Do not take out Rear Adjusters!

Cooper_GTI

OK, firstly Scotty, you fraggle, get that belly shaved before I get cross, I've learnt not to use the word vexed as people seem to think I is ghetto, secondly, I have no doubt that those on here with any mechanical knowledge have their own experiences in their career that makes them feel they know best, but everyone is different, do things differently, and possibly incorrectly on the first go, I've done it, jacked the back up and not realised one spring was in lobsided, it does seem a little strange for the spring to have slipped with the car back together from a little drop off a kerb, maybe you should look into that coops as it may, as you think be something defective with your AP's. Come on boys, love, not hate yeah? And yes, adjusters or helpers out for track action is a big no no. Love love.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant be arsed to be honest. It's quite clear that none of you (loopete excluded) can see anyones point of view but your own.

All i wanted to do with this thread was make it appear when people search for "rear adjusters", so they can see that there is quite clearly more downsides than upsides when removing them, and that in my case (not all), it was deemed far too dangerous for normal road use.

As already said, if your taking the rear adjusters out it suggests your doing it to match the height of the front. If so, you'll be running your front end too low to get the best out of it handling wise as you'll just be under-steering everywhere!

And £800 on AP's? Surely someone with 'knowledge' would have gone and bought KW's!

Wow, you claim us lot can only see our view point.

Have you even read any one elses posts?

The **** you come out with is stunning.

Most people here who own Lupos have them as their first car/are young males, we are much more interested in how the car looks than how it drives (shown by how popular TA coilovers are).

You are the only person who has had a spring fall while driving, so some how I think people who want to get their car low will carry on removing the adjusters.

Take you're blinkers off, pull the stick out of your arse, get over people not bowing down to your "superiour knowledge" and move on. Oh and your car will be crap on a track if you're running that low.

Edited by Deadmetal

I obviously dont run my car that low on the track! I only do 1 or 2 a year, and when i do, i lift it up and fit 15" speedlines with R888's. The lowness was actually for the USC meet that happened near me last night, as there were several magazines there doing photo shoots.

Bobbo, what makes you think i spent £800 just on coilovers...? You need to factor in uprated roll bar, polybushes, top mounts and a full £200 geometry setup at centre of gravity near me.

Although, i am soon to scrap the crappy AP's in favour of a Bilstein B12 setup with a 40mm drop.

Mods may as well delete the thread as it's far too biased towards no adjusters being safe and sound, which really wasnt the impact i was going for. It was more of a warning than anything and, in my eyes, required no real response.

I think it just needs cleaning up a bit, it can't hurt to show both sides of the story, or at least to highlight any dangers that can come from not being very careful when fiddling with suspension. As I say, I didn't realise my spring hadn't sat fully till I came to check a clanging noise after changing a set of wheels, totally my own fault but it can happen if you aren't aware of it, and I should know better, I've worked with rally cars, f1 cars, dragsters, I've been to the moon twice, and I have my own cosmetics range coming out next spring.....

So you wanted to everyone to think that runnig no adjusters isnt safe (when it is) and now people who have run without adjusters came in a gave examples of running no adjusters safely you get all uppity.

It needed a response, as the title and op are wrong. It needed to be put right, as it has. Just because it happend once, to one person doesnt make it dangerous.

Do you not get xrays, imunizations, go out in the sun, drink beer all because one person had an adverse reaction?

Bobbo, what makes you think i spent £800 just on coilovers...? You need to factor in uprated roll bar, polybushes, top mounts and a full £200 geometry setup at centre of gravity near me.

I just assumed you'd got the dampening adjustable ones as you just said £800 on suspension. £200 on Geo, what did they do?

If the spring falls out then I would say its very dangerous, however as dead metal said, his dont. I wouldnt remove adjusters as the handeling is far worse in my opion and far more likley to be coil bound. I think its down to personal prefference what you do, your never convince others on this issue so do what you think is safe, then you only have 1 person to blaim!

I just assumed you'd got the dampening adjustable ones as you just said £800 on suspension. £200 on Geo, what did they do?

The £200 was mainly labour charges. He spent a little over 6 hours in total.

This included an intitial test drive, then a chat to see what i wanted out of the car, then setting the corner weights, front camber, toe and caster on the front, then setting rear camber.

Then another test drive, from both him and me, then got it back on the ramp for a final tweak to correct the lift off oversteer, then another test drive to double check what he'd done, then a 2 year guarantee on the work he carried out.

