Skitish rear end?

heartagram

I really love the way my Lupo handles. Its all stock bar the coilies but still sticks to the road like glue and hardly rolls. But I find that when you really push it hard into a corner if the road is slightly uneven the back ends starts to really wave about. Is there anything you can do to alter this? Like make the back end heavier or the front end lighter? I need a new bonnet and I'm thinking of going for a GTI one as its ally so that should save a bit of weight. but is there anything else I can do the stop it being so tail happy!

Short wheel base cars always tend to be abit twitchy especially when its running harder suspension.

When ur going into hard corners are you backing off the throttle aswell by any chance?? because this will unsettle the car.

Making the back heaver will make this worse.

I agree I have the same problem with the lupo, first thing that helped for me was tire pressures higher in the front than in the back, as suggested! secondly just learn to enjoy the wavey back end, its quite controllable! the only time in scares me is in emergency braking, but just try to brake in a straight line!

I had that happen on the gti, when if first happened and I wasnt playing at the time I nearly crap.

It happend quite a bit but it is true you can live with it.

I have drove a lot of other cars and to be fair the lupo isnt too bad, hence im onto my 3rd.

I havent had chance to play with the tdi yet as it has no wheels at the moment and it is standard.

mines the same, but its no where near as bad as what my lowered mk2 clio was like! that used to skip out when you pushed it hard, but it wasnt just skittish it used to whip its ass out! got to learn to control it and i loved it in the end used to be like a mini drift!

got used to the lupos skittish rear pretty easy compared!

i was gunna start a topic up about this!! it seems to have loads of front end grip and then the back end jus feels like its gunan let go great fun but bloody scary!!!

Or (as everyone else is doing it), this:

lampost-small.jpg border="0" class="linked-image" /> border="0" class="linked-image" />

I've been given a skid pan course though, and will learn to control it if it does it again!

To be honest I've never tried to get lift of over steer on a public road. Cocked the inside back wheel few times but thats about it.

I think techniques like this which take time to perfect and can only be done when pushing on abit, should be left to the track.

I must be getting old laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

hmm slippy wet roundabout can get the lupo sliding at even low speeds to be honest! you have to be very careful!

edited to say even with good tyres!

GTI's may be a little better due to better weight distribution/suspension/thicker front ARB

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

don't know what ure comlaining about when i had to replace tyre once but was a bit skint i went from ditch finders some chav before me had put on to eagle f1's on the fron i've never had so much fun with oversteer in my life after 2 weeks when i got paid though i decided it wasn't healthy and it added alot of time onto my journey (due to lack of 100+mph cornering ability) so upgraded the back to suit now i wish i had another set of wheels with ditchers on just for when it's raining but if it really pisses u off just put decent tyres on i have eagle f1's on back and toyo's on front so now it runs wide at the front before the back it's gay but can't be bothered to swap them round i like to be able to boot it down the lanes without having to worry about oversteer

I think ive only ever experienced the back end going a couple of times, never in a big way, just lets me know im pushing it a bit wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

TBH i would rather not get the back end out, its harldy controlable, which is why tyre places tell you to put new tyres on the rear to stop it, as understeer is very controlable.

don't know what ure comlaining about when i had to replace tyre once but was a bit skint i went from ditch finders some chav before me had put on to eagle f1's on the fron i've never had so much fun with oversteer in my life after 2 weeks when i got paid though i decided it wasn't healthy and it added alot of time onto my journey (due to lack of 100+mph cornering ability) so upgraded the back to suit now i wish i had another set of wheels with ditchers on just for when it's raining but if it really pisses u off just put decent tyres on i have eagle f1's on back and toyo's on front so now it runs wide at the front before the back it's gay but can't be bothered to swap them round i like to be able to boot it down the lanes without having to worry about oversteer

100MPH cornering!

I can see why you might want some 'ditch finders' for when it rains, but personally i would rather have good tyres all of the time. I dont often slow down that much in the rain so i like to feel confident that i can still corner laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> .

My car had crap tyres on when i bought it, in the wet it just used to go straight on at roundabouts and sharp corners. So i had to drive really slowly

I got the back end to flick out a bit this afternoon. First time it's done it. I was quite pleased with myself. smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Nah I never lift off in a corner, your just asking for trouble then laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Its not uncontrolable when it does go its just that it doesn't really give you any warning. My Polo was really bad for oversteering, Luke was amazed how it used to just slide about roundabouts for fun! Was totally incontrol of it aswell. So used to following my tail laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

As for cocking up a rear wheel, the Lupo does it all the time. I thought it would though because of the size and the hard suspension. Doesn't really bother me tbh. Thing thats really impressive is the fact that it sticks to the road at 100mph+ cornering. The car has more grip than I have bottle to try stuff, lol.