Lupo GTI (6-speed) or Fiesta ST

which car

Evening guys. Looking to uprgade to a better car soon, stuck between the lovely Lupo GTI and the Fiesta ST. I know performance isn't everything, far from it, but if I am gonna go ahead n spend around 5k I want my moneys worth. So my question is, which of the two cars is truly faster? Please don't just quote 0-60s off the net. Have any GTI owners raced a Fiesta ST, if so what was the outcome?

Also on a seperate note, am I correct in saying the 6-speed GTI would pull away from a 5-speed one at high speeds, say after 80mph? And if so would it be able to go on and reel in and overtake a Saxo VTS at higher speeds (naturally the VTS is quicker off the mark)

If anyone could shead any light on these issues it would be much appreciated as I'm really split between the two cars.

Thanks

:)

I assume you are talking "track days".

Official figures 0-60: 8.1/7.9 and top speed: 127/129 in favour of the ST on both aco****s. Being so close a lot would depend on the driver, tyres and condition.

Totally different cars though and the VW equivilant, size wise, would be a Polo GTI which runs 147bhp.

Iv never driven a gti but the st can be had for 5k with way less miles than the gti because this was the dilema i was in a few years back and went st, easyer to mod due to more parts available, more sts in uk than gti (we all know how rare the lupo/arosas are lol) so easyer to get 2nd hand stuff. Iv got gti seats in my arosa and now i can defo say th interior ect is better in the st. The st isnt fast imo but neither are alot of cars until your talking megan f1's ect but it defo can handle and if you like ur twisties i can assure you itl deliver. But then again its a ford fiesta and lots of people seam to have a problem with that.

if you have the cash itb's, supercharge setups or 2.3ltr conversions are being done alot these days for around 4k. The current fast ford mag is a st special and has everything you need to choose if its 4 u. but theres a reason im in an arosa tdi now lol. 35mpg int bad tho, get alot coming down from big power cars for the mpg but i couldnt hack it lol.

You pay your money and taka ur choice :)

One of my good friends has a st. i have a 5 speed gti. when both where standard it was very close up until when i changed into 4th in the gti and pulled away quite well. now he has spent thousands on it with cams etc its obviously faster.

Cheers for the responses. I know neither car are considered to be "blistering" but I'm coming from a Saxo VTR so getting one of these would be a huge step up in performance and class. I could get a faster car, were insurance groups not n issue. Was also looking at a Mitsubishi Colt CZT, but having just test drove one, I didn't enjoy it.

Think I'm tempted to go for the GTI as its rarer, more luxurious inside, and more respected than an ST, also cheaper to insure. Not really into modifying cars but will look into getting a custom remap if I do get one. Give it 10+ bhp to help me keep up with those damn VTS' :)

Evening guys. Looking to uprgade to a better car soon, stuck between the lovely Lupo GTI and the Fiesta ST.

Also on a seperate note, am I correct in saying the 6-speed GTI would pull away from a 5-speed one at high speeds

Your asking which is the better car on a lupo forum :confused:

ask the same question on a fiesta forum and see what answer you get there :lol:

personally the gti hands down,its a VOLKSWAGON, st are 10 a penny there bloody everywhere,so there slightly faster

on paper,so what :rolleyes: i doubt on a track theres anything between them

as for the 6 speed b***s*** my friend has a 6 i have a 5,if anything my 5 pulls slightly ,as the gear ratios are slightly longer

he has to change gear more,on the track theres no difference top end :D

Buy something turbod and jap and be faster than both of them

agreed, if you dont care about mpg ud be better off with a car thats quick, for me the speed isnt worth the running costs tbh

there just not quick enough

Edited by westie1

Buy something turbod and jap and be faster than both of them

Nissan 200SX and spunk the rest on insurance. Or a Clio 172/182 can be picked up easily for less than 5k.

For 5k you can get something a lot faster, yet still fairly cheap to run and reliable. I paid 900 quid for my Golf VR6 and that is far quicker than the ST and the Lupo GTi.

i think most people on here and owners of the lupo gti will tell you we dont own them for the speed. Im lucky i spose cus i inherrited some serious wedge and could have bought a very rapid car, but the fact is i absolutely love the gti, i get flashed waved at and pipped by people all the time and it always makes me smile. The gti oozes charisma and has personality. ST's are cold and characterless. Its hard to put ya finger on the love people have of lupos, and the gti, it just is what it is and its the way the car makes you feel. wont be chopping it in for years. as for saxo vts', again a lot will be down to driver ability etc etc. Im not just saying this to upset people and rile up owner but i am yet to see a tastefully modified saxo (maybe its just all the pikey losers in cornwall???). they just give off that tacky aura. sorry. the lupo gti has a refined german air of quality in its presence.

Edited by hunid-brake

Agree with hunidbrake on the Saxo front... Hateful cars. Lad over the road from me bought a fiesta st recently and I have no problem losin him in the twistys, but as said before it's mostly down to driver ability when the difference in performance is so small as it is between the gti and the st. Fords to me have just always seemed boring and lacklustre. Go for the gti everytime... Not as rapid as people sometimes say but will ALWAYS make u smile.

Edited by GtiJames

Having driven my GTi and my sisters ST, as seen in the picture (for proof :D )

The ST is faster in a straight line and acceleration seems to be better from all speeds but if you were to race these two cars on twisty roads I'd back the GTi hands down.

Lupo2.jpg

I think once you have a Lupo or an Arosa, there is just something special about it that you cant explain, once you own one you will know what I mean.

Yes I agree with what you've said, they're fun car's despite the lack of speed.

Similar to a cinq sporting like that. My cinq was £300 and I loved it more than my weekend car because it made me feel silly driving it, which was fun and made me feel happy inside it.

Both cars aren't that fast, but will give a massive grin, i think it's obvious that i'd prefer a Lupo GTi, they are just awesome cars.

A lot of parts of parts available for the ST vs the GTi though.

Who cares which is faster?! If the ST is faster I'm sure there's a squillion ways of chipping/tuning/remapping a Lupo to make it faster than an ST if that's all that matters :confused:

Without ever driving a Fiesta ST I think you're looking at 2 totally different cars, don't think you're likely to get too many people drag racing a Lupo GTI down Meggies seafront but not sure you could say the same about a Fiesta ST? I may be wrong....

Up to you though, it's your hard earned cash

the thing is a lot us gti owners could have probably afforded to buy an ST if thats what we wanted. Anyway, we didnt, and ive never heard of anyone being so dissatisfied with their choice and chopping it in for an ST. Again i was out in town last night and stumbled across a load of lads with modded cars in a car park. A lad there had a new ST but when i pulled up everyone was crowded round my car giving lots of praise and positive comments sayin they loved it. That ALWAYS makes me feel good. The fact is none of these lads had ever seen a modded Lupo Gti. Everyone in town knows my car now and i get people i dont even know approaching me to talk, or flashing me and waving. Its just got the X factor if you ask me.

I'd have my money on the ST being a faster car as I'd assume being a 2.0ltr it has more torque than the GTI engine, of course there is the weight difference to take into account.

The Lupo has bags more character and exclusivity than the Fiesta ST and I personally prefer the looks of the Lupo GTI as well. It's far less typical.

If you're after performance and handling go for a Clio 182 that is definitely quicker, if you're after character and exculisivity without it being all about speed then the Lupo GTI is the one you want.

I would personally buy the Gti,

Not quite sure about the ST and the Gti round the twists, i think the ST would be quicker. If there is one thing the Gti lacks its handling.

i will be purchasing another 1 in the coming years tho, they're just awesum!