Understeer/Oversteer?

r44my_k

Haven't really had a chance to push the Arosa to her limits but if i was to would it just under steer like most FWD cars? I know in some like a 306 you can kick the back end out, can we do that with standard suspension? I'm in a TDI so its front heavy so that mite also make a difference. I'm hoping its not just an average FWD that just keeps going straight when its on full lock! :wacko:

Hi, I can say I haven't fully pushed the Arosa. But on general it will understeer as per most FWD on a smooth turn into a corner, but i have had a few scary moments of a short turn at speed where the rear drifted out so the rear end wobbled.

But i always have a fear the Arosa might topple over because of that.

My old mk2 golf used to have lift-off oversteer which was funny. But the Arosa rear end stepping out seems a bit more nervous due to the short length of the car so i'm concerned if it does snap round, it'll do so quicker than i could capture it to correct it.

I can't say I've had and problems with understeer with mine, a bigger problem is the torque steer you get when booting it our of corners.

It depends a lot on your tyres, if you buy cheap ditch finders then thats exactly what they'll do. Also make sure your tyre pressures are correct. I have 33psi in the front and 31 in the back.

Edited by jon_273

all depends on your tyres as well , the standard dunlops understear like a barsteward , the fedrals i had just gripped and then these kumhos the back end can get a bit twitchy at times but thats about it

Id say the same as everyone else, tyres make most of the difference.

Ive had loads of different type tyres on mine now, they all change the characteristics of the handling quite a bit when pressing on.

When i first got my TDi it had marshal tyres on the front they were horendous! the understeer in the dry on roundabouts was quite shocking, but in the wet, id go as far as saying they are even worse than dunflops!. Even at 20MPH round a roundabout in the wet and it wanted to go straight on.

Conti Premiumcontacts are the best i have had, they grip no matter what the weather is doing, followed by yokohamas, they are very good too but not quite as good in the wet as the contis.

I have had the back end step out a coupe of times, but nothing bad, just a light feeling from the back to let you know your on the limit, ideally to stop this you want a tyre with a stiffer sidewall which will reduce flex, but can make the handling less predicatable.

But overall the handling is so predictable on them its hard to go wrong.

Tyre pressures make a huge difference too, i usingr 32/30 atm, that seems to be quite a good pressure to have them at, although i increase them a bit for long distance drives.

Too little pressure and the front tyres will flex loads, making the tyre lean onto its sidewall round tight bends, loosing grip and wearing the edges off the tyres.

Too much and the corners of the tyre wont be able to flex enough to the change in road, eithe rbumps or whatever, so grip will be reduced,

So you need the right pressure to have the tyres as it should be, which is why i always keep a check on my tyre pressures.

But they arnt really the best handing car in thw world, obviously, they do roll quite a bit. ALthough saying that i like the roll, it make it more fun to me and gives it a little character too :lol:

Dont really get any understeer and if there's any oversteer it's smooth and controllable, i run 32psi front and 30psi rear and a rear anti-rol bar.

on large fast roundabouts you can go as fast as the front will allow and you'll get some understeer, dab the throttle and then let off and you'll get the back end out :D

When I had my Bathursts and no cage I could get some really quite impressive lift off oversteer.

With the cage and 9s... Nothing, nomatter how daft I am. Its always neutural as (at the moment) the chassis is far better than engine :rolleyes:

you can get lift off oversteer, and you can spin in the wet if your not carefull.

but you need to be driving hard to experience either.

Agreed - you have to really corner hard for the back end to become nervous and twitch into oversteer (from the lift off)

When I had the turbos on mine and the coillies it just gripped. :lol:

Until I hit some wet sand on a roundybout...

At first I ran Nankang tyres, which were crap. I then put Marangoni tyres on the front and they were really good for the price.

The only time I can get the car to oversteer is by driving like a cock and braking when cornering hard. It naturally understeers a bit with the steelies on, to the extent that it's quite scary. Tbh, they handle crap on narrow wheels, I don't like it at all!

• 2 weeks later...

Yer they do push on and skip around a bit - not as positively balanced as the new golfs are. See this link here! its been around for a while but it shows 4 wheel drifts over and understeer over a lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD_AtC4eoD0

• 4 weeks later...

We've got some big fast round-a-bouts and slip roads around here and it's easy to get both the Arosa and Lupo to understeer.

I find them both really controllable and fun! Though the Lupo, understanably, is a bit more fun and one can get it into oversteer. Not sure I'd want the Arosa going from under to oversteer too quickly :huh: as already said it can be a bit wobbly.

