Ross' Moon GTI

cafcross

That sucks man! Hope all goes well in the body shop!

May have to get myself one of these snow foam lances. Too cold to give a proper hand wash!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bare in mind I'm down 100mm...no scrubbing on the fronts unless I'm turning sharply at speed i.e. a lot of weight going over one corner. But that's mainly been on just the top of the tyre.

As for the rears they scrub on bumps when the suspension compresses, mainly on the driver's side, which has taken away some of the side wall. When my car goes in the bodyshop for the rear bumper I'm having the arches rolled as well to sort it out (hopefully).

27/1/10

New interior went in last night. Nothing special, just some mk4 Golf Recaros. Met up with Mark at Thurrock Services where we spent the best part of an hour fiddling about trying to get the seats in mine, then breaking as many poppers as we could on the door cards. We eventually managed to manipulate them into place (see what i did there Mark? :)). All the leather has gone from mine now, just new fronts and standard GTI door cards for my leather fronts and rears and door cards, plus some cash my way. These are only a temporary measure though as buckets are coming soon...

Quick pic...

img0958c.jpg

Had to free up some cash. I could've sold my wheels and been debt free but why would I wanna do that?! Lol.

Buckets are gonna come so the leathers were gonna go eventually anyway.

Well had the tyres fitted today and then a trial fit of the wheels.....

Hey, if you don't mind me asking where did you get those wheels from I looked online for them but can't find and there veryyy nice ,cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I got them off some guy on E38. Crash has them now, or rather he bought them off me but don't know if he still has them.

I found one other set on ebay.de a while back with silver centres. No idea what the model is though, all I know is they're made by Rial.

• 2 weeks later...

They are the most comfortable seat ever! Shame mine aren't as nice as yours!

Well, what with the nice weather today I thought I'd better start preparing for UD. So I polished and sealed one wheel. Go me! Couldn't be bothered to do the other 3 as it started getting a bit cold. I used Autosol over the whole polished face, followed by some AG SRP and EGP, some Vinyl and Rubber Care on the black bits, and then finished with a couple of coats of Collonites 476S and some Megs Tyre Endurance Gel on the tyres.

100_1510.jpg

Also decided to put the GTI badge back on the grill as I felt it was looking a bit bare without it.

100_1511.jpg

Just got to pick my bumper up from being sprayed at the weekend, get the arches rolled, polish the other 3 wheels and a cuple of other tidbits, and my car will be ready for UD.

3 weeks and counting!

I've looked at what the guy who's doing mine did to my mate's Ibiza ones. I know they're slightly different, but they're rolled ever so tight. May need re-spraying, in which case we may leave the fronts for now, as I'm spacing the rears so they're the main ones I want doing. However I also want the fronts in more, so may take a grinder to the rear face of the front wheels to get them in a little bit more. Whether I trust myself to do that or not is a different matter...

The fronts are made from some super light, and super crap aluminium alloy.

Landrover originally brought and developed this sort of metal and other manufacturers cottoned on to it and started to use it. The material is formed at an extremely high temperature using a high pressure press.

This creates a very brittle and not very workable metal, The GTi arches are not like anything else sadly.

This is what i had an issue with, when my fronts rolled they were fine for about 10 mins, i drove down the road and they kinked right on the edge due to the lip being rolled back and slightly stretched. I think this might have been beacue they were flared too though, but its just a word of warning with only 3 weeks left before the show!

I have had to take the arches off, cut the lip pack and wire them, then fold the remaining small ammount of lip back over so it touches the arch. And luckily the arch went back to its shape.

If you can hang on, ill show you them at UD.

John

Geoff (the guy who is doing my arches) created this quite famous car

3983825922_814da74f08.jpg

plus quite a few others, he's had quite a few magazine features etc. Not trying to big him up etc, or knock you back John (as I totally understand what you're saying) but he has a fair lot of experience. At the end of the day though if he does work to my car and it messes up he'll redo it at no extra cost.

I will definitely look at your arches at UD. I'm not having my fronts flared though, so this may not be a problem. My passenger side arch however is not a genuine one as Penry got an aftermarket one when repairing it, and the lip on the arch is much smaller than the genuine one on the driver's side. I don't know if this will make much of a difference.

Why can't they just make 7" wide TH-Monos for my fronts? :lol: