Do you agree with this new possible law?

DarkStryder360

..for new drivers. Yeh. Its ok for us veterans.

http://www.confused.com/featured-articles/motoring/car-insurance/radical-driving-licence-changes-put-to-parliament-353126319?MediaCode=806&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Newsletter&utm_source=Newsletter23May&utm_content=May

Basically;

Imagine not being allowed to drive after 11pm or only being able to carry certain passengers. Well that could become reality for new drivers if a road safety campaign is successful.

What Brake want to see is a “graduated driving licence” , which would compel new drivers to undergo a minimum learning period of one year before taking a driving test. Once passed, the novice driver would be allowed to drive unsupervised but would have restrictions on their licence for a minimum of two years.

Other key components include:

Restrictions on the time of day that young drivers can drive

Giving young drivers a lower alcohol limit

Restricting them from carrying young passengers

Banning motorway driving in the first year after the test

A second driving test at the end of the two-year period to help ensure safe driving on all types of roads.

Little video.

A bloke mentions, lower premiums... ooo great, and I expect the cost of learning to drive for a whole year with lessons will just overthrow that, plus the cost of two tests, plus the cost I assume of the license, and the novice license, plus the cost of a felony the young driver will no doubt cause at least once, as there are many pitfalls.

As much as I don't really mind, as it doesn't affect me.. I do feel sorry for the little blighters. TWO DRIVING TESTS! Everyone should drive, and as soon as your 17, but this a deal breaker if it comes into power.

Which it probably wont.

Wow there are so many issues with this!

What about older drivers? People who have slower reaction times. Young drivers are not perfect, but neither is my grandad...

Young drivers are often at college/6th form etc. So work evenings at bars or pubs. With this they cannot drive to work...

You cannot carry young people. Therefore people will have there own car. More cars on the road, more carbon footprint per person. Useless against the whole green thing.

Learning for a year means higher costs. Why is this necessary? Even my driving instructor said you start learning once you pass. Because I passed 2 months after my 17th this makes me a bad driver?? Ive been driving just over a year now, never had an accident or even a minor bump.

The only way of sorting this is the training. I raced an old Mini between the age of 14-16. This taught me car control, and taught me to look as far ahead as possible. Its made me a very observant and aware driver. I see it first hand with my 'young driver' friends. They follow bumper to bumper with the car infront and dont look further than the end of their nose. It worries me, hence I drive whenever I can. I never say Im a good driver, competant and aware yes, the best - definately not. I think everyone should lose control of a car before they are let out on the roads. A skid pan scenario. Its similar to the way I learnt!

I think everyone should lose control of a car before they are let out on the roads. A skid pan scenario. Its similar to the way I learnt!

Plan!

I did a skid pan just after I passed, was brilliant, 3 years on still remember what I was taught... to not ever own a Beemer 3Series just incase it rains, as I will die :lol: .

Thing iiissss...

I remember like a month ago (another possible law), it was said to be made compulsory for learners to drive on a Motorway in a lesson (despite people in Cornwall complaining about the 200+ mile round trip to the first Mway) but that coincides with the no Motorway driving in this 'law'.

I am getting confused.

Its true though. Until you lose control of a car you dont know how to deal with hitting the brakes hard - not 'emergency stop' at 30mph. More like if someone spins their car at 70 infront of you on the motorway how you stop the car from becoming uncontrolable. The learning procedures and test is completely useless. I hardly learnt a thing whilst learning. It was all before whilst racing or after when somebody decided to t-bone the person infront of me whilst we were all doing about 50. Luckily I managed to keep control of the car and miss it all! But i do strongly believe without my race experience I wouldve ended up with some serious injuries that day because I had never been told how to deal with a car skidding and sliding. Never was it mentioned to pump the brakes to regain control. Never once was i taught to turn into a slide. No wonder there are so many deaths on the road. The training just isnt good enough.

Edited by mini-man-dan

Do you agree with this new possible law?

Yes.

It's commonplace in the rest of Europe to limit driving hours, restrict the power of their car, speed limit and passenger numbers for new drivers.

