tyre strechy

Cooky

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely when the car is going sideways a lot of force is going through the sidewall, like when you push a FWD car hard on stretched tyres it understeers even more?

I don't see any problem with stretched tyres, as long as it's not too excessive, but that looks **** anyway. A subtle stretch is nice, but only if you have to, stretched tyres and arch gap isn't good.

When drifting you are spinning the wheels so there is hardly any lateral (sideways) forces. You could push a car round in a donut if the wheels are spinning. Only get a blow out when the tyre rubber burns through. Be different if they were cornering under load with the tyre trying to grip the surface.

i totally agree with cruseo here! To be honest it wasn't until i started riding bikes that i ever started really checking my tires... I could feel when the tires were cold and not at the correct PSI. They are so important.. it should be against the law to run stretched tires.. just like its against the law to run with bald tires!

If anyone read my first post the link to the police forum showed they would be illegal and invalidate your insurance in the event of an accident and police investigation.

What do the Police know, apart from what they think is correct? They don't know their arses from their elbows most of the time when it comes to who can do what in on or a motor vehicle. That's why so many court cases are thrown out because of so called loopholes.

I was pulled up by the Police outside my own house after they followed me for two miles when I'd gone home for my lunch from work on my 'ped. Apparently, I didn't have a licence to ride one, despite passing my driving test in 1987. Fifty minutes later of arguing the toss and eventually daring them to arrest me and opting to go to court, they said they'd look into it. Obviously, they never let me know what the outcome of their 'investigation' was.

If they can't get basic licencing right, what hope have you got with non-bald tyre regulations?

Edited by IDGM

agree there isn't much chance of being stopped for it but if you had an accident like a high speed blow out and other people were involved then the traffic investigation guys would spot it pretty quickly. It's like swapping the front disks for a painted set of drums. Might look pretty but purposefully degrading the performance of a major part of your car. And saying it's ok because the drifters use them is like saying running bald tyres is fine and give the most grip because look at how fast the F1 cars go on slicks. :lol:

Just as a reminder what can happen have a read at pistonhead user 10 Pence Short's diary if you haven’t already, makes a sobering read.

http://www.prisondiary.co.uk/

it should be against the law to run stretched tires.. just like its against the law to run with bald tires!

Going past the specified maximum width rim that a tyre can be used with simply comes down to the fact that your Insurance would be void.

For example my 215's are only Type approved to run on 6.5" to 8.5" wide rims.

If you were to put them on a 9" wide rim then they would not be type approved for the road and thus wouldn't be legal for road use.

Most Insurers will Instantly void your policy if they had any knowlege you were using any parts that were not type aproved for road use! This even comes down to Superbikes with Noisy exhausts/Race can's.

The whole thing seems to be a grey area, but when you look at things realistically... It's not good.

getting a ticket for them is one thing, having a blow out and ending up on the wrong side of the road is another... I posted a link to 10pence off piston heads a while back...

So just to add lets say you do have a blow out.

Your rim could be ****ed up.

The replacement tire will have a different amount of tread depth left, which is not good.

lets say this for a hypothetical story not too far off what could really happen. (worse case scenario and all that!)

Boy racer with over stretched tires kills family.

Off to prison you go

Job prospects? forget about that.

Death by dangerous driving on your license. forget about getting into any nice metal after that.

if you badly injured yourself or at worst kill yourself your family will be wrecked. I guess if you put yourself in a wheelie chair then you can get some stretched rubber.. Very euro stylie that could be a bonus.

now i can understand performance mods. but making your car more dangerous just so it looks cooler parked up is beyond me. Having a blowout on a corner is probably one of the worst things that could happen to you. Its such an unpredictable thing to happen its not as if you can really practice for it either. all for something you can hardly notice on the car anyway. You could just shrug this off as it wont happen to me but about two months ago I saw a car roll into a crowd of people. Three peoples lifes were changed that day. Three people lost limbs at the scene. Bad **** happens to people all the time no point increasing the risk of it happening to you!

harmless fun.

image001-1.gif

Edited by Putney

i drove around on them very same teledials with the same tyres fitted for at least a year. not a single problem.

well with people saying their car tires lose pressure and have the wrong psi all round and a few blowouts etc all kind of says it all really... you might be fine and never have a problem but the day something like a deer runs out into the road and you have to swerve out the way to miss it. The last thing you want is your car you have spent all that money on going into a ditch / tree / on coming car and finding out you are uninsured due to your tires... There is no point declaring your wheels to the insurance company if you run stretched rubber.

