WD40, and other similar lubricants...

James827

Will these freeze or prevent seizing in low temperatures?

the key barrel in my drivers door was rather stiff today. :cheeky:

just wanna know if a Squirt or two of the slippery stuff will help prevent this.

i read a thread about this to do with ignition barrels but not sure if that was related to Temperature

I read on Answer Bag: WD40 was sprayed on steel and left for 20mins @ -25 deg C outside and it froze.

Another find on www.F150online.com reports a rep from WD40 sent an email saying freezing level was -50deg F.

I say go for it.

Halfords sell a door lock spray is key shaped and when you put it in the barrel it sprays inside there.

but is that just key lock lubricant or deicer?

Edited by James827

Its de-icer. Cant imagine it does the lock mechanism any good

that's what i was thinking. although i goggled about this before i started the thread and some are like a mixture of lubricants and deicers.

The one thing not to use is boiling water.

If the metal in the lock is cold enough the rapid temp change will either crack it or break it.

Luke warm water is a much better option.

As said by Def', wd40 will remove the water so they'll be nothing there to freeze.

The one thing not to use is boiling water.

If the metal in the lock is cold enough the rapid temp change will either crack it or break it.

Luke warm water is a much better option.

Yeah, I didn't mean pour boiling hot water into the lock mechanism.. Just use the hot water to warm the key, so when it enters the lock it removes the frost! :)

Well i gave all 3 locks a sprinkle of the good stuff. so i guess well will just have to sit and wait..but In the summer when i have more money il be stripping my drivers lock away (Courtesy light switch) so il grease it good then.

I use this method, last winter my doors and windows and locks kept freezing up, gave everything a good squirt with WD and it didnt do it again.

My understanding is that it displaces the water / moisture so there is nothing to freeze.