The only restriction placed on new drivers in Great Britain is how much money they (or their parents) are willing to spend.

If claim frequency and claim value can be reduced, then it's all good. Drivers of nearly all other types of vehicle have to undergo further testing and some have ongoing training (driver CPC). Why the vast majority of road users shouldn't is a bit of a mystery.

Disagree - whilst I concede that this would without a doubt reduce claims and injuries amongst the demographic in question, I think it is too harsh - as said, plenty of new drivers work out of office hours

Definately agree. You cant have 0, but a very low limit such as 10 would suffice. Watch out the morning after though!

Would solve the 'watch this' crash scenario, but not practical IMO

Disagree - the percentage of motorway crashes involving first year drivers is small, and it isnt hard to drive in a straight line

A second driving test at the end of the two-year period to help ensure safe driving on all types of roads

Too much burearocracy. The DVLA can barely function as it is.

I completely agree with Defcon with all of that - And an extra test is clearly another money making scheme for the DVLA.

And to the no young drivers malarky.. I have younger siblings who go to school and parents who work. All it would encourage is either for them not to go to school or my parents not to work - exactly what the government doesn't want!

Disagree - whilst I concede that this would without a doubt reduce claims and injuries amongst the demographic in question, I think it is too harsh - as said, plenty of new drivers work out of office hours

Definately agree. You cant have 0, but a very low limit such as 10 would suffice. Watch out the morning after though!

Would solve the 'watch this' crash scenario, but not practical IMO

Disagree - the percentage of motorway crashes involving first year drivers is small, and it isnt hard to drive in a straight line

A second driving test at the end of the two-year period to help ensure safe driving on all types of roads

Too much burearocracy. The DVLA can barely function as it is.

I'd agree with you there, by and large. Although plenty of Americans manage to crash going in a straight line. The Motorway thing is probably speed related more than anything.

The only thing I do agree with is the lower alcohol limit. Although this implies older people are fine to drive more drunk... Umm. No.

Also banning motorway driving encourages back-road driving. I bet there are way more deaths on back roads than motorways caused by wreckless driving. If anything this will increase deaths and injuries.

Edited by mini-man-dan

Nah, it's easy. Enter motorway, move to middle lane, stay there forever.

That's it, isn't it?

Pretty much it's simple, I keep getting people flashing me and beeping but I swear I don't know them. One bloke did it to my 200 miles away, I don't even know that many people :S

Nah, it's easy. Enter motorway, move to middle lane, stay there forever.

That's it, isn't it?

Aaaarrggghhhhh! It's so frustrating being stuck behind people who do that.

And also people who can't keep a steady speed; who overtake, pull in front and slow down again :reallymad: .

Good idea on the whole. I see far too many young drivers driving like idiots- and sometimes harsh measures need to be taken.

We're too soft in this country and something has got to change.

I know someone who hogs the fast lane sits in it for hours at 80/90mph

Complete turkey

That phrase is part of the problem - people think of lanes as slow, medium and fast - slow is for lorries so Ill stay in the middle, and Im going faster than 70 so I need to be in the fast lane.

That phrase is part of the problem - people think of lanes as slow, medium and fast - slow is for lorries so Ill stay in the middle, and Im going faster than 70 so I need to be in the fast lane.

they should be laid out like 60 / 65 / 70 so traffic will over take but it would be too complicated to enforce i think

they should be laid out like 60 / 65 / 70 so traffic will over take but it would be too complicated to enforce i think

There is a perfectly easy to understand rule already in place - Keep left unless overtaking. Just people are oblivious to it

I find young females are the worst for sitting in the middle lane and fat business men in Audi's and BMW's are worst for hogging fast lane.. I've seen them join a nearly empty motorway and dart right out to the fast lane racks my brain!

There is a perfectly easy to understand rule already in place - Keep left unless overtaking. Just people are oblivious to it

Drive in France, their lane discipline is absolute bliss!

They overtake then move back in... The outside lane is pretty much empty!