Check em out. Its centre of gravity in Atherstone. Best £200 i've ever spent!

Edited by Cooper_GTI

I don't want to get heavily involved.

But I think personal insults are way uncalled for seeing as Cooper was just suggesting people check that there own springs are safe without there adjusters. It doesn't make him 'an arse' - the fact he spent the time to write the thread and argue his point shows he's trying to be helpful. And to those saying 'Stop your bitching, if you don't like it don't do it', pot, kettle, black. If you disagree with cooper wind your neck in and leave the thread - easy!

You also have to remember the insurance side of running no adjusters - if your car gets checked over after a crash and they find that there are suspension components missing you might struggle to get a pay out. And therefore your insurance is worth diddly squit.

Thanks for the heads up sir, I'm off to check my springs are correctly seated :wave:

Might be worth mentioning that TA springs are longer than APs

and that my APs are on a non-GTI so there may be very slight differences between the 2 setups, but I know that I can pull my springs straight out when its jacked right up on every setup I've run (without adjusters being used properly)

It's in no way 100% safe but from personal experience I haven't had any trouble with mine but I drive slow :D

I've got KW V1's, and have ran adjusterless (still with the base plates) for about 5 years.

The springs always relocate themselves properly after being jacked, with a loud 'ping'. I always check to make sure they're in the right place, but I don't need to push them.

I have driven on them very hard, over very rough, bumpy country roads, and had quite major air on a couple of occasions.

Never had any problems.

People who are passing the info on about it being safe are doing so from personal experience, although it is obviously at your own risk if you choose to run like that.

Fair enough coming on and saying you've had a bad experience, it all helps people decide what they want to do and think twice about following advice on forums, which is good. But to call all other people stupid for doing so is what got peoples backs up.

@Jabbels, he wasnt suggesting people check anything. He was stating as fact, and the refusing to acknowledge any coutner arguments, that running no adjusters is a severe fault and dangerous.

He was not trying to be helpfull, he was claiming any one who runs with no adjuster is ignorant and knows nothing about cars.

He took a "I know better than you" attitude and point blank refused to even consider that running no adjusters is perfectly fine.

So, me calling him an arse was perfectly justified.

This whole atitude of "thats not right, but I'll just ignore it" screws things up even more as the truth never gets told.

You kids are funny. lets all calm down and play nice,

Deadmetal i suggest you read the T&C's about the choice use of language, and then getting round the swear block.. is there any need?? unless it makes you feel any better... if it does you need to grow up.

TBH, i had exactly the same experience with my KW's as cooper, i didnt make it too far, infact only 5 metres to the edge of my drive but i think i realised what happened, i jacked up one side at a time to remove the adjuster and adaptor.... not realising that doing so twisted the rear beam slightly which moved the other side spring out of place and given the slightest bump cocked it over....

I think a lot of weather its safe or not comes down to the length of the damper, as i hope most of you have noticed that the standard dampers on the rear are longer than aftermarket versions.... well maybe in good kits anyhow.

The original spring sits in there with no problems, so why shouldn't an aftermarket one? Why remove them.... well it looks good, but IMO impractical and makes the car bounce round corners.

John

I've got KW V1's, and have ran adjusterless (still with the base plates) for about 5 years.

Bingo, adjusters take about 10mm off, but removing the base plates is just silly.

That's why your springs fall out, there's nothing to hold them in place.

It was the thread title and this statement that got my back up tbh.

It really pisses me off that people consider this a safe modification and and has been recommended to so many people, often with minimal mechanical knowledge, that this is a safe and practical way of decking your car.

No questions first just straight in there saying people have no mechanical knowledge and that its completely un-safe!

Edited by bobbo

What initially got my back up was the fact that every thread on this forum regarding rear adjusters says it's perfectly fine to take them out for an extra -10mm, which sounds very appealing. Then to follow that, you continue to say, even after my explanation, it's prefectly fine and safe to run without them.

I wasted a good couple of hours (mainly freeing off the stuck adjusters with oxyacetalyne) going by the opinion of trusted forum users, but it goes to show that i'm not the only one who has had bad experiences as some of you think. And to then say i have done it incorrectly is pretty pathetic.

Does that also mean Casper took out his adjusters incorrectly too, being as his springs also fell out?

Yes it does, from my experience I find it best to ignore John altogether, that's why I have done nothing to my car that he has done to his car, apart from wash and polish it, and even then I use different materials to him.