CJ1's GTI Project

cj1

Hi, 

I've recently acquired a Lupo GTI and in contrast to the rally car, this should provide a nice little project to restore a car that's in need of some good old TLC.

• 2004 6 Speed, Black
  • 112k miles
  • Sunroof

So every panel is scratched and there are two large scuffs on the OSR and NSF. Interior is very clean, but the outside not so. I've made some minor cosmetic changes already, and discovering a few little issues with the car along the way. I shall use this first post as an active list to update with issues and modifications. I would like to keep the car as standard as possible along the way, but keeping an open mind. 

Modifications

• LED rear number plate lights
  • LED Sidelights - match the factory Xenon's
  • Red GTI Grille Piping

Issues

• Car does not hold temperature or warm up, sits around 70 degrees - Now fixed with a new thermostat
  • Steering doesnt feel right and occasional clunk feeling. Looks like split suspension arm bushes. 
  • Wipers split
  • Engine cover split
  • Heater controls are very, very hard to change from Window/Feet side to body side. 
  • Heater blower seems to make a squealing noise on speeds 1&2.
  • Heavy kerbing to all four wheels
  • Clutch Judder when moving at low speed, and a grinding noise in neutral. Suspect clutch release bearing.

Ultimately the plan is to use this in place of the Arteon which I'm getting rid of in March. So got plenty of time to sort these issues out. I'll keep here updated, and pictures to follow :)

Work Completed

New Clutch & release bearing

new suspension arms

New ARB drop links

New Ball Joints

N/S Outer CV Boot replaced 

New track rod ends

4 wheel alignment 

New thermostat

Replacement 6 speed gearbox

cambelt & water pump changed

Edited by cj1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sarahs Lupo said:

I have a few issues too that sound the same. 

Be good to see you fix them :)

welcome to the new GTi! 

Do you have a build thread? 

Thanks! Have quite the collection of spare parts all sitting around from the rally car, so fortunately a lot of what I need I already have at home... Just finding the time to do it! :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cj1 said:

Do you have a build thread? 

Thanks! Have quite the collection of spare parts all sitting around from the rally car, so fortunately a lot of what I need I already have at home... Just finding the time to do it! :)

No build thread for me. 

I might see if I can start one. 

I'm on the same wave length as you. Mild restoration and small mods to make the car nicer to live with day to day 

Ok so here is a photo of the car and the headlight mod.

I decided to just get cracking on with the suspension work as I saw no real reason to wait. The plan was to change suspension arms for now, and then when the ball joints and drop links arrive, do them separately. Anyway, the corrosion on the drop links had different ideas and the washer crumbled away. So it’s currently up on stands till I get it sorted.

That being said, look at the state of the rear wishbone bush, I worry if this car had an MOT back in June with no advisories. 

ive discovered quite the rust tonight. The hubs, arms, drop links, tie rod ends are all flaking. So I’ll continue as planned, and change these this week. Next up will be acquiring a second set of hubs to clean up and paint, then they can be changed over in a few hours, rather than having to have the car off the road for even longer. (Albeit not much longer but rather not have to rush). And I’ll also ultimately be doing the same with the subframe that isn’t too bad but if I’m doing everything else, then why not I guess! 

Brake discs and pads aren’t TOO bad, but I’ll probably change them in the new year anyway. The callipers have been painted quite badly in silver, so they’re another on the list of things to clean and paint... 

Ultimately a lot of smaller jobs but nothing too bad yet! 

3E79C0D0-87AC-4E7E-BBDC-EAB1E8E9C59B.jpeg

FCF561BF-EB6B-45AF-AAC7-8E3CD530B92B.jpeg

B184F208-5D19-45EC-B654-19ADFEC63F50.jpeg

Edited by cj1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mk2 said:

May i ask what you paid for the slightly scruffy gti?

I’d rather not say, it was originally posted on Facebook for £750 before the lady was accused of being a fraudster etc. Anyway fast forward a few offers off other people, the price did increase, not dramatically.  Seemed to cause quite the stir on the Facebook group.

But it was a decent price, well worth the money. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 7:38 AM, mk2 said:

Bargain if at a grand! I really need to do FB...Damn! I pay more than that for a dented SDI with a mint interior. Interiors are the hardest part to restore.

Yes it was definitely a bargain! Plus having so many brand new spares already made it a no brainer. 

Tonight I was pleasantly surprised. Looks like the wheel bearings have been done at some point recently as the driveshaft outer end popped out no problem, to reveal a nice shiny bearing! 

car currently on stands now with new wishbones and ARB drop links but all still apart as Awaiting ball joints and I decided it’s easier to wait than put it all back together now. 

Edited by cj1

When doing a restoration, I get the material for the driver's seat from germany or holland... It's the hardly sat-in passenger seat over there. If someone is breaking a lupo, it's a relatively quick job to peel off the cloth, away from the seat without harming it at all. Then cheap and easy to post (about 2.5 kg). You gain about 15 years of seat life that way :)

The rubbery paint coated dash plastic parts are another story though.

Tonight update - Impatience got the better of me and I've had both hubs off the car. Cleaned them up and got rid of the majority of the rust.

Still waiting for the new ball joints to arrive before I can do much else. New suspension arms and ARB Drop links on both sides... 

Also got a new set of (used) hubs. Plan is to sand blast them, paint them up, then put completely fresh ones on the car. In no rush to do this as the current ones are functional! More to satisfy my desire to have this car rust free haha! 

I'll update with pictures once the ball joints arrive. :) 

Just waiting for the ball joints. New ARB Drop links, bottom arms are on waiting. Hopefully tomorrow! 

These bushes aren’t even seated in the arms; they were completely loose. Worrying they weren’t listed as an advisory as they’re just completely dangerous. 

0E78F8CA-860A-49B2-9C2C-2C0F4B8B9369.jpeg

Edited by cj1

MOT rules are- so long as there's no "excessive movement" or "metal to metal" contact, it will pass. But yeah, I've pulled out control arm bushes where the centres just drop out, but still pass. Unbelieveable.

Apart from the bushes, those arms look like they're in great condition.

I always cut mine out with a jigsaw... One cut in the ali outer rim and they just drop out. Quick. Then to the local gearbox place armed with either a tub of roses chockies or a 6 pack of ale (depending on time of year) and they let me use their press.... :)

• 2 weeks later...

New suspension arms, ball joints, track rod ends, and drop links installed. Just had the geometry set up too. drives much better now the wheels are pointing in the same direction! 
CD885BE9-E3C4-42C3-BF82-AC5CD3FEC4EB.jpeg.e531b2866402a7627caa1b22f8da6477.jpeg

Clutch changed and yes, the noise and Judder seems to be due to the release bearing being pretty much none existent. It had seen better days! figured whilst the box was off to do the bearing it made sense to do the clutch (which was very worn anyway) .

So the car is finally mechanically sound for now. At least the critical parts. Few issues still with interior functions...

• 3 weeks later...

Where are you? I've had 2 done so far by a very experienced guy I know... Takes about 2h of work max. £50. Split the case/pull the guts/remove bearing cases/power wash/press new bearings in/rebuild... done. Just make sure you get decent brand bearings like SKF, Timken etc. Ebay was the cheapest for a complete kit.