My Exciting Day on The Hard Shoulder

LiamD

Well, this is why I wasn't at Elsecar today. <_<

Me and Sian Marie were happily tootling down the M1, just topped up with fuel at Wetherby and probably only about 30 mins away. I quickly checked my mirrors and saw the Xenon lights and chrome grille of a Mk5 R32 fast approaching. The traffic was clear and as such, I gave the R32 owner a bit of shock.

DSC_0027-8.jpg

DSC_0028-7.jpg

DSC_0033-10.jpg

I slowed down to let Sian Marie catch up and began to hear a rattly sound, like a bit of loose trim or a loose bracket. So I slowed down more thinking it was something catching on a tyre... then as we approached the M1/A1M junction, I heard a "pshhhhht" and the car died, so I threw it into the hard shoulder. My first instinct was a tyre blow out... but after popping the bonnet it all came quite clear what had happened.

DSC_0035-11.jpg

DSC_0037-3.jpg

So, since I carry a spare charger belt, I called the RAC for help. It's a bit of a bugger to change, and I didn't have the tools to change it with me, so I phoned the RAC saying my fanbelt had snapped, assuming if I said supercharger belt they would just send a low loader... :ph34r:

DSC_0038-8.jpg

Photo-0432.jpg

RAC man then arrived, and sent Sian on her way, as she was parked illegally, and she very kindly went to the next services on the M1 hoping it was just the charger belt needing replacing and I wouldn't be too long. The RAC man obviously couldn't do this in the hard shoulder, so towed me over to the A63, about 4 miles away so he had a bit more room and it was more safe.

Photo-0433.jpg

Photo-0434.jpg

Bits of the charger belt were everywhere, and it soon became apparent that some parts had got behind, or entangled, in the timing belt. So RAC man removed the cover and this is what we found... :mellow::(

Photo-0435.jpg

Photo-0437.jpg

I then became slightly annoyed and added to the dented look of the car...

Photo-0436.jpg

Things then got worse, as if it could, the RAC had kindly changed my policy last month. I used to have nationwide recovery, I now have 10 mile free recovery; not good, when I broke down near Leeds, and live near Redcar, 70 miles away. RAC man informed me it would cost me 390 quid to recover me home. :huh:

I obviously told the RAC to cockeral off and I would sort my own recovery, this is where my luck slightly changed. My Dad was racing his car at York Dragstrip about 45 mins away, and had his van and trailer there. I phoned him up and he very kindly cut short his days racing to collect my car, and then take it home.

Photo-0438.jpg

Photo-0439.jpg

Photo-0440.jpg

So I now have a few options. Hope and pray little damage was done and I can just simply fit a new timing belt, doubtful, but surely my luck must change somewhere? If not, I shall be enquiring about buying a new daily, but a nice one! Then maybe a little engine conversion and re-paint for the Polo ;)

I do apologise to the people who wanted to see it today, and to Sian for causing her stress and making her miss some of the show. Sorry :(

bad luck dude :) i popped down to the york dragstrip from newcastle with a few mates was a pretty cool day.... was your car still up on the van at the show??? because we where having a look around at the cars and my mate who drives a GT and my mate who drives a g40 seen a black mk3 polo up on a van and wanted to check it out but then thought we'd look like dicks investigating a car on a van next to a few tents =/ lmao

sure it was urs like :) looked nice tbf :D wish i had popped over if it was

Edited by BaileyVW

sorry to hear this liam i know how you feels for this to happen it isnt nice especially after youve just got it all sorted onwards and upwards mate im sure it will all work out

Unlucky buddy, thats a real shame ofter 2000 miles! id speak to awtracksport about it though!

You might be lucky, the G40 has a big dish in the pistons, the valves might go in to that dish. Meaning your head will be alright.

John

so did you kick the car and do / make that huge dent?

guttering when that happens. Really hope there isnt any more damage done when it snapped.

Oh and another thing I would just like to add...

Yes, I do have a well paid job and yes I do drive a "rusty" mk3 Polo.

I also have a house to pay for too, so at the age of 18 I don't think I'm doing too bad for myself.

So sorry if my car is not up to your standards but I'd rather drive my car than spend a grand on **** wheels ;) EDIT: Which I shagged after 3 days

Edited by Sian-Marie