Thanks house brick.......... :/

Hey guys!

Driving to work this morning and there was a house brick or something like it in the middle of the road. I couldn't avoid it as there were cars behind and to the side of me :(. It was a horrible noise, and I screamed lol :(. Brick went everywhere, and the guy behind me wasn't too please.. Woops.

Anyway, Oscar is now making a horrible grinding noise when I pull off and up to third gear. There is nothing hanging down... that I can see of. The gear box feels fine and the engine/exhaust sounds fine.

Any ideas? :(

xx

When you say a horrible grinding noise, need a few more details. How loud? Where's it coming from, front, back, any side? (try your best to guess, e.g. rear axle? )? I know you probably aren't able to get underneath but from what you can see from the front, back and sides can you say approximately wear the main impact was?

Edited by Skezza

Could just be the backing plate catching the disc. That makes a rather disconcerting noise, but is about as serious as a gibbon on a stick.

Second that, grit or small piece of the biock trapped behind the disc brake and the backing plate. Sounds awful up until you reach a speed where it cant be heard over road noise.

Has happened to my mrs' twice, jack the car up at the front, rotate the wheels and you should hear the grinding noise.

Hopefully its that, easy fix and seems likely considering you smashed up a brick.

Edited by fatttty

Thanks for all the replies guys! Seriously, it's great :). Love CL <3

I've been at work all day so haven't had a chance to check anything, at the gym now and I've driven about two miles and the noise did stop but then it started again. I really can't tell if its from the front or the back. I might have a look when I get home, if my brother is there. If not it'll have to wait until the weekend. Do you think it'll be okay to drive? I only do 16 miles a day xx

I once had some nasty grating from the Arosa. Really noisy and bad, but stopped at around 30mph.

Got home from work and had a look couldn't see anything. Jacked the car up to spin the wheel and have a closer look and a stone fell out from somewhere in the brake\hub assy.

Hope it's as simple for you.

I'm sure one of these guys will check your under carriage for you if you ask nicely

Giggedy :cheeky:

• Like 1

Giggedy :cheeky:

^^lol thanks guys! :)

Jacked him up last night; me, my dad and my brother had a look everything looks absolutely fine. Gave everything a good wobble but couldn't hear the noise :(. The brick definitely hit my sump. I was lucky tbh! Going to have another good look at the weekend, when we've got more time. I'll keep you updated, if you want? Lol xx

Yeah do it, provide pics tho-Megan fox in transformers styleee. Seriously tho yoi may need to get right underneath if you drive it and the fault is still there so you can take a look at the drive shafts, see if any of the debris got swept up there if there is nothing visual or audible when the wheels are spinning.

I guess it is slightly possible that summat got between your pads and discs and damaged the abs sensor, that can cause a horrific noise at lower speeds.

• Like 1

My brakes feel fine and I haven't got abs :( LOL! Do you think it might have knocked something out of place a little bit and its causin a vibration? The more I listen, the less I think it's a grinding noise :( xx

When you say less like grinding? So is it more like a constant vibration?

Is it rhythmic? As in not a constant noise. That's can be an indication something is caught in the pads or wheels (each rotation causing a single grind obviously). If it hit your sump you are pretty lucky to be honest lol.

Tell that to the sump!!

No, what I mean is, if the house brick hit your sump and didn't split it, you're lucky lol! I don't mean you're lucky it hit the sump, I mean you're lucky that you didn't damage the sump despite hitting it lol!

Bad sentence on my part ;)

• Like 1

Found out last night that it hit the exhaust. Towards the back of the exhaust it has moved backwards but not 100% sure if they're any holes etc. going to get it up on the ramps on Saturday to have a better look!!!!

Just hoping its not anything expensive :(. xx

Towards the back as in near the tailpipe?

I know this sounds strange but if it's moved (or broken) your exhaust anywhere between the mid and rear section, check that it isn't tapping your suspension leg. About 6 months ago, my Lupo was making a hell of a noise when going round corners and I thought the exhaust was simply falling off and started to drag on the floor, but on first inspection. it hadn't so I kept driving, when I got back under and had a proper look, I realized that the mid section had broken away and the rubber noose thing that held it on was shaking it and it had been tapping (quite hard might I add) against the suspension leg. Didn't cause any damage though.