GTi Mileage

bossjohnc

It is, although defcon speaks some sense. Petrol evaporates very easily, and so the slower you put it into the tank, the less evaporates. So if you had two epople filling up a lupo, one filling up slowly, one filling up fast, both putting in £25, the person filling up slower would, in theory, get more petrol

Defcon speaks sense, it was blackcat that was talking about his e-mail transmitted theory! :wacko:

Jen: beat him!

But the person filling up slower would have their fill cap open for twice as long so surely more would evaporate?

Yeah! :rolleyes:

And the loss through evaporation wouldn't exactly give you a noticable extra mileage. As I've just read elsewhere, you'd probly save more fuel by making sure you empty your bowels every time you drive your car.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defcon speaks sense, it was blackcat that was talking about his e-mail transmitted theory! :wacko:

Jen: beat him!

Yeah! :rolleyes:

And the loss through evaporation wouldn't exactly give you a noticable extra mileage. As I've just read elsewhere, you'd probly save more fuel by making sure you empty your bowels every time you drive your car.

Whoops :P

It wouldn't give anything noticeable, but facts is facts :P

Edited by Joe

Extracted from : http://sifatid.multiply.com/journal/item/34

---

When you're filling up do not squeeze the trigger of the nozzle to a fast mode. If you look you will see that the trigger has three (3) stages: low, middle, and high. In slow mode you should be pumping on low speed, thereby minimizing the vapours that are created while you are pumping. All hoses at the pump have a vapour return. If you are pumping on the fast rate, some of the liquid that goes to your tank becomes vapour. Those vapours are being sucked up and back into the underground storage tank so you're getting less worth for your money.

---

Now this actually makes a bit of sense... vapour can't be allowed to escape on to the forecourt (at least not lots of it), so a vapour return makes absolute sense. If the fuel goes gushing in, it'll swish around, swirl up and release petrol vapour. The more I think about it, the more I recall hearing this take place.

I don't think I'll be filling up mega slowly even so... filling up is boring enough as it is.

An update.

Unfortunately a bit of town driving / manouvering has been necessary since the last update, but I got back on to the motorway last night. I hit 1/4 tank at around 345 miles, and the light came on at 390 miles.

Currently sitting at 402.8 miles just at the top of the red. I don't think I'm going to make 450 somehow :(

An update.

Unfortunately a bit of town driving / manouvering has been necessary since the last update, but I got back on to the motorway last night. I hit 1/4 tank at around 345 miles, and the light came on at 390 miles.

Currently sitting at 402.8 miles just at the top of the red. I don't think I'm going to make 450 somehow :(

That's not bad at all for a GTI. Over 400 miles to a tank is great!

Thats good going!

Ive never filled the expansion tank right up full though.

Just as a guage, my TDi does on average about 350-360 miles from full (not filling expansion tank) to the light coming on. I think it works out to around 60MPG ish, i think.

If this fuel difference keeps on increasing, it ight be worth me swapping to a GTi :lol: It would be a good excuse anyway ;)

It's over. I can't tell you how good it felt to fill the tank up and put my foot down!

The last mile I spent 30 minutes doing, around Tower Bridge at 7:30am, fearful that I'd run out and make the traffic even worse than it was! The needle wasn't touching white though, still in the red so all was well.

Final mileage was 422.1

I managed to fill the tank up with 41.1 litres of V-Power afterwards :wacko: (it cost me £51.74)

That makes my MPG 46.7 - which is actually pretty dissapointing. The tank consisted of 2.5x the M25, 2 trips through the city centre, and quite a lot of faffing around with short journeys. I do think I could do a lot better, but I think I'll wait a while before trying again :lol:

That is pretty good going really, what is your best?

Whats a GTi do with normal driving, on average?

Vw claims the tank is 34 litres, so given that you never let it run dry, it must make the expansion tank getting on for 10 litres?

Im not patient enough to last a full tank at sensible speeds :lol: So good on you for trying!

Thanks all - yes, I definitely got 41 litres in there, and yes, I recon there's a good 10 litres over VW's stated 33 litre capacity available to fill.

I usually find myself filling up shortly before hitting 300 miles, say about 280ish. This is with mixed driving, but not driving economically. Sometimes it's less than that though ;)

over 300 miles to a tank in a gti??????????????

Somethings wrong with mine then cos i'm constantly getting a little over 200miles to the tank. i'd have to drive like a granny to reach that!!!

It has a lot to do with how many long motorway journeys you do and what speed you do on it.

Sticking to 70 makes a hell of a difference, and 60 is even better.

I wouldn't worry if you're getting over 200, I got 180 miles til the light came on for the first year and a half I had mine! Now I see about 230-240 on average.

i supose its my love of country lanes and the lupo's free revving nature thats wasting it for me, and typical motorway speed see's 4k revs so thats prob not helping. think ur right about the 60-70 bit.

I done a final fill up after our weeks holiday.

542 miles cost £80 exactly, though I filled it up using the black button.

I work it out that I averaged about 41mpg.

Some careful motorway driving with roofbox, some normal town driving with and without box and a couple of trips giving it the welly!

So in all not too bad.

The bonus of the 'black button fill' is that I've done 25 35miles and the needle hasn't yet moved from the top mark. Feels like free motoring!

Edited by Silver!

Bossjohnc, im so chuffed the engine is going well for you mate!

Im still getting about 40 to the gallon, and thats mostly town driving at the moment. I had to use normal 95 unleaded and the car hated it so im going back to super ASAP! Car revs more freely i find, and better mpg overall...

Bossjohnc, im so chuffed the engine is going well for you mate!

Me too! I appreciated it might have been a bit of a risk, but I didn't really have anywhere else to get a 6sp GTI engine from at such short notice. It's going like a peach - absolutely faultless, touch wood.

The bonus of the 'black button fill' is that I've done 25 35miles and the needle hasn't yet moved from the top mark. Feels like free motoring!

You can do better than that! After the 41 litre fill up I got 95 miles without the needle moving - that was town driving mainly, with heavy acceleration and braking. Also a lot of 'give it some welly' motorway driving. I do think that perhaps it wasn't as full as that when I started my economy run, so my mpg probably was better than I've calculated, although unfortunately there's not really any precise way to calculate it (even the fuel guage needle moves depending if you're going up or downhill).

You can do better than that! After the 41 litre fill up I got 95 miles without the needle moving - that was town driving mainly, with heavy acceleration and braking. Also a lot of 'give it some welly' motorway driving. I do think that perhaps it wasn't as full as that when I started my economy run, so my mpg probably was better than I've calculated, although unfortunately there's not really any precise way to calculate it (even the fuel guage needle moves depending if you're going up or downhill).

The most precise way to calculate MPG, as i keep getting told by jon_273, is:

When your fuel light comes on, press yout trip to zero and fill up shortly after (it doesnt matter how long you leave it, just obviously it will be empty) Then fill up the car, and the expansion tank if you wish, the next time the light comes on is exactly how many miles you have done on that fuel you have put in. So use your receipt from that fill to calculate the MPG.

Then when the light comes on, press the trip and start all over again. Its also useful when you just put in £10 or whatever, as you can see exactly how much fuel you have used for that many miles.

That way you dont get inaccurate readings from topping up the car but either putting too much or not enough fuel in as was there before you started, effecting MPG.

This is of course, relying on the fact the light coming on at exactly the same time each fill!

This is of course, relying on the fact the light coming on at exactly the same time each fill!

That's the thing, it doesn't! The light comes on when the guage is at a certain point, and doesn't go out again until you fill it (although I have seen this happen - guessing it may be on a timer of some sort).

If you go up a steep hill, the guage will drop. Same for the reverse... so it's not accurate.