287miles to a tank

Mitchell

I got just over 260 from full to nil in my 1.4 16v unleaded.....

...i though that was good!! - lol,

I always use optimax and get 260mpg from my 1.4 16v sport in normal driving!

if I didnt enjoy driving and was determined im sure I could probably get 350 miles to a tank

or maybe I drive really slowly compared to all you guys!

Edited by Petes 16V Sport

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got just over 260 from full to nil in my 1.4 16v unleaded.....

...i though that was good!! - lol,

i thought 280 from click to "run to petrol station with jerry can" was good, iv really been put to shame lol

are you using optimax?? or do u just have a heavy right foot..... tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

Both smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> whats the point in having a Gti if you don't play around a bit. Its more to do with my daily commute of 1 mile to work. I may as well just stick a screwdriver in the fuel tank. It would probably p1ss out slower

im doing 45 miles a day and im getting some days where the engine behaves like a v8 and others where the needle just dosnt move in 45 miles of driving.

but 400 to a tank , ill have to downgrade from sunday driver to ' the church lot' to get that

Edited by engineater

In the SDI i can get 420 ish, but if i tried i think i could get a little more, but it just gets boring after half a tank, even though its not even quick in the first place.

In the SDI i can get 420 ish, but if i tried i think i could get a little more, but it just gets boring after half a tank, even though its not even quick in the first place.

You could get loads more than that! tongue.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":P" border="0" alt="tongue.gif" />

26 litres of fuel and i got 210 miles so im getting the same fuel ecconomy if not less than you Gti guys sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

And heres the odd thing filled car up till no more could go in pulling the nozzle out etc and letting it drain in for a few seconds etc got in just over 26 litres this time 97/98p per litre went and paid for it and got back in switches it on and fuel guage sits between three quarters and full doh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":doh:" border="0" alt="doh.gif" /> is doing my head in angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

wayne

Edited by The subtle modder

26 litres of fuel and i got 210 miles so im getting the same fuel ecconomy if not less than you Gti guys sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

And heres the odd thing filled car up till no more could go in pulling the nozzle out etc and letting it drain in for a few seconds etc got in just over 26 litres this time 97/98p per litre went and paid for it and got back in switches it on and fuel guage sits between three quarters and full doh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":doh:" border="0" alt="doh.gif" /> is doing my head in angry.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry2:" border="0" alt="angry.gif" />

wayne

could it be a faulty fuel gauge then maybe, rather than anything to do with your engine, making you think you have less fuel than you actually have? so you think your getting lower economy, when actually your not?

Its a good question and one ive thought of before but the thing is i dont dare to go level with the red line or below in this car as i dont want to trash the fule pump etc by sucking crap from the tank ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

And is there any other way of checking it as you gti and sport guys are getting way more than me and i hardly ever take it above 3000 always in high gears but never make it struggle and it does worse on the motorway

wayne

I very much doubt that there's *any* rubbish sitting in the bottom of a 53 plate Arosa's fuel tank.

Beside that you have a fuel filter for any minor bits.

Taking it down low isn't likely to damage anything at all, this may have been the case in older cars, not yours. The worst that will happen is for you to look like a tit when you run out.

I suspect the problem (if there is one) is something to do with the sender. I think it's more likely that something's making it stick at the upper level and perhaps not letting it go all the way up. Would be worth trying the running low/running out trick as the fuel guage may not be calibrated correctly. If that's the case then get it back to the dealer - it's still under warranty isn't it?

I drove to devon and back at the weekend and covered 256miles before the light came on. Heard all these horror stories about limited mileage - thought it was quite good smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" />

Has gone down a bit now im town driving again though blush.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blush:" border="0" alt="blush.gif" />

i have a TDI and get about 380-400 to a tank mainly dual carriageways driving at 50-60mph consistently (keep that needle on 2k rpm in top!)

what is annoying is i filled up the other day and drove about 50 miles with the fuel gauge hardly moving, thought i was onto a 500 mile tank, but then it dropped like a lead baloon and it's now just over 3/4 with 102 miles driven blink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":blink:" border="0" alt="blink.gif" />

are the fuel gauges accurate on these things or is the tank shaped like a bottleneck?!

so much for the 78mpg extra urban! a load of codswallop, i'm getting about 50mpg :|

by my calculations, the tank is 34 litres which = 7.47 gal - at even 60mpg it should be returning 450 miles, at 78 it should be something like 600 miles!

