave it idling lol? How long would that take?
For the SDI? I don't know. Maybe you could find out. ;)

For the 3L I don't have the data on me, but I believe you can empty a full tank in between 23 and 43 hours, it depends on factors like temperatures.

Obviously you could stick a brick on the throttle to bring the time down, or sit it the car for hours.

It depends how important it is to you to achieve the ultimate low mpg is, and how much time and money you have to waste.

• 2 years later...

Right, stumbled across this thread and had to post... (Holy thread revival Batman etc)

I've just managed to achieve 74 mpg as a full tank average purely on the basis of running 13" standard wheels, hitting neutral and rolling to stop for junctions/down hills, and never going over 2krpm. I'm sure I could better this this but half of my driving involves a 10.5 stone passenger (Driving the Mrs to work) and I've pretty much always got a 2.5 stone passenger in tow (Eunos junior) . With further weight savings, ie dissowning family and ditching spare wheel etc I'm fairly confident 80 mpg would be possible, watch this space, we'll see...

Meanwhile, I'm off-setting any benefits to the ozone layer by driving my '89 Eunos sans cat, changing up at 7k rpm and thus achieving a respectable 23 mpg, the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away :rolleyes:

Edit to say, the Eunos went in for test last month and I was horrified to learn I'd only covered 734 miles since last year, must try harder, that's about two weeks worth of millage for the Lupo -_-

Edited by JoeyEunos

I was getting an average of 55mg in my tdi until I tried some Eco driving. Now I regularly get 60mpg just by sticking to 70mph on the motorway and trying to roll to a stop with minimal breaking

image.png

Edited by wehey
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

hitting neutral and rolling to stop for junctions/down hills

I'm not convinced by this method. I could somewhat see it working on old carbie cars, but Lupo's (surprisingly) do have injector cut-off which means if you're doing say 50mph and come to a hill. Simply taking your foot off the accelerator should cut the injectors off and you'll be experiencing insane MPG while gravity is pulling your vehicle. 

Now ordinarily I'd agree with that, and always worked on the assumption that they'd be a modern enough car to have the fuel cut off function, however I went through a whole tank using the 'neutral to coast' technique as an experiment and my MPG immediately jumped up to 70+ (I'd been getting mid 60's until then), another tank doing the same yielded similar results...

Like you say, it shouldn't work in theory, but for me it was the catalyst for breaking the 70mpg barrier :D

Edited by JoeyEunos
Spelling.

On 21/07/2016 at 2:12 PM, JoeyEunos said:

Now ordinarily I'd agree with that, and always worked on the assumption that they'd be a modern enough car to have the fuel cut off function, however I went through a whole tank using the 'neutral to coast' technique as an experiment and my MPG immediately jumped up to 70+ (I'd been getting mid 60's until then), another tank doing the same yielded similar results...

Like you say, it shouldn't work in theory, but for me it was the catalyst for breaking the 70mpg barrier :D

Interesting. I don't remember if I drove like that when I got my 79MPG. To be fair, I found it unbearable driving like that. So mundane. Boring. I know that sounds terrible and I probably sound a barry boy now, but sometimes getting your foot down and having a wee bit of fun is what it's all about..... minus the crashing of course ;)

I'm still averaging a solid 65MPG most weeks, it's amazing though. The other day, I drove it nearly 40 miles on the very lowest line. Ordinarily, I would have to fill up, so I tried driving like the style I described in this guide and no surprise, I didn't have to fill up and had just enough juice to get me to the station the next day.

I don't know long this SDI has left in this world, but for the moment, providing me cheap motoring is what it does very well.

3 hours ago, Skezza said:

Interesting. I don't remember if I drove like that when I got my 79MPG. To be fair, I found it unbearable driving like that. So mundane. Boring. I know that sounds terrible and I probably sound a barry boy now, but sometimes getting your foot down and having a wee bit of fun is what it's all about..... minus the crashing of course ;)

I'm still averaging a solid 65MPG most weeks, it's amazing though. The other day, I drove it nearly 40 miles on the very lowest line. Ordinarily, I would have to fill up, so I tried driving like the style I described in this guide and no surprise, I didn't have to fill up and had just enough juice to get me to the station the next day.

I don't know long this SDI has left in this world, but for the moment, providing me cheap motoring is what it does very well.

TBH I'm actually ok with poodling round, in fact more than that, I like it :ph34r: Within a fortnight I realised that even when nailing it the SDI doesn't really get anywhere near fast enough to be 'fun', and at that point the whole 'eco-driving' thing became a kind of sport for me in itself. I find the game of trying to eek out better mpg tank upon tank fairly entertaining (I know, I should get out more ;))

FWIW I recon an MX5 provides the perfect 'ying' to the SDI's 'yang'. The SDI seems so frugal and tractor like after running the little Mazda's, and likewise, getting back in an MX5/Eunos after driving the SDI for extended periods makes it feel like a rocketship and a proper rear wheel drive racing car in terms of handling/oversteer/50-50 weight distrubution etc. Polar opposites, but both perfect in their own way.

@Skezza How many miles is your SDI up to now? Mine just clicked over 124k on the way back from Newcastle this afternoon...

I get 80 mpg all day, but I did mod the engine slightly. I posted on here how to do the inlet plenum mod, rearranging the way the egr works and gas flowing the ram tubes. I'm going to do same mod to my 2nd SDI that we got a couple of weeks back. I also run a different oil in the box. And we're on Michelin green X tyres. I drive it quite hard, but do shift early. For eco fuel runs, you cane it then coast for Max economy... I can't remember what rpms give you Max torque in a 1.7 sdi, but that is usually the Max efficiency running point for an engine at Max throttle. If it's at say 2000rpm, then cane it at about 2000, then coast, then cane it and then coast.... Keep doing that and you'll get well over 100mpg! Not very practical though. :)

• Like 1

everyone knows that speedos are inaccurate, that same inaccuracy applies to the odometer, for super true and accurate readings milage should be taken from satnav or similar device you could be out 10mpg either way

i suppose if your speedo matches your satnav recorded speed then it must be spot on, itf it different then that can be taken into account and you could apply a correction factor

7 hours ago, JoeyEunos said:

Don't keep us all in the dark? What oil are you running Sir...?

Synthetic tractor hypoid dif oil. Good stuff. Thicker, but makes the transmission nice n quiet. Been two years almost now and it runs sweet as.

On 22/07/2016 at 5:45 PM, JoeyEunos said:

TBH I'm actually ok with poodling round, in fact more than that, I like it :ph34r: Within a fortnight I realised that even when nailing it the SDI doesn't really get anywhere near fast enough to be 'fun', and at that point the whole 'eco-driving' thing became a kind of sport for me in itself. I find the game of trying to eek out better mpg tank upon tank fairly entertaining (I know, I should get out more ;))

FWIW I recon an MX5 provides the perfect 'ying' to the SDI's 'yang'. The SDI seems so frugal and tractor like after running the little Mazda's, and likewise, getting back in an MX5/Eunos after driving the SDI for extended periods makes it feel like a rocketship and a proper rear wheel drive racing car in terms of handling/oversteer/50-50 weight distrubution etc. Polar opposites, but both perfect in their own way.

@Skezza How many miles is your SDI up to now? Mine just clicked over 124k on the way back from Newcastle this afternoon...

170k ish.

I know my bro got 55mpg in the black one. 100k.

I once got 85 on a straight run back from Chester and it took me hours, the red sdi, 230k.

I got 63 out of the gti on the way from fort william back to durham.

currently playing with a golf mk4 115 which seems to be getting around 54.

I have been getting 40 out of a mk3 gti and that makes the mk4 look bad.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Rich said:

I know my bro got 55mpg in the black one. 100k.

I once got 85 on a straight run back from Chester and it took me hours, the red sdi, 230k.

I got 63 out of the gti on the way from fort william back to durham.

currently playing with a golf mk4 115 which seems to be getting around 54.

I have been getting 40 out of a mk3 gti and that makes the mk4 look bad.

That's excellent but as you say, rough driving I imagine.