Golf GT

Putney

Driving performance

It's not often that a car manufacturer can lay claim to truly impressive engine development, but this time Volkswagen can confidently do so. And it comes wrapped up within the new Golf GT. Under the bonnet there's a new TSI engine which is so impressive it's been awarded the title International Engine of the Year. Or there's the renowned TDI engine, now available in an even more powerful 168 bhp version in addition to the well loved 138 bhp TDI. All packaged with subtly sporty styling, the Golf GT truly is a drivers car.

Out performing the rest

The principal of Volkswagen's TDI diesel technology is power when you need it, efficiently delivered. Their commitment to produce the same benefits in a petrol engine has resulted in the Golf GT TSI; the first production car with a twin-charged, direct air injection petrol engine. Fitted with a turbocharger and a mechanically driven supercharger it generates power at both low revs and high speeds. The result is no turbo lag, no foot down nothingness, just a quick and consistent response, proven by the TSI's sprint to 62 mph in just 7.9 seconds.

The TDI also offers staggering performance with it's 168 bhp diesel unit - the most potent to ever power a Golf. It takes just 8.2 seconds to reach 62 mph and then pushing on to its top speed of 137 mph in no time (where UK law permits).

For a better environment

The Golf GT is a true performance car, but this performance doesn't come at a cost when visiting the pumps. The new TSI petrol engine quietly delivers an impressive 38.2mpg and emits just 178g of CO2 /km which is not only greener but also cheaper to run as a company car. It gets even better with the 2.0-litre 138 bhp TDI engine, which emits just 154g of CO2 /km, and does an impressive 49.6mpg. Altogether better for your pocket and for the planet.

Understated good looks

Despite its literal pulling power, the Golf GT's design is subtly sporty. The unique front grille and 17" alloy wheels set the tone, while the lowered suspension and twin exhaust tailpipes* affirm that this is truly a driver's car. Inside, the sports seats and a three-point leather steering wheel continue the styling, but the Golf GT is also packed with a host of clever driver friendly features such as rain sensors and dusk sensor headlights as standard. Prices start from £17,995 rrp.

*170PS engines only

Edited by Putney

Copy and paste? laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Seen quite a few GT's now mostly driven by Mum's (told you BJohnC wink.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=";)" border="0" alt="wink.gif" /> ). Sound quite nice too.

With an exaust, chip and filter I get the feeling it'll sound awsome.

It took VW months of blowing up engines before they could get the Turbo and supercharger to work with each other.

Id be supprised if anyone would want to mess with the ECU Adam.

Give it time...

As soon as some of the bigger tuning companies get hold of them the smaller companies will follow.

if only it wasn't front wheel drive sad.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":(" border="0" alt="sad.gif" />

whats direct air injection?

i know in the 80's nissan made the twin charged march(micra) superturbo. this was turbo and supercharged and was in mainstream production for asia.

this was injection i think but i'm not 100% sure.

wish more cars these days were rwd.

may also be market aswell. or as you say the market for more expensive option compared to fwd.

i notice 4wd versions of small hatches/city cars get made in japan but the european models of the same car dont get the option.

the size of the cars are no differerent in the 4wd versions i see, only by mm if they are bigger.

edit, having said that i just realise that its not proper mechanical drive to the rear wheels but electric motors.

Edited by beach

When did Clublupo start getting sponsored.

This thread was brought to you by VW UK laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />

Have to say though, the TSI engine is rather impressive, no wonder it got engine of the year. thumbsup.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumbsup:" border="0" alt="thumbsup.gif" />

So TSI stands for Turbo SuperCharged injection?

do all the Audi's I see with TSI have The turbo and supercharged engines?

whats direct air injection?

i know in the 80's nissan made the twin charged march(micra) superturbo. this was turbo and supercharged and was in mainstream production for asia.

this was injection i think but i'm not 100% sure.

wish more cars these days were rwd.

Lancia also experimented with this concept on the Beta Monte Carlo in the 80's as well.

I've said it many, many times but the Polo GTi should have had this engine.

Just got back from test driving a 5dr DSG variant, very refined, nice engine note, but very poor intial acceleration in 1st from standing, having said that, once rolling the engine is awesome, frugal and with a very smooth torque delivery, I too think that the Polo GTI should have had this engine, would have flown out the dealers, but I still think that the Cupra (new shape) will be the dog's danglies and when it comes down to price, VW are havin' a laugh.gif style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" />