Matte army green vinyl wrap

Haakon

So I'm in the process of wrapping my silver 3L in matte army green vinyl and I thought I might share some pics of the process while I'm at it.

Using 3M 1080 series wrap vinyl:

IMG_1586.jpg

Ordered a roll of army green, and a few metres of carbon fiber vinyl:

IMG_1855.jpg

Car as it were (just wrapped the grill in this pic):

IMG_1879.jpg

I started with a front wing, since these are pretty small and easy to do (compared to the rest of the car), and easy to manage without any helping hands

IMG_1883.jpg

Came out like this:

IMG_1884.jpg

Next I did the trunklid, already debadged and smoothed beforehand.

IMG_1891.jpg

Got some help to do the doors, mainly removing the handles (I did not know how easy this turned out to be :D But always nice to have a VAG mechanic drop by to show some secrets!)

IMG_1899.jpg

Door handle and lock trim wrapped and installed:

IMG_1895.jpg

How it looks now, about halfway done:

IMG_1896.jpg

For the next step, doing the bonnet and bumpers, I'm awaiting access to my friends heated garage with a scissor car lift, making things much easier. It is between 0 and 7 degrees out here in Norway now, too cold to work with vinyl. But by Wednesday most of the car should be done.

So that's all for now :) Updates will follow!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes,doing the whole bumpers. Vinyl does not stick well to these surfaces, so I have 3M's primer 94 to help it adhere. Think the 3Ls look best with bumpers fully coloured/painted.

Not removing doors etc, car will remain silver inside. Not wrapping inside of a-pillars and all along the roof trim inside of the car either, just a standard exterior wrap. I have never seen a car wrapped inside the door openings, bootlid opening etc either come to think of it?

And yes, spotted the textured plastic question trap, haha :) Actually, I tried to wrap the plastic covers in the bumper with carbon fiber vinyl about a year ago, and pulled it off to change it to green a few days ago, and it had held up perfectly since last november. This was without any primer/adhesive help. So its a trial and error effort, but its always safer to prime it. I have also done up the cover over the speedometer/rev counter, and the console for the stereo/air vents without any more help than a good cleaning with isopropanol before applying, and those have also held up for a year now.

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Its almost impossible to wrap all the door shuts etc isnt it?

Id leave the fog inserts in carbon personally, will look good against the green, also how do you manage to keep the carbon pattern unstretched/warped on the speedo surround, surely you have to heat and stretch it loads to get rid of the creases?

You learn as you go along how to work the vinyl to get the least amount of warping possible. For the speedo surround for instance, I made it tight from one bulge to the other, and worked it straight down in the recess under, instead of beginning in the recess and stretching the vinyl over the bulges and around the edges.

Just to show a good/bad example, here is a speaker pod on the first and second try:

IMG_1264.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

Was a bit better the second time :)

How hard is this? :P I've tried vinyl on some smaller parts, but I can't really get it to stick. I use a heat gun to soften it up and to mold it into corners etc. Flat spots are easy and sticks perfectly, but the uneaven places are hard. Might be because I'm doing plastic bits? or can you heat it up to much maybe?

• 2 weeks later...

when can we see the final Wrapped car. . . eager from Surrey !

Inspiring stuff. Didn't even know you could do this kinda thing. I've always fancied a matt black car (probably look terrible right enough)

Hope you don't mind me asking, but what would be the approximate price of doing something like this?

Not completely done yet, the car has been off the road for a while because of brake failure, and I had to wait 2 weeks for 3L brake parts to arrive from VW in germany. Not stocked in Norway since the 3L has never been sold officially here.

But changed the brakes this weekend, and got the car up and running so I could take it to my friends garage with a car lift, so we could do the bumpers. Only missing the bonnet, quarter panels and sills now, but the sills have to be mended a bit before wrapping them. Some rust and a lot of small dings in them ;)

But some pics of yesterdays work!

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg

Had to fit the winter tyres, looks a bit **** on 4x14" wheels and 155/65 studded tyres :/ Think I'll paint them black, fits the colour scheme better. And have the winter to decide if I should keep the chrome Porsche wheels, or try something else for next season

IMG_1929.jpg

What he said :)

3L magnesium wheels, they weigh about 3kg each. But are only 4" wide, so even 155 tyres look like balloons :P

Summer wheels are rare OEM chromed 928s, imported from USA where chrome rims were an optional extra on the 928. Very low maintenance compared to hand polished and unprotected ones :)