Charity...

nfbr

Every year hundreds of thousands of people do many wierd and wonderful things for charity, weather its run a marathon, shave their heads, of have a bath of baked beans.

Roughly speaking, around half of these people do it specifically because its a certain charity that they want to help, and the rest of them just do it for the feeling it gives you to know you've helped somebody somewhere.

If you were to do something for charity, and had to chose a charity to do the fund raising for, which charity would you chose, and why?

Would it be something thats close to home? Or something to do with a thing you'd hope never happens to you? or just people from a certain group that you feel sorry for.

Also if you had free choice of how to raise this money, what way would you chose to do it? and again, why?

Would you chose something that your good at, as to make it easier to reach the goal, would you chose to do something you find dificult, or find yourself affraid of, so that its more of a challenge? Or would you do something completely wacky, for the entertainment factor.

Stupid/Offensive replies will be reported to a moderator to be deleted.

Thanks for your input guys smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

something do with cancer, probably

3 grandparents have died from it in the past 10 years, so it's quite close to home.

that sort of thing yes, other things, not so... but that's not for discussion here smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

**further comment removed at nfbr's request smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />**

Edited by Babs

Hmmm....

I don't know what I would do, but I think I would do something that would help the kids my mum works with in her job smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

She uses Halliwick to teach disabled kids to swim - anything from Spina Biffida (sp?) to MS to paralasis, its really nice to watch them when they get their badges or learn to do stuff we all do without thinking like get in the pool by themselves smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

(I have a pot in my mums house where I get visitors to chuck their spare coppers - count it up when its full and send the money to a charity)

Edited by lunalupi

It would have to be something to do with cancer as both friends and family have suffered from it.

As to how I would do it I don't know, but as long as you help out and do your bit then thats what matters. Difficulty wise I feel that people are more likely to cough up their help and support to something that is a lot more of a risk which is a shame. Others may disagree but thats just what I think.

I would probably do something wacky in order to raise money for charity because people think this is a fun way of doing it, and would give a sense of acheivement, even if I had my hair cut off or had a bath of beans in front of loads of people wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" />

Hmm, I'm not sure what I'd do to help a charity, I think I'd perfer to do some volunteer work for them, rather than do something wacky to raise money. I'd rather help them with my time, if that makes sense. I would probably do something to do with my local hospice, as they looked after my uncle well when he was ill.

I've been collecting for the Tuberous Sclerosis Association for a few years now as a friends children suffer from the condition.

so far I've done the manchester to blackpool bike ride a few times and the saddleworth 'beer walk' a couple of times. nfbr will know what I mean. amongst other things.

I'd do things like bungee jumps, parachutes etc, but every little helps!

Edited by Arosa_03

I make a regular donation to Friends of the Earth via Direct Debit. It's a moderate amount and salves my concsience(sp?)

It saves the need to donate to anything else. Felt very uncomfortable about being forced to donated (twice nonetheless) to Children in Need (because it's for the kids, right, so how could you object? Who cares if its goals are not part of your value system) by various peeps in the office. Not happy about that aspect of "giving" these days...

Deek.

im gonna get some waxing done for charity in the near future- several people i know have offered to do the waxing.

i would do it as the more money i raise the more i wax

ie. ÂŁ30 chest

ÂŁ60 chest and crack

ÂŁ90 chest, crack sack and back

im not 100% sure which charity id do it for but one in my mind is below.

damn, i cant remember the name of the charity, but my PE teacher died of leukemia and a charity was set up in his name ____ gregg.

i know several people whose lives have been affected by leukemia and i would like to think iv done something to help

I'd do something for ME (or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome).. A little known illness that made me think i was dying a few years ago but still makes me approach a lot of things differently...

my sister suffers from this not many people no about it i would definetly do something for this

I've done stuff for various charities in the past - fun runs, sponsored walks, helped run fetes, done the accounts for various charitible organisations etc.

Charities I usually go for are ones with significance to me - various cancer charities (I lost a friend to Leukemia when we were 14 and have 2 Aunts who have had breast cancer), ARISE (I have personally benefitted from this charity), etc.

id probably either do a gig or some sort of extreme sport event to raise awaness and research in either dyslexia or diabities. it would probably be dyslexia as not many people are aware how it affects people who have it and how they struggle in life doing things some people take for granted. and not only that fact some people dont know it exists or that it is a disability.

Q: How is dyslexia related to the cerebellum?

A: The cerebellum is a highly complex area of the nervous system and is sometimes referred to as the “hindbrain.” It contains 50 percent of the brain’s nerve cells despite being 10 percent of the total size of the thinking brain. With its numerous connections to the cerebral cortex, the cerebellum appears to be strongly associated with integrating sensory data, including visual and auditory information and links to the language areas of the brain. Poor development or early damage to the cerebellum is shown to impair development of language and decoding skills necessary for the acquisition of reading and writing, but does not affect intelligence. Because dyslexia usually exists within the context of a normal or above normal IQ, the difference between skill level and intelligence helps identify the disorder.

the money would probably go to reduce the cost of the dore programme to help children to deal with dyselxia

www.dore.co.uk

Edited by dash

But isnt that just smoking weed and getting tired ?

Nooo! Although i'm sure the above wouldn't help...

"M.E. (Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/ Encephalopathy) is a chronic, fluctuating illness. It is also known as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS). Sometimes it is diagnosed as Post Viral Fatigue Syndrome (PVFS). The illness affects many parts of the body such as the nervous and immune systems. The most common symptoms are severe fatigue or exhaustion, problems with memory and concentration and muscle pain."

Stupid/Offensive replies will be reported to a moderator to be deleted.

This is a bit strong coming from you isn't it? I've not completely read the thread, I gave up where you didn't mean to cause offence to those with ME (the odd bit of green helps those with MS), but I think you have correctly summed up charity donations and stunts. You're helping because of personal experience or just do it to feel better yourself.

This is a bit strong coming from you isn't it?

No muslims were offended in my posts. I was merely pointing out that at the particular time of the photos being taken, the muslims would have been at the mosque, praying peacefully... After all, Islam means Peace.

I have taken part in 'Race for Life' for the past 6 years to raise money for Cancer Research. My mom has had breast cancer (twice) so its a charity thats quite close to my heart - me and mom usually run (umm well, walk blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" /> ) it together - its good fun and its nice to give something back.

Sarah