Have I missed the 75% off Air Ride deals or something?

DarkStryder360

Ah fair compromise can be an electronic solenoid valve setup. No screens, just switches, but it'll go up an down pretty quick. Manual paddles are nice though as you can raise/lower the car precisely :)

I'm certainly thinking manual is the logical way too go. I like the idea of physical switches and gauges and what not.

Has anyone seen that iLevel accuair are offering? All controlled from an iPhone / iPad / iPod. Cool, but can't help but think technology moves on too fast for it to be long term...

It's still a lot of money though. With regards to the Lupo on air - is everything a straight swap to a gti? As I understand it, gti's have the same struts, boot space etc correct?

And do you need any chassis notching or anything, or does the Lupo go nice and low without much work.

I'm certainly thinking manual is the logical way too go. I like the idea of physical switches and gauges and what not.

Has anyone seen that iLevel accuair are offering? All controlled from an iPhone / iPad / iPod. Cool, but can't help but think technology moves on too fast for it to be long term...

It's still a lot of money though. With regards to the Lupo on air - is everything a straight swap to a gti? As I understand it, gti's have the same struts, boot space etc correct?

And do you need any chassis notching or anything, or does the Lupo go nice and low without much work.

i had manual and it was perfect. No fuss, no messing and no faults. The problem with electronic management in my opinion is that something new comes out every other week so they can never iron out all the creases (faults) which in my opinion doesnt show you much about the company making them. In my opinion they should focus their attention on making a good reliable unit thats not over complicated and wont break.

iLevel was launched recently, again... would you trust an app on your phone to keep your car off the floor? yeah its cool but when you think about it theres a lot to take into consideration. Thats why, in my opinion manual is better.

Gti struts and standard struts are the same. MK2 golf struts also fit.

boot space is the same, only restriction on a Gti is the battery in the wheel well. The standard lupo has more options in terms of boot build because of this.

Its not as expensive as you might imagine if you do it correctly. buy tank, compressor, gauges and valves second hand... you will save loads doing that alone.

Piers missed one important point in his very concise response: if you want to lay frame you will indeed require a chassis notch.

Yeah sorry I missed the part about a notch. It will make your car go lower but they go low enough without it really. 16's and no notch would look mega. Get it sitting right.

• Like 1

This could turn into the ultimate air thread lol!

Should be ok on 15's then? As the plan was to go on 15's. bit worried 16's would be too big for the square shaped arches of the non gti models.

Anyone have any experience of chassis notching? Where've you had it done, how much etc?

Old carpet!

Seriously?! Just been in the garage playing, getting some ideas, got the carpet and the paint, just need the mdf, fixings and rubber mounts now and I'm ready for action!!

• Like 1

Do you find it difficult setting the hight on a manual set up? The thing I like with elevel is that with an initial bit of setting up, all your ride hights are there at a push of a button.

Does the electronic stuff go wrong that often? I can't say I've seen anyone complain about it. Heard a few people complain about bags splitting/leaking though.

Damn, you really do love making pie charts. Tbf I didn't think I'd made that bigger deal on getting air ride, oh and you'd love piers too if you tried his egg, bacon and sausage sarnies.

I feel less is more, with how accessible air is nowadays I felt if I'd made a big song and dance over it it'd come across bizarre as it in tantamount to fitting a BMC CDA.

I have FK's.

I just don't feel the need to go up and down at random times.

If I wanted to be standard height I would drive a standard car (as I basically do daily)

I think the right set of 16's look better than 15's to be honest on a gti. Would sit lovely air'd out too. On a standard Lupo I'd say 15's to be fair.

Iv known a few people have issues with electronic management. Don't get me wrong they sell thousands and you only hear of a few going wrong which I'm sure is the same for the manual set up. But the repair cost of each are 2 different animals.

Pete. I'm glad you enjoyed my cooking. Now get your build thread done and build up the suspense!!

Vote piers in every category I'm in!

Edited by Piers