you have £8k to buy a hot hatch

Adam K

right, my polo gti is broken.

mitch is very kindly sorting out a gearbox for me tomorrow hopefully, but this situation has given me a kick up the ass to sort out a new car.

so......

cars in mind at the moment are :-

mini cooper s

civic type r

clio 182

at the moment the civic's seem amazingly good value, but insurance is relatively high on them.

other suggestions accepted.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My preferences although not in any order. Can you tell I mainly like old cars before manufacturers started filling them with loads of weight adding extras?

1. Lupo Gti

2. Clio Williams (could get a minter for your budget)

3. Clio 172 (so you dont have the silly exhausts of the 182)

4. Golf Mk2 16v / G60 / VR6 (conversion) (could get a minter for your budget)

5. Peugeot 205 Gti Mi16 (could get a minter for your budget)

If you prefer (slightly) newer stuff.

1. Audi A3 1.8t (might be able to get an S3 even now)

2. Ibiza Cupra

3. Alfa 145 Cloverleaf (very under rated performance although very correctly slated for reliability)

4. Civic Type R (if you really must get such a horrid looking car)

5. Focus ST170

6. Astra mk4 Gsi turbo (doh I suggested a Vauxhall)

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

I've been having a look at Mini Cooper S' recently and for 8k you could probably find one, but it would be an early one and it would probably be a bit of a shitter.

Clio 182 is probably one of your better choices, or a Lupo GTI :coffee:

already owned 2 ibiza cupra 20vt's, already owned a lupo gti, so kinda ruled them off the list.

civic type r you can get one with under 50k on the clock for that cash.

cooper s you can get one with around 60k on the clock in nice condition for that money.

i don't really want another lupo gti cos i think i'd get bored of it again.

i think that if i was to go for a clio, i'd rather cut the budget and spend 4.5-5k and get a nice 172.

hmmmmmm, not sure now.

Some good options there. The Cooper S offers some cheap mods if you're inclined and your money should be safer in that that the others.

What kind of figure are you looking at for insurance? I know I can get FC on Evo 4-6s for £1000 nowadays.

my Suzuki swift sport is probably worth 8k now, good cheap fun better than your polo gti and still more than two years worth of manufacturers warranty left.

Civic Type R = *****.

306 gti 6 = good

172 cup = good, light , fun and dangerous!

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/254929.htm - > Supercharged pug 106

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/254550.htm - > Integra Type R DC2 (fun car!) - slightly out of buget tho!

Hust make sure you get something fun!

some more off the wall choices

fiat stilo abarth shumacher eddition under 20k miles and I think they sorted the suspension out with prodrive bits on these ones so they were actually quite handy

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/273908.htm

an Evo1 Integrale, plenty around the price range with some extra to tidy any minor issues.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/254254.htm

225bhp seat cupra R is just about in the price range

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/271400.htm

Said hatchback so 325Ti compact bmw, handy bit of kit with the 2.5lr straight six, lots of 330i around for the money too.

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/287141.htm

As you dont want a Lupo GTI

Id probably sway more towards a Civic type R, you can get a tidy low mileage example for 8K and you wont get bored in a hurry.

Not sure if you can get a good Cooper S for 8K but i would definately look for one. Ebay seems a good place to pick one up.

Focus ST170, your just going to get bored of that very quickly. They are good cars but boring.

Cooper S drives best out of al you've mentioned and residuals will also be better. CTR's are bullet proof mind but the 3 I've driven have disappointed me and not lived up to the hype. The Cooper S though was a brilliant drive. I owned a brand new Clio 172 and wouldn't buy another french car. It wasn't all that and the driving position was poo. For your budget you're in S3 territory which would be a good buy.

Buy a Mk2 Golf GTi and put a 1.8 20vT lump in it.

With the right engine and map it should be easily quicker than those above.

For 8k you will probably have a fair few quid left over! 2k max for a good base, 4k max for a conversion, any more and you're being ripped off IMHO!

i don't wanna drive round in an "old" car.

i'm looking for something new'ish that is quick out of the box.

could easily get a fabia vrs for that money, but i just dunno if i could drive round with that skoda badge.

LCR's are brilliant cars too. Driven a 210bhp one and it went like stink. Bit dull inside though. You could get a nice 180bhp mk4 gti , oem+ wheels, decent suspension and a remap for your money which will give you a better car than the LCR with a nicer interior and let's face it a more desirable badge

i don't wanna drive round in an "old" car.

i'm looking for something new'ish that is quick out of the box.

could easily get a fabia vrs for that money, but i just dunno if i could drive round with that skoda badge.

I drove a Fabia Vrs. Really good driving posistion and it was fairly quick to 100mph. The only thing I don't like is the 4 doors and the dash is quite plasticy but you'll get that in most modern cars.

Look past the badge, or buy a MK6 Polo GT. Same car, nicer badge.

Petrol prices are taking the piss lately and if anything else they will do so even more in the near future.

Like i said before a Jabba'd skoda VRS is so right. :)

Infact i was planning on selling my car last week and getting myself one!

If your a bit of a petrol head Adam i wouldn't bother with a fabia vrs, there's no doubt they're quick and can be fairly potent when tuned but there's no getting over the fact that that engine is dull dull dull. Get a CTR you'll get loads more enjoyment out of that i reckon as it takes a lot more work for your reward and that imo is what driving is all about.

i'm kinda swaying towards an LCR maybe.

I've had mates/bro owning the common hot hatches:

Ford Focus RS (now chipped)

Megane R26

Leon Cupra R

Honda Civic Type R

Out of all of them, a common factor is that we love the Type R.

The engine is out of this world. Yes people winge and slate VTEC rice blah blah but the engine is superb. Quite and smooth for general driving but when that VTEC kicks in at 6krpm its a great engine and very entertaining with its 6 speed box.

I find my bros Leon Cupra R a bit boring even with a Revo.

Friend at work has a Cooper S and I find it a bit girly and doesn't really excite me.

I love Clio Cup's but they aren't the best built and the quality of the car itself would annoy me on the long run.

My mates Type R again the seats are lush and comfy, interior is well built and nicely designed, cannot agree with that being a cracking hot hatch. Yes tuning is limited, but the engine is fun! :shades:

Wouldn't consider an Audi S3 mk1 (215hp) unless I wanted comfort as apparently a normal Audi 1.8T with a revo is quicker (lighter without quattro running gear)

Another cracking car is an Ibiza Cupra maybe? Find it in the 'R' phase with 180hp but are very rare!

Edited by g-man85

ok, the weight has been shifted towards a type r, mainly cos i've found one i want.

gotta wait till tomorrow as i'm getting a loan through the bank of mum and dad and they haven't confirmed when they can sort it out by!