Edited by mpaton2005

I very much doubt that there's *any* rubbish sitting in the bottom of a 53 plate Arosa's fuel tank.

Beside that you have a fuel filter for any minor bits.

Taking it down low isn't likely to damage anything at all, this may have been the case in older cars, not yours. The worst that will happen is for you to look like a tit when you run out.

I suspect the problem (if there is one) is something to do with the sender. I think it's more likely that something's making it stick at the upper level and perhaps not letting it go all the way up. Would be worth trying the running low/running out trick as the fuel guage may not be calibrated correctly. If that's the case then get it back to the dealer - it's still under warranty isn't it?

i dont know somebody filled the car up at tesco and they have some crap in their fuel laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> stick to BP, esso and shell myslef but its a novelty having such a new car for me biggrin.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":D" border="0" alt="biggrin.gif" /> dont want to ruin anything on it in anyway like cloggin an injector etc (a problem my brother had on his corsa when running it low) and looking like a tit doesnt really bother me but missing third the other night at 40 didnt get too many good looks rolleyes.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Ive filled the car up twice/three times before and its always gone to the top its just this time it hasnt oddly huh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" /> and the guage is on three quarters now and has done 55 miles ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> so not looking too good and i dint run it to the line either, its still under waranty till spetember but unless i know exactly whats wrong with it and what needs replacing/how to do it they rarely fix it properly or damage something in the process as they believe in speed over quality sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

gonna see what it does on this tank and if its not much then totally run it dry and fill it to the brim and see what i get smile.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":)" border="0" alt="smile.gif" /> also as daft as it sounds could any come out of the overflow on hard cornering?

wayne

I've had over 300 on a motorway run to Sheffield and back from Torquay.

Interestingly I filled up with BP Ultimate whilst in Sheffield and found it gave less mpg than Sainsburys Super. Don't know if it was a duff tankfull?

• 1 month later...
I've had over 300 on a motorway run to Sheffield and back from Torquay.

Interestingly I filled up with BP Ultimate whilst in Sheffield and found it gave less mpg than Sainsburys Super. Don't know if it was a duff tankfull?

I HAVE HAD 380 MILES PER TANK DRIVING 65MPH ON A MOTORWAY. THATS IS NEARLY 60MPG.

WOOOOOHOOOOO

I managed 27mpg on my last tank ohmy.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" />

This one I've just scraped over the 220 mile marker and my light is on......

Someone tell my car he needs to go to a Fuel Drinkers Anonymous meeting!

Edited by lunalupi

I just had a look in the 2005 lupo brochure and it says it does 50.6 mpg on a gti... i would love to know how they managed that figure....

I never got more than 43mpg in my Gti when it was standard. However I have had 48mpg with the throttle bodies on. laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Maybe they are selling throttle bodied Gti's to clear the last few. hahahahaha

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

vw claims 38.2 mpg for a combined cycle, thats 286 miles to 34 liters. 26.9 mpg for urban = 201 miles

i havnt bought my loop yet but i will be disgusted if i cant get at least 34 mpg without changing my driving style (remember the gti is not very powerful and is quite light) my current vw is suposed to average 29 for a combined cycle and ive never done worse, i usually get 33 -34 mpg and im not a sunday driver.

or do most of you still wear short pants, live in towns and only do short journeys with the air-con on.

remember the gti is not very powerful

With the exception of the Honda 1.6 16v VTEC I cannot think of another standard production car engine 1.6 that has more power than the Lupo Gti engine? This kind of implies that the Lupo Gti engine is in a reasonably high state of tune for its cc and therefore cannot be expected to be highly economical.

*Though I do personally actually think it is very good on fuel*

Happy to be corrected here.