Hey Roomie

Clairey Fairy

Just wondered if anyone here is a Landlord or lives in a shared house? I have to move out asap before someone in this house gets murdered! (Either my parents would kill me, or i kill them!!)

Id prefere it if i could move out and live with my dad, but since he got re-married he now has no room (Stepbro lives in my old room, and step-mum sold 2 houses to move in with dad. Contents of said 2 houses are somehow squished into my dads house. Therefore no spare room)

Trouble is, my wages are shocking (Barely over 12.5k) and Salisbury is a painfully expensive place to live. Ive been looking at prices for just renting a double room in a shared house, but i cant find anything for under £350 and thats not even including the bills!!

Am i being completely un-realistic in thinking that is plain crazy?! Do people seriously pay this just to live in a room?!

:wacko:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think its fair to say there are NO advantages to being southern.

Including the fact i have £600 to pay off my overdraft, and a GTi to insure, im thinking renting a skank room in someone else's house prolly wont be a good move....

Its just shocking, i seriously cant believe it!

Its canny mad.

Up here I charge £600 for a three bedroom flat per month! Excluding bills of course.

That's expensive!

Normally rent 2 or 3 bed flats in a posh area near to where I live for around 500-550 a month, which includes just water rates and private parking.

Its something ive considered doing ever sinse i turned 16. I want to do it, very much so - but i do have my reservations. I know i constantly moan about my parents doing my head in and needing to be away form them before they destroy me completley, im just not too sure im prepaired to lose all my immediate family over it.

They would actually dissown me. My family dont do empty threats :(

Just wondered if anyone here is a Landlord or lives in a shared house? I have to move out asap before someone in this house gets murdered! (Either my parents would kill me, or i kill them!!)

Id prefere it if i could move out and live with my dad, but since he got re-married he now has no room (Stepbro lives in my old room, and step-mum sold 2 houses to move in with dad. Contents of said 2 houses are somehow squished into my dads house. Therefore no spare room)

Trouble is, my wages are shocking (Barely over 12.5k) and Salisbury is a painfully expensive place to live. Ive been looking at prices for just renting a double room in a shared house, but i cant find anything for under £350 and thats not even including the bills!!

Am i being completely un-realistic in thinking that is plain crazy?! Do people seriously pay this just to live in a room?!

:wacko:

I am afraid that life in the South is expensive but take heart, as this economic slowdown really kicks in you will start to see rents fall as more and more people take in lodgers to make ends meet. Claire, I would think v. v. hard about moving out as the expense compared to living with the folks will be crippling. Just do the washing up occasionally and buy them a treat* now and then, they will love you for it...

* wine, flowers, chocolates or whatever the adults in your life like, we're a pushover like that.

I am afraid that life in the South is expensive but take heart, as this economic slowdown really kicks in you will start to see rents fall as more and more people take in lodgers to make ends meet. .

Actually I would expect to see rents rise due to the lack of available credit meaning people cannot raise capital to buy a house

Edited by Defcon5

Maybe it'll all just stay about level then, between these extra people needing to rent, and extra people renting out rooms for the extra money!

It's hugely more expensive to live on your own Claire, or even if you share with someone. I've seen a few places around Bath going for £400ish per month - those are just rooms in houses but does includes bills....still can't afford it though :lol:

Edited by lunalupi

It's crazy, for 700 a month, you can live in a rough area of a ****-hole - yes, London.

For 500 a month, I could live in a lovely new apartment with views of the North Yorkshire countryside, in a lovely peaceful and generally crime free town. Also with the benefit of some fantastic roads nearby for back road blasts.

I really do pity you Southerners! :lol:

Actually I would expect to see rents rise due to the lack of available credit meaning people cannot raise capital to buy a house

Although I understand this sentiment you have to remember that there are approaching 1 million empty properties in the UK. The property scarcity thing is a bit of a myth in my opinion. Secondly, many of our migrant workers will return home as unemployment rises, creating more vacant property. Thirdly, less younger people will move away from home, or will return to the nest as money gets tighter. Fourthly, more people will share houses (or take in lodgers) to reduce their outgoings. Finally, desperate landlords with empty properties will have to start lowering their rents or face financial ruin as this economic meltdown unfolds.

As for buying a property now, who in their right mind would want to?

I have a flat mate at the moment... The wife is not working!

I charge him £750 a month but that includes all bills, Its a flatshare so he uses all my stuff in the flat and also takes the passat to work when I am not using it... He is mate though! ;)

i love seeing the north and south gap get bigger and bigger the house i live in with my mum stepdad and brother only cost £565 and bill's on top

;)

Just need to find a nice bf with a place you can move into ;) just to rub it in I pay just under £250 a month mortgage for a nice two bed bungalow hehe spare room going free though, other payment options considered lol

Ps you need to add at least another £150 minimum a month on top of accomodation for things like council tax, tv licence, insurance, internet, phone, gas, electricity etc. Then theirs your food and drink bill on top of that, only realise how cheap living at home was when you leave.