My old lupo is on ebay (i part ex'd it), but....

_AJ_

this is the url:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-vw-Lupo-GTI-a-c-/350730040065?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item51a923b301

If you make an offer on it....be aware that the seller does not say - that two bbs alloys are bent/buckled (not fixable) the coilovers have been ruined from two pot holes on the way to part exchanging it - it barely drives, steering wheel shakes loads (damn m25), there is rust on the rear quarter, the centre exhaust needs replacing, the stitching on the gear gaitor and rear seats (at the bottom) were orange...and ive gone over them with a red permanent marker (as i didnt have enough time to put it back to red) there is a scratch the length of the car. the debadged back hasnt been painted over that well. there is no undertray, the passenger window clips need replacing, smell of petrol in the car.... and i bodged a few things to get it back to standard.

You may think this is weird....but its a trader, and he didnt give me much for it...and the car i part exchanged it for has been nothing but trouble, so thought i would warn you, it would be lucky to be worth £2000 now...

So its up to you, but it needs new wheels, suspension set up, centre exhaust, undertray, gear gaitor and knob, rear bench, bonnet and n/s spray, window clips, find the petrol smell etc. ooh and i blew a speaker.

I know.. I dont want anyone to have it then realise the bits wrong with it.

I know, hes not doing it any justice writing about it like that! Urm....he had english tongue....thats all im saying. He's making it sound like a granny mobil. He's an Eedgit, and apparently...which I thought was odd. He sells cars from his house, but his business of high "10/11/12/13 plate bmws" is in reading. Something dodgy about the sale there...i said to him it doesnt drive well and needs looking at, he is selling on an unsafe car really.... xx

Edited by _AJ_

haha, but it was ok to drive an unsafe car?

You swapped a crap car for a crap car, sounds fair?

Maybe, but at least AJ told him it was a crap car - The dealer obviously buys in cheap cars, bumps up the price and passes them off as 'good examples', despite being told they need excessive amounts of work.

How much did you sell it for out of curiosity? or would you rather keep that private?

The guy sounds like your typical conman dealer. There's plenty of them on eBay. I spotted one the other day selling an 05 Peugeot 206 Zest. He'd clearly lied in the description about various problems that were with the car. Some of them were major problems that may result in the car being eventually scrapped, but he intentionally disguised them as little problems. Luckily nobody bid on it.

This is why I don't use Ebay any more or any online used car website. If it can't be sold locally or on a forecourt then its probably ****ed.

This 206 had a ****ed engine, but he lied about tonnes of ****, all of it quite serious. He said the engine had no compression and that the fix was to simply change the MAF sensor, a 10 minute fix costing £30.

If it's a 10 minute fix costing £30... why hasn't the guy selling it fixed it? The car was photographed in a commercial garage, surrounded by tools, equipment and other cars. The contact details were for a second hand car dealer that also offer to service and MOT... it's not as if they don't have the facilities to do such a job.

The reason why is because he was talking utter ****. A faulty MAF sensor won't lead to a loss of compression. No compression? No ifs, buts or maybes, it's a ****ed engine; be it valves, rings, cracked head, whatever. My worry was that some poor sod might fall for this complete con.

He also claimed the airbag light is on because the steering wheel was changed (in small letters at the bottom it said 'this car is a cat c' riiiiiiiight... so about that airbag light... Steering wheel, or front-ender?). He also said that the genuine mileage is 55k, but mileometer says 160k because the speedo was changed. (That's a good one).

So yep, a complete bullshitter of the highest order.

Edited by Skezza

So the shape of the car makes it safe. Interesting.

Indeed :lol:

Nice heads up AJ :thumbsup:

Edited by Koop

Nice one AJ for the heads up.

I did spot this before your post and though it must be a heap due to the low price despite the waffle on the description.

Is it me or are there a lot more duffer Gti's out there at the moment? - which makes it all the better for those who have good examples as long as the poor examples don't drag prices down.

GTI's are at rock bottom price at the moment and have been for some time, is this the start of the crossover where the more neglected GTI's will end up scrapped, broken up and left to die and the good example become more valued?

I think the reason GTi's are at rock bottom is the same as why a lot of other petrol cars (especially big engine ones) are going down in price... fuel costs. When I was looking for another Lupo, I couldn't believe the price you could get 2 and 2.5 litre petrol BMW's, Civics etc, all in good condition, with reasonable mileage. They have plummeted price wise in the last few years.

Speed might be everything to Jeremy Clarkson, but if you're doing the same 76 mile a trip day to work, like I do, a GTi is simply the wrong car. If I was doing a shorter run, perhaps I'd go for a Lupo GTi, despite the fact I'd probably pay near 1k for insurance.

The point I'm making is people are far more aware of fuel economy nowadays. Commuters are especially careful. Where I work, very few live in the surrounding area as it costs near a million to buy a house and there's a trend in the cars people use. Numerous people drive Golf Blue motion, a few have the Passat Blue motion, quite a few have the economical model Ford Mondeo, I have the Lupo SDI, there's a Polo SDI too, one guy has a Prius and there's a whole load of other reasonably priced, reasonably economical cars sitting on the car park. Get my drift? Some people (especially commuters) are picking MPG over speed, especially with fuel prices soaring. Only one guy I work with drives a petrol guzzler... he has an MX5 and up until a 6 months ago, he paid £20 A DAY, to get to work. He's since moved much closer to the area and tries to avoid driving at all using whatever public transport he can, so his car isn't even on the car park now. If I was to judge, I'd say the most un-economical car on there at the moment is probably a Ford KA (they only do like 35 MPG).

Some people don't worry about what they pay at the pumps, and to them, I say good on you. Please keep the GTi's in good nick, don't scrap them or crash them, because one day, I want one.

Edited by Skezza
  • Like 2

The GTI is far from un-economical in my opinion and i think it makes a great little car, both for the city and for the motorway.

Sit on the inside lane of the motorway at 60mph and a solid 45-50mpg is achievable.

My GTI took me all over the country; I live in coventry and used to drive to Wales, then i went to Worthing (brighton) and now i'm in Milton Keynes, which costs me around £20 per day. Even in something like a bluemotion, it'll still cost me close to that, as diesel is so much dearer.

So, to sum up, i don't think fuel prices are lowering the value of these little cars at all, as it's more than adequate and there aren't many cars that perform as well as a GTI, which also return the same or better mpg.

I love my GTI - VW got it very right!

No doubt, if you can achieve 45MPG in a GTI, that is a very respectable figure. I probably didn't get than in my 1.0L (got 41-43 usually).

With regards to the price of Diesel, the gap is lessening. In some places, I've seen Diesel as little as 2p more than petrol. For the 65MPG I get quite consistently, I'm saving quite a bit overall. I worked out that by driving my SDI, on a usual run, I can save up to £2 a day. As you can imagine, over the course of a few months, that is a reasonable amount. Plus, the initial price of my SDI was very very competitive whereas GTI's are always going to warrant a higher price tag. People might be a little bit put off by that.

I don't think it's just to do with fuel prices. I've maybe over emphasized that a little, I think it's one thing that makes people think though. It is something that 10 years ago, people worried about less.

It's also one of the reasons I think IF VW re-released the 3L Lupo, it would probably sell like crazy. A non-hybrid car that can do 90+ MPG...

Edited by Skezza

He will probably get a mate to bid on it to bump price up.. I can see this being 'won' and magically re-appear on e-bay in a week or two.

're listed no time wasters. Yup, standard.

Yeah. Part ex'd it trade at £2000, but the car I brought was a part ex. So it probably owes him about a grand... What a knooooob!

• 2 weeks later...