1.0 vs 1.4

JBOB

Hi :D

I’m looking to get a Lupo/Arosa soon as a daily drive.

I’m giving up work in Sept to go to Uni (I’m 28 but it’s never too late) so with a family and student money coming in I’m going to need a more economical car. My g/f has a 1.4 16v S Lupo it's a fantastic to drive and never given us any problems.

The question I have is ........ Is the 1.0 Lupo/Arosa worth getting ?? I was looking at 1.4's as ive driven my g/f's quite a bit and although there is quite a difference in the performance of my Mk4 Golf Gti, it’s not bad at all :D

I know someone that’s selling a MINT '53 1.0 Arosa with 17k full history etc etc for only £2000 ..... Seems like a bargain but am I going to regret getting a 1.0 !! I will only be using the car for the 50 mile daily round trip to Uni and the odd trip to London to see my brother. You know I won’t be able to leave it standard though !!!

So 1.0 owners convince me B)

• Like 1

I thought 1.0's were less economical at motorway speeds due to the engine revving it's tits off to get anywhere? Or is that just if you drive them hard?

Correct, at 75 the engine is doing 4Krpm, so does drink at that kind of speed. Sitting at 60 is much more economical, and much more refined.

Mine does around 40mpg in the town, and about 45mpg on motorways. Im sure if you stick to 60 it will give 50 fairly easily though.

Those 1.0L lumps are piss poor. They will go on forever (like every other VW 1.0L) but you'll spend all your time hoping ti will break so you can replace it with something that isn't a sewing machine.

• Like 1

Thats a little unfair, they are prefect for town use and great first cars.

Ive done many a long trip in mine though, it copes perfectly, and im not one to sit at 60mph!

Ive seen 1.0 arosas with near 150K on the clock, recently an 04reg with 144K so thats quite some mileage for that newer car. Shows they are up to it.

Anyway, if most of your driving is motorway then once your up to speed its fine, quiet and still has pull, will go onto 95 easily if you wanted.

Providing its running the best it can, then it performs ok for what is a small engine in a fairly heavy body.

Obviously a 1.0 will never be quick, but i love mine, its great, really likes to be chucked around too.

For £2000 you can't go far wrong really. Is it the 'S' model? If so you get a few electrics and its easier to sell on!

Sorry to highjack the thread a little, but I have been wondering the same thing, I want to get a Lupo, and ideally the 1.4 16v sport, but as I will have no no-claims and it will be my first year driving I was wondering if it was a good idea.

Is there anything I should look out for with either model? And generally I was just looking for your opinions on both models and which one might be the better choice.

SDi might be the perfect solution. Or do what i did and buy a nice Arosa TDi, you can't go far wrong!

When i was doing a lot of miles is when i bought my TDI, i wanted more economy more than anything, plus more grunt on motorways is always nice! Although power wasnt really on my mind then. I used to get an average of 63MPG when i first got it, going down and down each month as i got used to driving it faster and faster! Down to about 55MPG average.

If you do buy either an SDi or a TDi then make sure its after 2001, as then it will be £35 a year road tax.

Although the 1.0 does pull well on motorways, i often see little 1.0 lupos/arosa passing everything on motorways!

BTH they are not that slow, most reviews say a 0-60 in 16 seconds (plus arosas are lighter - according to specs - and look more sporty, so of course they go better ;) )

For that price, why not just buy it and see how you get on, if you dont think its economical or fast enough then sell it, i can't see you losing on it!

Is there anything I should look out for with either model? And generally I was just looking for your opinions on both models and which one might be the better choice.

You need to look for all the common lupo problems on a sport, unfortunately they can suffer them all! Pedal box and gearbox being the main ones.

You need to look for all the common lupo problems on a sport, unfortunately they can suffer them all! Pedal box and gearbox being the main ones.

Yeah I’ve heard this before when looking around for info, im very tempted to go for the 1.0 for a year, save some money up and then move up the scale for the GTI, which is what I’ve always wanted :blush:

I own a 1.0 and tbh on a motorway its not too good, revs too high and makes a hell of a noise. I do 400 miles a week in the ****er. Thats why I'm selling mine, that and its too small..

But for fuel economy, on a motorway I get 200+ miles to £20 so 50mpg.. not so bad for a 4k revving ****er for 3 hours.

They're slow, there is no doubting that but they're not rediculously slow, you'll be able to see over 100 and cruise along at 60-70-80 with no problems. I've owned RS turbo's and god knows what, nothing has felt as nice on a motorway and around town, parking is a breeze and its just cheeky good fun. Wish I could afford a TDi tbh.. never mind!

Oh and as for problems, none, well apart from a new set of leads and sparks. Not bad for 20kmiles in 4 months! tyres look brand new.. mines up for £2250 if you're interested? bcranvey@googlemail.com for more info :)

Edited by flip2k3

It sounds like a good price for a mint 1.0 however I can also endorse the Diesel route.

Post 2001 loopy Diesels are cheap to tax and despite the rumours SDI's are not slow once up to speed. Sit at 80 mph on a motorway in an SDI and you should get 60 mpg and the engine will only be running at 3000 rpm. The TDI would probably manage this mpg as well and is more desirable but it is also much more complex and more expensive.

The 1.0 would not get anywhere near these mpg figures and I guess would be less relaxing than an oil burner.

Get an Arosa TDi

A bit more expensive initially but less problems than a petrol one, usually a decent spec, and you'll save a fortune on running costs. Get Dubwhizz to map it for you and you'll love it!

A few on Auto Trader for under 3k...

If you do buy either an SDi or a TDi then make sure its after 2001, as then it will be £35 a year road tax.

Every time I hear that mentioned I cry a little inside! Bloody thing was registered about 2 months earlier so I'm paying £120 a year.

Can deffinatly recommend the TDi though. Engines last for ever too

Hello,

I had a 1.0e Lupo as my first car, I kept it for five years and thought it was great. Acceleration was not its strongest point, but as stated earlier it was quite happy to tackle motorway journeys although it was a little buzzy if you really pushed it.

My brother had a couple of TDI sport Lupos and they were much better on the motorway but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Never tried an SDI so not qualified to comment.

Good luck anyway i am sure you'll have fun.

James

• 4 years later...

Are you that JBOB? As in the massive C U Next Tuesday that still owes me 40 odd quid?

Are you that JBOB? As in the massive C U Next Tuesday that still owes me 40 odd quid?

Look at the date, yes, it is that Jbob.

Yes, you are still due a cock drop.