I hope nothing happens to you. I really do.

getting a ticket for them is one thing, having a blow out and ending up on the wrong side of the road is another... I posted a link to 10pence off piston heads a while back...

So just to add lets say you do have a blow out.

Your rim could be ****ed up.

The replacement tire will have a different amount of tread depth left, which is not good.

lets say this for a hypothetical story not too far off what could really happen. (worse case scenario and all that!)

Boy racer with over stretched tires kills family.

Off to prison you go

Job prospects? forget about that.

Death by dangerous driving on your license. forget about getting into any nice metal after that.

if you badly injured yourself or at worst kill yourself your family will be wrecked. I guess if you put yourself in a wheelie chair then you can get some stretched rubber.. Very euro stylie that could be a bonus.

now i can understand performance mods. but making your car more dangerous just so it looks cooler parked up is beyond me. Having a blowout on a corner is probably one of the worst things that could happen to you. Its such an unpredictable thing to happen its not as if you can really practice for it either. all for something you can hardly notice on the car anyway. You could just shrug this off as it wont happen to me but about two months ago I saw a car roll into a crowd of people. Three peoples lifes were changed that day. Three people lost limbs at the scene. Bad **** happens to people all the time no point increasing the risk of it happening to you!

What he said. :yes:

You can have a blow out on a normal tyre as well. People are making it out like it only happens with stretched tyres. Personally I'd prefer to run 4 brand new stretched tyres which are a good brand, good quality tyre and that all match in terms of brand and how much they are worn. Unlike most cars on the road that are just a mix and match of whatever tyres were cheapest and/or with different treads depths.

I take what tyres I used very seriously and I won't change a single tyre. At very least I will do it in pairs, even then I won't get a different brand or model of tyre. Always has to be all four that match.

Everyone has there own things that they just don't agree with. For me stretched tyres isn't an issue. I've never had problems with them before and I've never met anyone who has had problems with them that was definitely down to the tyre being stretched. If you don't have the correct PSI in your tyres and you have a blow out, thats your own fault for not checking your tyre pressures. Or in my case for not checking the bolts were tight and the sealer was fully dry!

I check my tyres on a weekly basis. It take 2 mins to make sure everything is okay.

I have never had a problem, well once. I hit a curb at abut 25mph due to a white van man, then about a week later the tyre popped off. part from curbin I don't see whats wrong with them. as long as its not too silly. But regular tyre checks don't take long to od and can save lives. PSI check too. People over look little things like that.

People are quick to jump on the assumsion that its the stretch thats to fault. could be a faulty tyre, or something else...

I just think there's going to be a safety margin. A 195 tyre isn't going to go from being perfectly safe on an 8J rim to being dangerous on an 8.5J rim. They're always going to add a bit to cover themselves, as if they can make it pop off a 9.5J wheel they're not going to set the limit at 9J, they'll knock it down a few levels to be on the safe side. Just like everything else on sale.

What manufacturers say is safe and what the product can do safely are always very different. Cause they know theres always going to be people who push it a bit further than what they've stated.

Has anyone actually got these laws written down in black and white then?

After much browsing on Ed38 it seems it's a grey area, and up to the Officer who pulls you over.

I'm not a fan of stretched tyres, but the scare mongering that surrounds them would fit in well with an edition of the Daily Mail!

What manufacturers say is safe and what the product can do safely are always very different. Cause they know theres always going to be people who push it a bit further than what they've stated.

In my PERSONAL opinion. I don't think a 165 tyre on a 7.5" Rim is unsafe.

But from my Professional experience, It voids your insurance and I've even seen people get screwed over as a result.

And what with all the people who moan at people out their who don't declare mods (and right they are to moan)

I don't see why those same people would ignore simple facts surrounding this matter when it's exactly the same story!

As I've mentioned many times in this topic - If your manufacturer says the tyre shouldn't be fitted to anything over a width wheel, by fitting them its the same as having a modification not declared on your insurance.

Edited by AwesomeAl

@phil - yeah man they were up to pressure with no leaks either. its mad innit.

@earni - yeah man im sound

@ the rest - im not saying dont run stretch, i still will, just not on motorways tbh. its just wierd how both times ive ran strecth... bang. but without a stretch nothing of the sort has happened!

but thats nothing compared to what happened to me when i got back to work!!