tyre strechy

Cooky

soo, here it goes...

driving back from huddersfield yesterday, doing about 70-75 gps, front tyre goes bang after going over a cats eye. swerved all over the road but managed to pull over to the hard shoulder on the m1 near boroughbridge. only been running my teledials with 165/50/15 potenzas for 3 weeks and it was a brand new tyre. the whole side wall of the tyre had came away from the rest.

this happened to me before when i was running the same tyre on my bbs rm. theyd only been on a week.

im lucky that i never crashed both times. something bad could of happened to me or even worse to my mates.

so to anyone doing a bit of distance and running a stretch, id say change to some wheels that dont have a stretch. cos it might happen to you which wouldnt be to good like!

amen

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont be a pussy, 195/45s! lol!

Unlucky about you though cooky, weird really, maybe it depends on the tire? My mate has had stretch on his 8s and 9s for ages and he's not had a single problem?

All tires stretch differently dont they?

Didn't this happen to Kam as well on his way to Edition 38 ?

Yes it did

P290808_0951.jpg

I also have 165's fitted to my teledials, i did some very spirited driving around north yorkshire last year without any problems at all, but i do worry about them!

Technically if you had crashed and injured someone your insurance might be void and you could be done for dangerous driving with several years in prison too I think (stranger things have happened). Not sure what stretch you were running but why anyone would run tyres outside the recommended spec of the manufacturer is beyond me, they are the most important thing for keeping you on the road after all.

http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=24937

Im surprised running an over stretched tyre is not illegal actually, its not exactly safe.

You did well to control it, many blow outs cause nasty or even fatal accidents. Blow outs are one of the biggest causes of motorway accidents and deaths. Its easy to help avoid a blow out, but why risk it by running over stretched tyres? :confused:

Im surprised running an over stretched tyre is not illegal actually, its not exactly safe.

You did well to control it, many blow outs cause nasty or even fatal accidents. Blow outs are one of the biggest causes of motorway accidents and deaths. Its easy to help avoid a blow out, but why risk it by running over stretched tyres? :confused:

As far as I'm aware it is illegal.

Tyres are only approved for road use on specific width of rims.

For example my 215's are only Type approved to run on 6.5" to 8.5" wide rims.

If you were to put them on a 9" wide rim then they would not be type approved and thus not legal for road use.

Kam's blowout was on a 6.5J, and Potenzas are recommended for up to 6J, so not an enormous stretch.

I think he put it down to fitting the tyres and driving on them too soon after rebuilding the rims, and the sealant hadn't gone off properly. He checked his other tyres on the way home from Edition and one was at 14psi and one was at 5psi, so it's quite possible.

Were yours definately up to pressure? You're seriously unlucky with wheels man!

I've gone very fast for fair periods of times and done a canny few 200 mile journeys with 165/50's on 8J's and I haven't died yet. Fingers crossed!

Edited by Philplop

Yeah mine only went down because I had only rebuilt and put the tyre back on that morning. Sealer hadn't set and it started letting air out of the bolt hole. I was driving slowly to find somewhere to stop and pump up the tyre but it shreaded itself anyway. lol.

I ran my 165/50s on an 8 at motorway speed loads of times last year. I've always run Bridgestones on my car and I've never had a problem with them yet. Other than one down to my own stupid mistake.

You can have a blow out with stretching tyres as well. It happens all the time but you don't ever hear about it because its not though of as a big deal if the tyre fits the wheel. But as soon as its a stretched tyre people start to cry about it. Think about how many people run stretched tyres and how many actually have problems with them. FFS drifters go mad for them and they put a lot more strain on tyres than any of us will ever do!!

FFS drifters go mad for them and they put a lot more strain on tyres than any of us will ever do!!

:rolleyes: there is very little loading on a spinning tyre, the centrifugal forces are increased hugely allowing the tyre to expand against the weight of the car pushing down. Flexing in the side wall is what gives the most tyre load so going over a high speed bump is most likely to give you a blow out. This effect would be increased when there is stretched sidewalls. Study some physics before making brainless comments ;)