How fast is a 20VT?

Cooper_GTI

I'd pm some 20v lupo owners then coop. Probably the easiest way without getting all sorts of posts of 'my mates car is this quick'. That way you get info right from the horses mouth, plus they're more likely to take notice of a pm now the notification system is working again, and are likely to see an email and respond instead of just having a quick scan through CL and happening across this thread. Just a thought.

FYI though before I bought the lupo I had a 20v b6 a4 quattro with that engine in, played about with bits and bobs and got it mapped up to 215bhp and it was pretty quick. It weighed in excess of 1200kilos. That is all.

Cheers mate. I think i'll do that!

With regards to your A4, i was behind a 1.8t A4 on a motorway slip road. Put it this way, the Lupo struggled, and it was completely standard and puffing smoke like there's no tomorrow! Suprising to say the least.

As standard the a4 b6 came in 3 forms, 150bhp, 163bhp and the 190bhp. You can tell the 190 as the t in 1.8t is red instead of silver. ;)

Ah right, maybe it was a quick one then! Although it was mint green, with some boring wheels. It didnt give anything away!

This is true, but think when they were 1st produced the european market were'nt really into turbo-ing their smallest of the range, with possibly a few exceptions, Renault, fiat...

Small displacement turboing is certainly nothing new though.

Look at the old Renault 5's, RS turbo's, Glanza's, Uno turbo's etc.

These are a bunch of small engined cars that would give a lot of modern hot hatches a run for their money.

Although, i agree, VAG have never really made small capacity turbo cars until recent years.

My Audi S3 225bhp BAM engine was chiped to 265/270 ish bhp and that was rapid if you kept it on boost. In standard form it was a 6 second 0-60 and that must have improved slightly with the chip.

I did have to change the airbox hose to an uprated samco one as it the original one used to colapse and starve the engine when it got hot.

I read that the Lupo GTI was originally going to be an RSI, like the fast New Beetle, hence going all out with the wider arches and things rather that the simple changes of VW's previous GTI's. Apparently it was planned to have a 1.9 V4 Turbo, then they decided it was too expensive so chucked the 1.6 16v out of the Polo in.

Can't remember where I read that though. Might have dreamt it. :lol:

Arnt the RSI beetles a 3.2 V6? One of my friends enlightened me to a beetle I hadn't heard of before the other day. A beetle millennium cup! They only made them in the middle east. They state they are 150 BHP but are 180 BHP with all RSI body panels they look pretty cool on google images

1.8t's are as fast as you make them.

The GTI isn't quick, but it is nippy and putting a 1.8T in just takes away from the original character of the car.

If you want a 1.8T in something, you should buy something with it in, there's many places for them, Lupo doesn't really seem to be it.

My Lupo 1,8t made 189whp and 300Nm on the rollers.

Its got Stage 2 Ecu and full 2,5" exhaust and GreenCotton full flow airfilter.

I can say that its a fast car but far from insanely fast.

It works fine as a trackday car but is a bit heavy in the nose.

My car serves as a daily driver and it handles as if it still had the 1,4 16v

in it, its just lots of more power :)

Andt heres no greater feeling that the one of racing a BMW or an Audi and beating/humiliyating them with

the "cute" little Lupo :D

Arnt the RSI beetles a 3.2 V6?

Yes but not the same 3.2 V6 as the R32.

The motor in the Beetle RSI was a sack of crap only running 220ish BHP. Single coilpack was used instead of multiple coils, they always have nightmare issues with plug leads (which are £30 a pop from the dealer and take months to arrive in stock). They use the old VR6 Cylinder head (12v) not the later generation 24v one! :( If I bought a beetle RSI it'd be getting an R32 engine dropped in lol.

Wouldn't mind seeing/reading how much BHP you can actually realistically get out of a 1.8t

Mines 545bhp ;)

Its in a mk1 TT tho! There are people out there with 900bhp ones etc.... About as drivable as a boat, but people do drive them on the road! I know a 900 ish bhp Jetta FWD :lol:

Edited by Bikerz

Don't you think the more power you have though the less you can use? Wont it just spin up even more when you plant your foot? No point having all that power and not be able to put it down! That'd drive me mad!

yes any more and it would be terrible i need a lsd before i go for more power and i don't really know my 0-62 i can't remember what i was doing at inters when i can drive again ill see what it can do it spins up big style tho

matt