Ross' Moon GTI

cafcross

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

photo0544.jpg

:rolleyes:

Looks good mate, dont mind me asking but how much did you pay for they tyres? Looking for the same set for my wheels

I paid £168 delivered from mytyres.co.uk.

Well had the tyres fitted today and then a trial fit of the wheels.....

Photo0548.jpg

Photo0549.jpg

Photo0551.jpg

Photo0559.jpg

The problem is the fronts are fouling on the calipers. So gonna have to phone up Venom tomorrow and order up some 5mm or 6mm spacers for the fronts and some 10mm spacers for the rears to even things out.

Edited by cafcross

Looks great bud!

Maybe go a tad lower though when everythings sorted...?

Nice to see its all sorted though! :)

Yeah will have to. Bit of a bugger tbh, no more visits to the local cinema for me!

Penry - wanna stance it so the rears are wider than the fronts, but may contemplate 10mm all round...

8s were about £23 a set I think.

And will be going lower when the spacers are on. May have to sell the 6s, put the 8s on the front and get some 13s for the rear....

Cheers for the comments!

Well finally got them on for good yesterday. Still need 10mm spacers for the rear (8mm atm) and the coilies need to be played with, but I'm very happy atm.

Pics (now with no red grill trim and front GTI badge for a cleaner look):

Photo0573.jpg

Photo0575.jpg

Photo0580-3.jpg

Photo0583-3.jpg

Well to say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

I ordered longer wheel bolts as, even though the normal bolts were fine, I wanted to be sure that the wheels wouldn't come off. I phoned up Venom to order them, and they asked me what size bolts I needed. I said I didn't know, but that I had 6mm and 8mm spacers. They calculated that I'd need 40mm bolts, so I ordered them there and then. They arrived Friday so Friday night I went outside to fit them as I had to be at work for 6 on Saturday morning, then drive to Leicester in the afternoon for French Car Show.

I put them on and then went to go round Tesco to check my tyre pressures. But the car wouldn't budge. No worries I thought to myself, they're obviously a bit too long, and as I'm ordering bigger spacers this week anyway, I won't bother putting them on until then. So I whacked the Bathursts back on with the normal bolts and went to park my car up properly. However there was a horrible noise coming from the front wheels, like metal rubbing on metal. As I needed to get to work in the morning etc I phoned the AA. Alas....I only have breakdown cover (a quarter of a mile or further away from your home). So I had to pay an extra £76 for home start. Worth it though imo.

The AA got to mine at just after 9pm. After taking off the front wheels it was apparant that the longer wheel bolts had gone in too far through the hub and pushed back and damaged the ABS ring and sensor, so this was rubbing, creating the noise. The sensor was disconnected and the ring fixed back into place, but both rings and sensors need replacing now.

So gonna have to phone Venom on Monday and ask them why they supplied me with the wrong size wheel bolts, and whether they're willing to pay for the new ABS sensors and rings.

Fuming!

Well to say I'm annoyed is an understatement.

I ordered longer wheel bolts as, even though the normal bolts were fine, I wanted to be sure that the wheels wouldn't come off. I phoned up Venom to order them, and they asked me what size bolts I needed. I said I didn't know, but that I had 6mm and 8mm spacers. They calculated that I'd need 40mm bolts, so I ordered them there and then. They arrived Friday so Friday night I went outside to fit them as I had to be at work for 6 on Saturday morning, then drive to Leicester in the afternoon for French Car Show.

I put them on and then went to go round Tesco to check my tyre pressures. But the car wouldn't budge. No worries I thought to myself, they're obviously a bit too long, and as I'm ordering bigger spacers this week anyway, I won't bother putting them on until then. So I whacked the Bathursts back on with the normal bolts and went to park my car up properly. However there was a horrible noise coming from the front wheels, like metal rubbing on metal. As I needed to get to work in the morning etc I phoned the AA. Alas....I only have breakdown cover (a quarter of a mile or further away from your home). So I had to pay an extra £76 for home start. Worth it though imo.

The AA got to mine at just after 9pm. After taking off the front wheels it was apparant that the longer wheel bolts had gone in too far through the hub and pushed back and damaged the ABS ring and sensor, so this was rubbing, creating the noise. The sensor was disconnected and the ring fixed back into place, but both rings and sensors need replacing now.

So gonna have to phone Venom on Monday and ask them why they supplied me with the wrong size wheel bolts, and whether they're willing to pay for the new ABS sensors and rings.

Fuming!

This is exactly why Awesome GTI will only supply bolts that are to be cut down to suit!

Well just got off the phone to Venom. The guy was very understanding and said that he's going to give me a very good discount on the 13mm spacers I'm ordering.

When i put my new wheels on after xmas, i drove 50 miles to cardiff with the car making a strange noise as if the wheel was catching the arch. Puzzled, kept on going thinking it must be the offset catching the arch liner. Got out in cardiff, jacked the car up on the scissor jack only to find that only the locking wheel nut was holding the wheel on properly, the other 3 had worked loose as they were too short only about 1 and a half threads were in when they were pinched tight. So id driven 50 miles at motorway speeds with my 2 front wheels held on by 1 bolt, and almost 200bhp going through them.

:ph34r:

Better too long than too short!

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I have a dilemma.

The coilovers have been sorted, so it's bang on how I want it. However I want to drive it, not poodle around in it!

Do I keep the wheels and just drive it fast in a straight line, or sell the wheels, whack the Bathursts back on in anthracite and fast-road it (which all my mates are telling me to do as that's what they're into).

Decisions decisions....