one of my mk2 golfs stolen 4am today- reward!

mk2

My red 1990 classic mk2 golf was stolen from our drive at 04:12 this morning.

One of 43 four door models left in the UK.

Only red model with four doors for a hundred miles.

Faded red paint about to be resprayed.

H118XJD

Decent reward to anyone who helps me recover it in one piece.

I'm very sad. :(

I bought this classic as a hobby car to restore and have a barn full of parts ready to fit. Please pass on to to everyone you know, and everyone they know...

Camera footage indicates that it's in the reading area.

Thanks to anyone who keeps their eyes open. You're looking for an old faded red H reg hatchback in good nick, with four doors, steel wheels and a tow bar.

Sadly the parts are now worth much more than the car, so time is of the essence.

Thanks to anyone who reads this, and for keeping your eyes peeled!

PM me or post here if you or anyone you know spots a car of that description.

Thanks people in my time of need... :)

Sorry to hear about this :(

You've probably already thought of this, but I'd start posting on enthusiast groups on social media and asking folks to share... Hopefully that will generate some leads and if nothing else it'll make the car/parts more difficult to move on.

Car found this morning by dog walker in field 5h after being nicked. sadly insurance have already declined to pay up as car is not on a public highway... what?!?! Accidents, and fire are only covered when car is involved in incident on public highway. Not a field. "But it was stolen then they torched it!?!" Nope. read the small print. And I have to pay £200+ for recovery and ecological damage(?) to farmers land too!!!

Completely choked up as I've already spent over 400h restoring it. I wouldn't have minded if they'd have stripped it for parts or cloned it, because at least in my mind the car would have lived on as a donor.... Absolutely nothing on it that is salvagable. Zero.

Devastated.

I'll dig out the CCTV footage and post some stills when I get a minute. The police noticed that they were wearing nightvision glasses.

before.jpg

mk2.gif

You need to escalate this if they have said they wont pay out because it is in a field. That is the most ridiculous thing i've heard in a long while.

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/making-a-complaint-about-an-insurance-company

I think we ought to know who this insurance company so we can avoid them.

Edited by Sausage

I'm genuinely gutted about this. Heartbroken.. The MK2 Golf is a classic and as a boy was my favourite car growing up, even more so than the MK1. My football coach owned one (a white 5 door GTI can you believe?) and I took many a lift in it. Whereas my friends thought it was a banger (their ignorance), I thought it was a fantastic car. Beautiful. He was also keen on keeping it looking very tidy and the bodywork was terrific. 43 becomes 42, and the likelihood of me owning one (as I wanted) becomes very remote. No wonder I don't even try get an original now and have my eyes entirely focussed on CitiGolf's.

The people involved in this theft deserve some serious punishment. Have the police got any idea at all? Or are they too busy sat on their fat arses content with nicking people doing 36 in a 30 zone? I would be asking around locally, seeing if you can find some details about who might have been involved. Someone will know something, I would imagine these things don't go without chatter around. Especially as the two morons involved were probably telling their mates while they were at it.

As an observation, the car looks like it is reasonably far away from the road. Is it quite a remote area? If so, I would also (and I hastily say this) try and find out if their are any individuals in the area with history. There was a spate of luxury guitars stolen near me (people basically distracting shop keepers while another person lifted it) and it turned out to be local travellers on a site less than a mile away. Not saying it will be that easy, but it was hard work and 'investigation' (something the police don't seem keen on anymore) that caught those involved out. Who could have known the car was there? 

17 hours ago, mk2 said:

Car found this morning by dog walker in field 5h after being nicked. sadly insurance have already declined to pay up as car is not on a public highway... what?!?! Accidents, and fire are only covered when car is involved in incident on public highway. Not a field. "But it was stolen then they torched it!?!" Nope. read the small print. And I have to pay £200+ for recovery and ecological damage(?) to farmers land too!!!

I would absolutely fight this to the death. I don't know why but this sounds like something that dog company named after an old prime minister would do (better not libel them). The vehicle was stolen, and if you're covered then with anything more than third party, you are covered. There is no way that they can get out of paying the full amount. I would be writing to the financial ombudsmen, I would be contacting your local MP, and I would be contacting local papers and naming/shaming. Maybe people wouldn't be so keen to insure if they knew their vehicle could be stolen and torched and they have no legal protection. I would be.

Fight this please. It's the only way these thoroughly unpleasant companies will be held accountable.

Just to state the blindingly obvious, they (or one of them) have very likely been to your door offering something or another for sale or a service like landscaping, tree work etc. They or a close friend or relative of theirs will have done this and scoped it out prior. If your cctv goes back a week or so it will be worth scanning thru it. 

