Engine tickover a little noisy

Just had the bonnet up and the engine ticking over but it was a little loud, like ticking, sounded a little like tappets. Just wondering if anyone elses is a little loud. i know my last engine ticked a lot but that was normal (peugeot).

I dont have the engine cover on atm due to the BMC. But the engine on tickover didnt sound too impressive at all.

Yup was gunna say I've had an oil change as well didnt change it. Do you reckon it's the engine cover then or just trying to hide it? I don't mind the noise as long as I know it's normal.

Yeh mine makes a scarping type of noise for awhile when i start up in the cold

dont really no what it is.

Someone did mention something about the motor winding..dont no if that helps.

Its the power steering pump. Or atleast it is with mine! Also remember, plastic belt tensioners..

bound to be a bit noisy untill a bit noisy when cold. once its warmed up, there a tad more flexable.

Goes once its warmed up, check your power steering fluid level, and get some additive for the fluid, might quieten it down a bit.

ooo interested in the oil additive...

Whats the power steering addetive?

I'm not too worried as long as everyone elses Gti's arnt really quiet. Just dont wnat mine to be broken! Guna have a play with my engine cover tho, chop it up, how much are new ones??

Whats the power steering addetive?

Much like the engine oil additive, flushes the pump, keeps the seals in good order, helps cure small leaks. I cant rememebr the make of the one i used. It began with F though......

Fordge? forge? forde? something like that anyway.

Much like the engine oil additive, flushes the pump, keeps the seals in good order, helps cure small leaks. I cant rememebr the make of the one i used. It began with F though......

Oh cheers m8 i will go to my local car parts place and see if they have anything, cant do no harm

Forte?

Yeah I use the engine flush and diesel treatment.

When I changed my fuel filter I filled it with the diesel treatment before fitting it. It started straight away, the car ran off the stuff for those few seconds till the diesel got through!

Forte is the best stuff on the market!

Although its not really on the market since you canrt buy it from motorfactors etc.

Only from garage who use forte and get it delivered by the local rep, they should sell you some though.

All the garages on www.goodgaragescheme.co.uk use forte products as the good garage scheme is run by forte.

So if your wanting some, thats hoe you get it :)

Its much easier for me to get luckily ;)

can anyone get me some of the forte power steering additive? i can get it off the net for £16 but if any1 one could get it cheaper that would be great.

Do you think its worth me getting the top end treatment? its £22 but i had a servise in may 2007 so will be having another service in may. will this quieten it down?

i dont think the tapping is ment to be there, my engines on 60k, didnt service it from 30k because iam poor and lazy, and the tapping started, got worse and worse, i changed the oil filter but still there, the gearbo went so iam just sticking a new engine in.

get it looked at sooner the better

Mine is almost 60K miles and form the first moment it starts it is noisy until oil gets to the tappets (that takes about 5 to 10 secs) but then she is quite quiet and that gets better when she is properly warmed up to be honest with no out of the ordinary noises. I change my oil every 5k miles regardlass which will help reduce wear in an engine

Edited by mike_m

Yeh mine makes a scarping type of noise for awhile when i start up in the cold

dont really no what it is.

Someone did mention something about the motor winding..dont no if that helps.

That's a bearing in the starter motor. It won't affect performance, but if you want it gone the starter motor needs to be replaced as a whole as it's a sealed unit.

mine sounds like a diesel, is that right?

Absolutely perfectly normal for a lot of VAG engines with 0 miles or 200,000 miles on the clock for the first few seconds starting up as Mike says. If it goes on any longer it needs looking at.

nah i dont think that its anything serious i was just wondering what other Gti's sound like. i know mine itsnt that quiet with the bonnet open, guess i will find out at the rr day in manc. might get the power steering additive anyway.