Lupo's in Snow?

Aunty Pam

How do the Lupo's perform in the snow? This will be my 1st winter as a Lupo driver & am just wondering how she will cope, Mine is a 1.4 S 16V with standard wheels & tyres at present. I am buying some 14inch wheels & tyres soon but they are not on yet.

What does everyone think of the handling of their car in the snow?

Some interesting comments! I have had a Fiat Seicento for the past couple of years, before that a Golf, Fiesta & Clio. they were all good as the tyres were fairly narrow & they gripped in the snow. I'll let you know how it goes. We have very bad snow here usually as we are high up.

Last winter for me was fine! Just take it easy, I was driving down roads with snowdrifts higher than my car. I reach a hill and decide to give it some more revs to ensure I get to the top and don't slide into anything. With the tyre's spinning (not foot down all the way just gaining momentum without screwing my tyre's over) my girlfriend decides to hit me and tell me to stop being a dick thinking I was trying to drift or something!? Anyway yeah they're fine :)

Yes, they are prone to understeer anyhow, so just be careful of losing the front end. Low revs and get up through the gears as soon as possible.

Just drive careful and you'll be fine.

Worthwhile getting a set of 14" steels and getting winter tyres fitted if you have the storage space.

On winter tyres the Lupo performs brilliantly in the snow. I also drive some quattro Audis, but I am just as happy to take the Lupo. It's lack of mass really helps when steering and stopping, and most of the weight it has is over the driven wheels.

The only problem I find is ground clearance is a bit limited in deep snow. If there is a ridge of in the middle of the road left by 4x4s, the bumper scoops up the snow and can clog the radiator. Above 60mph it blows over the bonnet and you can see where you are going.

On packed snow it is fine.

LupoSnow1.jpg

You are welcome to the Merc, I shall keep the Lupo, thanks.

• 2 months later...