tyre strechy

Cooky

In my PERSONAL opinion. I don't think a 165 tyre on a 7.5" Rim is unsafe.

But from my Professional experience, It voids your insurance and I've even seen people get screwed over as a result.

Care to post those examples? I've never heard of anyone have trouble to that extent because of stretched tyres.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Care to post those examples? I've never heard of anyone have trouble to that extent because of stretched tyres.

One of my customers with 16x9 Borbet A's on 195/40/16 tyres got pulled over because the police officer didn't think his tyres were legal.

Said policeman made a phone call to Toyo's UK Importer and asked what the maximum wheel width could be used with said tyres. Toyo stated that the tyres were only approved for use on a maximum of a 7.5" wide tyre.

Policeman then proceded to ask for insurance details. Rang the guys insurer to check the policy was valid (as he did't have his policy doccuments on him at the time) When the insurer confirmed he was insured the policeman asked the insurer if they knew he was running tyres that werent legal for road use. The insurer then cancelled his policy and his car was taken off him at the road side.

Its a very extreme case but at the end of the day, the law is the law and unfortunately ignorance or lack of knowlege is not an excuse that goes down too well. You never know what the policeman that pulls you over has been through in the past day.

If you are in doubt ring your insurance company and ask if it will have an impact on your insurance.

Call the police and ask them...

Then you will know.

I don't care either way but. If someone crashes into my car and they are running stretched tires... it will be photographed and reported to police and insurance company. :)

From the Horses Mouth

On the tyre front I have found these extracts from tyre makers websites:

Dunlop

"RIM WIDTH

Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.

If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. "

Toyo

"Serious personal injury or death can result from failure to select the proper tire and rim: Tire MUST match the width and diameter requirements of the rim. When mounting truck type radial tires use only wheels approved for radial tires.

NEVER put flammable substances in tire/rim assemblies at any time. Never put any flammable substance into a tire/rim assembly and attempt to ignite to seat the beads.

NOTE TO PROFESSIONAL TIRE INSTALLERS: Exceeding the maximum bead seating pressure — The tire service person must NEVER INFLATE BEYOND 40 POUNDS PRESSURE TO SEAT BEADS unless specified by the tire manufacturer! "

Call the police and ask them...

Then you will know.

I'm very tempted to drop the local friendly traffic cop I know an email at work and see what he says. Just to try and get a definite answer on it... or at least the policy that my local force operates to, which would concern quite a few people on here.

From the Horses Mouth

On the tyre front I have found these extracts from tyre makers websites:

Dunlop

"RIM WIDTH

Correct rim width ensures flex at the designed flex point in a tire sidewall for optimum tire performance.

If the rim is too wide, the flex point moves towards the rim area, causing heat buildup in the lower sidewall, which reduces tire life and could result in failure. Either too narrow or too wide of a rim can result in uneven tread/pavement contact pressure causing uneven wear and potentially reduced traction, or increased vulnerability to bead dis-lodgement. "

Toyo

"Serious personal injury or death can result from failure to select the proper tire and rim: Tire MUST match the width and diameter requirements of the rim. When mounting truck type radial tires use only wheels approved for radial tires.

NEVER put flammable substances in tire/rim assemblies at any time. Never put any flammable substance into a tire/rim assembly and attempt to ignite to seat the beads.

NOTE TO PROFESSIONAL TIRE INSTALLERS: Exceeding the maximum bead seating pressure — The tire service person must NEVER INFLATE BEYOND 40 POUNDS PRESSURE TO SEAT BEADS unless specified by the tire manufacturer!

Some more info from Yokohama.

"CUSTOMIZING

RIM/WHEEL WIDTH

Each Yokohama tire has a specific rim width range on which the tire can be mounted. Failure to follow rim width recommendations may result in poor tire performance or possible wheel and/or tire failure.

Below is a quick reference chart listing each Yokohama tire size and the acceptable rim widths for that size. Choosing a wheel near the middle of the range will give a balance between ride quality and handling. A wider wheel will improve handling at the expense of ride quality, while a narrower wheel will improve ride quality at the expense of handling. Consider these compromises when selecting wheels."

http://www.yokohamatire.com/customer_servi...zing_width.aspx

Edited by Putney

I just spoke to my police mate.. He is a firearms officer so not traffic. But he did say that if a police office looks at it and deems it dangerous for road use and has information backed up by the tire manufacture that the tire is been used other than intended or outside the manufactures guidelines then expect a ticket. He also said if you give them lip about it then you will more than likely get a proper traffic unit down who will look at everything on your car.

He was not sure if the car would pass or fail an MOT.

The chances of being caught are slim.. Speed camera’s look at number plates not tires. There are hardly any police on the roads these days.

At the end of the day a tyre is not meant to be stretched!

Its dangerous and by the sounds of it illegal!

I prefer handling over looks any day!

Edited by VWR Lupo

you knew this would always result in an argument,

i personally think stretch should be illegal... if it isn't already, but thats just my opinion,

if you dont listen to advice & safety precautions & something does go wrong & you hit someone else & kill them or something

its no longer down to the tyre manufacture saying the tyre failed, because it wasn't used as it should be,

however this is hypothetically speaking & i know it won't change the views of any of you "stretch gurus" so i'll leave you to it & just hope everything goes ok :)

stretched tyres look good for shows, but what looks good isnt always best ;)

you knew this would always result in an argument,

i personally think stretch should be illegal... if it isn't already, but thats just my opinion,

if you dont listen to advice & safety precautions & something does go wrong & you hit someone else & kill them or something

its no longer down to the tyre manufacture saying the tyre failed, because it wasn't used as it should be,

however this is hypothetically speaking & i know it won't change the views of any of you "stretch gurus" so i'll leave you to it & just hope everything goes ok :)

stretched tyres look good for shows, but what looks good isnt always best ;)

According to that thread on the police forum they are 100% illegal and not safe! Got to be honest I don't like them but thats only my opinion!

So it looks like if you run within the boundaries set by the manufacturer of your particular tyre, you'll be OK. Outside those limits, you're on your own and must be prepared to take the fallout if things go wrong. I'd also like to add that undertyreing (if that's a word) might also invalidate your insurance regardless of tyre-to-rim 'stretch'.

We're speculating on other points. The Police are clearly unable to make their minds up about it, but will always err on the side of caution. An MOT does not mean the car meets with C&U regulations (I've always been puzzled as to why the MOT is so lax).

If you're in doubt as to whether a modification is legal or safe, then it probably isn't. I vote for a lock.