'On the phone while driving' Law

DarkStryder360

I was watching Motorway Cops on BBC 1 on iPlayer (awesome by the way), and in one incident a woman was pulled over for talking on the phone, nothing unusual about that, but when the Rozzer said to the woman something along the lines of:

"you commit the offence, as soon as you come in contact with the phone"

This sprung to mind when I was driving home, I received a Text. I was about to glance at the phone (while in the slot under the stereo) to see who it was from, then noticed a cop car driving the other way, so I didn't look. Now if that is true, as soon as I touch or pick up the phone I commit the offence - what differences would arise with the iPod Touch and iPhone situation?

I had an iPod Touch for 2 years before my iPhone, and I used to have a lame old AUX ran stereo where I had to pick up the device to change a tune, but they both look the same, yet one is a phone, is looking at a phone that much different from looking at another device?

If I was still in possession of my iPod Touch, and got picked up because I came in contact with it, yet it was an iPod not a iPhone would the law still be the same?

Something I thought about while driving home, bored.

Edited by DarkStryder360

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function

“interactive communication function” includes the following: (i) sending or receiving oral or written messages; (ii) sending or receiving facsimile documents; (iii) sending or receiving still or moving images; and (iv) providing access to the internet.

Can your IPOD access the web?

i got a fine for eating a calypo whilst driving through newcastle in a golf cabrio in summer. roof down etc

Manchester Police use Smarts with roof cameras to film distracted drivers, then send a nice letter for contributions to the road safety partnership. Eating, phoning, turning round to kids in the back are all included.

Manchester Police use Smarts with roof cameras to film distracted drivers, then send a nice letter for contributions to the road safety partnership. Eating, phoning, turning round to kids in the back are all included.

Surely the camera is about the same size as a Smart car?

If you're driving while eating do you have to make a mistake to be fined or do they just presume that you are incapable of paying due attention to the road while eating?

'They' have to prove you were driving without due care or attention. Thats all there is to it.

A mobile telephone or other device is to be treated as hand-held if it is, or must be, held at some point during the course of making or receiving a call or performing any other interactive communication function

“interactive communication function” includes the following: (i) sending or receiving oral or written messages; (ii) sending or receiving facsimile documents; (iii) sending or receiving still or moving images; and (iv) providing access to the internet.

Can your IPOD access the web?

That makes sense, but when they go through all the protocol they do with the, "you may not say anything etc....." Police go to such lengths to explain themselves, and the law, but never have I heard them mention on any of the Road Cop Wars Stop programs any other handheld devices, other than mobiles.

They should really drive the point home because if I got pulled for changing a song, under the same conditions of being on the phone I would be very surprised :wacko: .

haha i'm watching that motorway cops now. The phone bird reckons she's 30 and has a 19 year old daughter hahahaha!

That made me LOL. She was so stupid. I am 50, no 30. I had a kid when I was 11. Oh gawd!

I remember reading in the press last year that using a satnav whilst driving is alsio an offence.

If in doubt, pull over.

But if you're on the motorway then what can you do when you hear that the junction that you're approaching is choc-a-bloc? What's a lesser offence...touching my iPhone screen a total of three times or pulling over onto the hard shoulder?