I really doubt they stole it for joy rides and to torch but it's possible, more likely used in a burglary etc then torched would be my guess.

Edited by Sausage

2 hours ago, Sausage said:

Just to state the blindingly obvious, they (or one of them) have very likely been to your door offering something or another for sale or a service like landscaping, tree work etc. They or a close friend or relative of theirs will have done this and scoped it out prior. If your cctv goes back a week or so it will be worth scanning thru it. 

I really doubt they stole it for joy rides and to torch but it's possible, more likely used in a burglary etc then torched would be my guess.

My feelings exactly. I'm no expert when it comes to these things, but you can just see the road in the background on that CCTV footage and to me, it looks as though you'd really struggle to know that car was even there without some prior knowledge. I can't imagine driving past and saying "oh look there's a VW Golf MK2", it just looks too hidden, at least from the footage.

As said by Sausage, have a look through any old footage from the past week or so. Have a think of anyone who's been round (ask the wife, kids etc). It's a very rare car and in a time when cars are almost universally protected by immobilizers, only with prior knowledge would you go and steal this one. To be fair, it's a message for those who own these old beauties to get bespoke immobilizer...... and by bespoke i mean a switch hidden away that only YOU know about and will ultimately kill the car dead. I just wonder if they'd have kept trying if they realized it wasn't starting after the first 2 or 3 goes.

Please fight this, please fight the insurance and try and find who these utter scumbags are.

This really sucks, I've had a 2 cars car stolen and its not fun to deal with the aftermath, also there not wearing night vision, that your infra red lighting reflecting back from there eyes and being picked up by your camera

Edited by Mobieus_uk

Yeah, talk about the aftermath... Kick you when you're down comes to mind. It's not just the car that's gone, but all the paperwork, police stuff and disposal. And then there's the stuff that was inside the car. Its like, think right now what you have in your car... There are bits that are in the cubby holes, on the seats and stuff in the back. My driving licence was in there (yeah- stupid I know), driving and sun glasses, phone charger, bluetooth hifi adapter, some CDs, business receipts, work boots and probably other stuff I can't remember. All that stuff which makes up everyday life, and generally must be replaced as it's all needed. When I went through the wreck what amazed me is that they didn't nick the Kenwood HiFi in there which was worth a few quid on its own, with dab, mp3, satnav and built in gsm.... I've kept a glob of melted Ali which was under the engine which I've turned into a highly polished keyring as a memory to my machine.

I'm going to give my mk2 restoring projects a rest till next year, and get that spare lupo I bought recently going, which is presently off road. I'll keep battling with the insurance but I don't have much time to keep on at them. I'd rather work more and earn it back which is easier!

I have to say that you are all brilliant. Thanks for your thoughts and comments which have made me feel way better. Thumbs up! :)

1 hour ago, mk2 said:

Yeah, talk about the aftermath... Kick you when you're down comes to mind. It's not just the car that's gone, but all the paperwork, police stuff and disposal. And then there's the stuff that was inside the car. Its like, think right now what you have in your car... There are bits that are in the cubby holes, on the seats and stuff in the back. My driving licence was in there (yeah- stupid I know), driving and sun glasses, phone charger, bluetooth hifi adapter, some CDs, business receipts, work boots and probably other stuff I can't remember. All that stuff which makes up everyday life, and generally must be replaced as it's all needed. When I went through the wreck what amazed me is that they didn't nick the Kenwood HiFi in there which was worth a few quid on its own, with dab, mp3, satnav and built in gsm.... I've kept a glob of melted Ali which was under the engine which I've turned into a highly polished keyring as a memory to my machine.

I'm going to give my mk2 restoring projects a rest till next year, and get that spare lupo I bought recently going, which is presently off road. I'll keep battling with the insurance but I don't have much time to keep on at them. I'd rather work more and earn it back which is easier!

I have to say that you are all brilliant. Thanks for your thoughts and comments which have made me feel way better. Thumbs up! :)

That's what they want though. They want to grind you down, waste your time. Endless paperwork, endless phone calls (probably to premium rate numbers, try and find a free one), putting you on hold for 50 minutes at a time (As I had the other day). Ultimately, I may be generalizing here, but from my experience it seems insurance companies are hell bent on avoiding paying out. If, god forbid, they do have to pay out for once, they will ensure they give you the lowest amount they can reasonably achieve (hence the role of an adjuster). 

Try and schedule in one, or maybe two, phone calls a day. You can do it man! Fight it.