gti or tdi

ditchyboy

Hi,

I am a new member called Michael and i am on the lookout for a Lupo. My dilemma is that i would like the cheap tax and mpg of the tdi but i prefer the exterior, interior and performance of the gti. The gti wont be much more to tax and run than my rubbish fiesta so at least a nicer better performing car will make up for the outlay. My budget is £2500 or close to that if possible.

Basically i would like opinions on if the gti's performance and looks etc is worth the extra running costs.

Thanks

Michael

Am i likely to get a tdi sport for £2500 that isnt battered? I do like the thought of the cheaper motoring but the gtis just look really nice. What is the tdi sports performance like after re-map?

thanks for above reply

Hi,

I am a new member called Michael and i am on the lookout for a Lupo. My dilemma is that i would like the cheap tax and mpg of the tdi but i prefer the exterior, interior and performance of the gti. The gti wont be much more to tax and run than my rubbish fiesta so at least a nicer better performing car will make up for the outlay. My budget is £2500 or close to that if possible.

Basically i would like opinions on if the gti's performance and looks etc is worth the extra running costs.

Thanks

Michael

bUY a GTI than stick in a TDI lump, :tongueout:

I think you will get a tdi what's nice condition for that amount of money

But for 2.5k a gti will have over 100k on the clock at least

And might look tired and may have problems with central locking ,electric window switches,gear box seals

Depends if you time and money to fix the faults or you live with them

Most people to be fair look after there cars on here.

I hope this helps

Pete

Edited by lupo pete

fatasss i have actually thought about the tdi in the gti body shell, lol!! i think it might be more hassle than its worth though. Maybe just get the seats etc out of a gti to make the inside a bit nicer

fatasss i have actually thought about the tdi in the gti body shell, lol!! i think it might be more hassle than its worth though. Maybe just get the seats etc out of a gti to make the inside a bit nicer

Well if you get a later TDI sport they have the GTI trim fitted as standard! mine is a 53 reg & has the same seats fitted as the GTI :)

oh ok. Well i dont know if i could get a later tdi sport for that money but nevermind, a slightly earlier tdi sport would do. Just means i can put more of my own touches on it as i go along. Is it defo only the later ones that have GTi seats?

Unless they've been fitted afterwards, which is easy done if you wanted to do it. Seriously you'll get a tidy tdi for 2.5k, gti you'll struggle.

You want peformance you'll pay for it simple as, and the tdi's are not getting any cheaper I tell you that! Having just got a tdi I found some prices were way to high, trying to cash in on the cheap road tax 'current economic climate' and all that bs!

I'm pretty sure that in a straight line race, the performance difference between a standard GTI and a mapped TDI would be neglible.

The TDI would certainly be more useable, with all that torque coming in at around 2000rpm, whereas the GTI doesn't do much till 5000rpm.

Same car really, and they came with the same engines apart from the GTI 1.6

Yer similar apart from being totally different! Pretty much ever body panel is different.

Just save up and buy a Gti, unless you do a million miles a year you won't regret it.

• Like 1

Yer similar apart from being totally different! Pretty much ever body panel is different.

That was in response to a question as to comparisons between Lupo TDIs & Arosa TDIs, every panel between the windscreen & the tailgate is the same, and underneath they are the same car.

I love my TDI... had about 3... have also had a mapped one and they are very quick... all to do with the torque.... My friend in his GTI could keep up, but didnt have the guts in it to overtake me lol...

Gti's obviously look better i think, but with the fuel & tax prices... id go with the tdi... Just watch out as some of them are on dearer tax than £30 a year!

My tdi is up for sale, under 140k, fsh and £30 tax... Might be a bit high for you mile wise tho its average for a 2001, but im looking for £2k... is in the classifieds as this isnt really the place for a for sale thread...

Ive seen TDI's for sale with 300k on before on ebay, mainly the bigger polo with the same 1.4tdi engine.. but its enough to show that the engine can go that far lol...

Just another note, the arosa's dont seem to hold their value like the Lupo.. Its strange being practially the same car lol..

Good luck with your search :)

• 2 weeks later...