Sport v Sport

Owen33

My friend got a sport on the weekend, and my sport is clearly faster as proved a couple of times...

but we dont know how? :S

After a quick look his exhaust manifold seems to be like the ones of 75hp where each cylinders ports are bunched up as quick as poss and i think it has a Cat in the manifold? like this i think(not definite as heat shield is still on): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-VOLKSWAGEN-LUPO-1-4-CATALYTIC-CONVERTER-MANIFOLD-2000770200-/280777620198?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415fa67ae6#ht_4075wt_1185

Could this be the cause of the slight slower-ness?

my car : 100k miles

very poor service history and a buggered engine thats been running a pre-used belt for 20000 miles...and burns more oil than petrol

His car : 50k miles

really good history, well serviced regularly.

It does 70 in 1st? :blink:

Srsly tho, maybe his sport is actually an S with a sport exhaust. Check the logbook lol

^ That

We are not talking a few bhp here, if its consistently faster every time it must have a reasonable power advantage.

Unless you are just testing them off the line all the time, in which case the tyres are more of a factor. Do they both do the same rpm at a selection of speeds?

that looks like my manifold from memory, maybe you have an aftermarket manifold, and after that, who knows what esle was done if the service history is missing chunks.

Hmm its definitely a sport, centre exhaust, no wheel well work, rear disks etc

Its the exhaust thats confusing me, on my sport the 02 sensor is beneath the manifold/cat pipe join and his is above. As said his has what seems to be a manifold cat whereas mine just runs 4 pipes which join at the joint to rest of system if that makes sense? My other sport engine has the same mani' as mine too

Both have 14" sport wheels and mines probably at a disadvantage again with terrible tracking, and slight brake bind on the rears

As the history is concerned we've had the car for a few years and got it with little mileage, was standard when my brother got it and all went downhill from there!

does anyone know anything about the exhaust in relation with the age of the lupo? my sport and my e but have similar looking mani's just the e has a egr valve component on the number 4 pipe, they're both 1999 cars, friends sport would be a 2001 i think

Not sure on the exhaust front, my 52 plate (BBY engine) has a pre cat at the manifold and the main cat in the usual place.

Are both your cars the same engine code? I think I read AFKs don't have the two cats? It is possible VW added in the extra cat between your 99 and their 01.