KWs and anti-roll bars for the Arosa from Santa?!?!?! Is it worth it?!?!?! Hmmm...

Take care out there children!

Ray

We've got some big fast round-a-bouts and slip roads around here and it's easy to get both the Arosa and Lupo to understeer.

I find them both really controllable and fun! Though the Lupo, understanably, is a bit more fun and one can get it into oversteer. Not sure I'd want the Arosa going from under to oversteer too quickly :huh: as already said it can be a bit wobbly.

KWs and anti-roll bars for the Arosa from Santa?!?!?! Is it worth it?!?!?! Hmmm...

Take care out there children!

Ray

seing as you have a gti and an arosa, would you say the ARB is worth it? i wanting to drop the arosa on colilies and i was wondering if thats enuff to stop the body roll or if a gti ARB would be worth the extra money?

seing as you have a gti and an arosa, would you say the ARB is worth it? i wanting to drop the arosa on colilies and i was wondering if thats enuff to stop the body roll or if a gti ARB would be worth the extra money?

Sorry about delay, I got lost! old_man.jpg

The GTi has KW v1s as well, but I'd definately say yes, the ARB is worth it.

The Arosa is on standard shocks with -45mm springs and still feels quite wallowy around the bends.

With a 1.0 I feel it's more about cosmetics, but if I could warrant paying for a set of coilies and ARBs I would do it.

The other main difference is that the steering is very light on the 1.0 and not positive at all, it almost steers by thought. With the GTi, even with the power steering, you still feel like you are driving and need to work abit to make the car go where you want it too.

Ray

I didn't for a long time, since found out how easy it is to do it, and I can't help going sideways at every opportunity. Go round a largeish roundabout at fair speed and take your foot off the accelerator.

:swerve:

stiffer ARB's and coilsovers are worth it and go a long way to stop it rolling. I had a cheep set of g-max dampers on the rossa in april 06 at a track day or were they spax adjustables? cant remember but they were worse than pig****. I wore a hole in the front bumper from grounding out in complex 2 and turns 1 & 5. Bought some GAZ coilovers for the front (much cheaper than K&W and 8 tenths quicker round croft) and it barely rolls now. Marry them off with a good set of braces 4pt under front - front top brace and the rear welded to the roll cage - awsome cars after that!

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't exactly say that you can get lift off oversteer. It tucks in a bit but that's about it. I've tried to get the back out properly on a wet roundabout but had to resort to yanking the handbrake. Perhaps I'm just more comfortable with oversteer than most coming from a karting background but I'd say in general the cars are set up for initial turn in understeer that rolls into neutral with a little bit of a rear end tuck in if you lift off. Up to a point the nose will actually tuck in a bit more with some power on the exit but eventually once the inside front wheel looses grip it'll wash out. When I took it round Silverstone I found it fairly well behaved but it just wanted wash out mid apex too much. A problem mainly caused by the paint on the kerbs. With all the body roll it's a bit slow to respond to turn in.

From a setup point of view, personally I'd probably stiffen the whole lot up a bit more and in particular the rear end. An ARB on the front should sharpen up turn in, but personally I'd probably really up things at the back to levels similar with the Lupo Cup cars. I'd want a tad of turn in oversteer to help set the thing up through the corner for a good exit since you're always going to get power understeer on the exit. If you can counter that with a decent drift through the apex to the point where you'd spin if you lifted off you can basically overcome most of the problems with a FWD car. If you watch some onboard vidoes on YouTube of the Clio Cup cars in action, you can see the way the back end is leading the way the whole time.

Ive had the back of the car twitch a few times when pressing on through bends, but its fairly difficult to get.

I had huge oversteer the other day on a wet roundabout though, doing about 20 round it and the back of the car just started to slide out, so i had to put on a lot of opposite lock to get the car back. Was quite shocked at the time since i was only going slowly and didnt expect it. Although that was mainly down to a really crap rear tyre, which i had put on two weeks ago, soon to be replaced for a full new set after that incident though ....

Just shows how imprtant a good set of good tyres is!

Tyres and tyre pressure makes all the difference in these cars though, especially in standard form, crap tyres mean lots of understeer and lots of wheel spin when accelerating though the gears.

Do you mean a uprated front ARB? as they do have a front one. Id quite fancy a rear ARB i think.

Although the roll doesnt bother me much anyway, just would be a nice little addition and make it a bit more stable.

Edited by cardaft