Lupo GTi question...

loopy_lass

How many miles do you get to a tank?

I do 110 motorway miles a day and following my house selling I'm thinking of treating myself to a GTi or possibly a VRs. Obviously the VRs is sensible but that's boring! :)

Any help much appreciated! :)

Daily mixed driving just over 200 miles, but when on a motorway run at sensible speeds about 300 is achievable (but not by me and I wouldn't bank on it).

TBH you may be better getting a TDI and remapping it. They really are little beasts when the BHP and torque are pushed up.

Ask nbfr or Jon_273.

The GTI is pretty economical to be fair. I've seen 50+mpg from mine, which was done by sitting at 60mph on the motorway.

It's not so good when you thrash it, but it's acceptable. Normally town driving returns about 30-35mpg.

It's not a brilliant motorway car though in all honesty. It gets blown about, it's revving its tits off at 80-90mph and it'll be devalued due to getting plastered with stone chips!

Edited by Cooper_GTI

but when on a motorway run at sensible speeds about 300 is achievable (but not by me and I wouldn't bank on it).

300 is easy, I have had 350 out of mine on a long motorway journey. Im certain 400 to a tank is do-able, if you could do it all in one go.

300 is easy, I have had 350 out of mine on a long motorway journey. Im certain 400 to a tank is do-able, if you could do it all in one go.

But that would be boring. I use 1/8th tank just joining the motorway at speed after fueling up :lol:

They are pretty good on petrol, but if I was doing 110 miles per day I wouldn't go out and buy one!

As has been said though, around 200 miles around town/mixed, 300ish on a long sensible drive, and over 350 if you take it really easy. :)

My mate has just bought a Fabia VRS today, he's been ragging it round all afternoon and averaged 42mpg. Much better for motorway trips.

But not as cool as a GTI. ;)

I 2nd the motion for a vrs, as phil says, not as cool as a gti but there's nothing cool about being in a gti and having a vrs wee all over you, which is what would happen all day long!!

I was worrying about the exact same thing about buying a GTi but honestly it is better on petrol than my 1.4, although if you do give it some juice you will see a difference but you'd expect that lol You only live the once, go for it :)

I had a Lupo GTi for four years and now have a vRS.

The Lupo is obviously more fun but if you're doing a lot of motorway miles then the vRS all the way - I got around 40+mpg on the motorway with the Lupo but the vRS will easily return 55+. The tiny fuel tank in the Lupo is also a pain - you'll be filling up every second day on your mileage.

vRS on the motorway is as comfortable as your favourite armchair.

Edited by Fow Vay

I own both a Lupo GTI and a Fabia VRS (PD). Covered 20k in the Lupo and 75K in the Fabia.

Lupo around town = 38mpg, motorway = 45mpg (70mph)

VRS around town = 55mpg, motorway = 57mpg (70mpg) 60mpg (60mph)

Lupo tank = 280-300miles

Fabia tank = 480-600miles

The main difference is the torque and comfort the VRS provides at higher speeds.

Edited by mat.m.

Some of these Miles per tank claims are a little unrealistic. But here's me two pence worth.

Normal running, having a little bit of fun 200-225 miles per tank

No fun just driving 230-260 miles per tank

Motorway 1 full stint (which I did when travelling from East Durham to Cambridge at a steady 60) 280 miles per tank, probably would have managed the 330-350 mark but I'd arrived at my destination so I couldn't actually find out for definate.

Obviously driving styles vary between drivers, I drive very economically and I never managed to get anything more than these figures. 400 would, in my opinion, be impossible on normal filling. Filling the tank to the literal brim may well get there but I wouldn't recommend doing this!

Edited by LupoGTiNAB

Yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention that the over 300 miles to a tank figure was if you use the secret button and fill it right up. I always brim it before a long journey, so it's not fair to compare it to a normal tank full. I just do it every time so I forgot.

I've had 100 (well, 99 :angry::lol: ) miles before the needle's even moved off the full mark.

Yeah, sorry. I forgot to mention that the over 300 miles to a tank figure was if you use the secret button and fill it right up. I always brim it before a long journey, so it's not fair to compare it to a normal tank full. I just do it every time so I forgot.

I've had 100 (well, 99 :angry::lol: ) miles before the needle's even moved off the full mark.

That surprises me with your rather erratic driving (if it can be called that) style.

Somewhere in the Lakes.

Where's Phil? VVRrrrroooooOOOooooooommm...

ooh there he is. Isn't he going fast; ovetaking all the traffic...

30 sec's later...

Red lights. Nose down. Pull into a layby. "I dinae know where we're going."

:lol:

I disagree really. Some of the figures are easily achievable.

Yep - using the secret button obviously. The ones I have posted I have actually got, which is why I posted them.

Yep, I've achieved mine plenty of times, had about 350 miles before the light came on once, IIRC. Secret button FTW!

That surprises me with your rather erratic driving (if it can be called that) style.

Somewhere in the Lakes.

Where's Phil? VVRrrrroooooOOOooooooommm...

ooh there he is. Isn't he going fast; ovetaking all the traffic...

30 sec's later...

Red lights. Nose down. Pull into a layby. "I dinae know where we're going."

:lol:

:lol: I was just thinking about that pointless overtaking manoeuvre the other day. What a pillock.

I generally take it pretty easy most of the time, just pootling about town or cruising at 70.

Still put my foot down occasionally though. :D

Edited by Philplop

...and then there was the drive to VW Fest Leeds last year. Everyone else had slowed down for the junction and you, admittedly Sophie was driving, went flying past in the outside lane.

You have trained her well.