Shocking MPG

Well im shocked...

full tank 150 miles!! 22mpg!

what the heck is going on here?

car just passed MOT today so can't be running rich!

its been 7k since i serviced it fully

new HT leads, spark plugs, oil flush, oil filter, oil, cleaned piperx

only thing i didnt change was fuel filter??

im going to try clean air filter and change oil again on saturday, anyone any idea's?

i've also fitted new coolant temp sensor and thermostat around 3 months ago too :o

I've had between 140 and 170 miles to every tank I've put in my gti in a year. It runs perfect, been serviced regularly as well as vag comd and majority of replaceable stuff changed. In my case it is definitely caused by short journeys as I now have a new job and drive a few more miles a day and got 200 from last tank. I know how frustrating it is but that's solved my confusion, hope it may explain yours. Do you do many short journeys?

Patrick

I also had this for a while but after filling the tank and driving quite carefully until the light came on i managed 210 miles. I reckon i could easily have got more as you always get moments when you cant help being a bit right foot heavy!

There are so many factors affecting average MPG, why don't you just use a website like the one in my signature to keep an accurate tab on it? I know lots of members used to.

And fuel wise i alway run on vpower have done since i got it 7k miles ago

But this tank i used tesco momentum 99?

It says its 99 octane but is that a lot of poop??

Try going back to V power then...

Gets about 3mpg more in my M3 on V power so I stick to that.

I fill up with tesco regular, usually get about 300 miles to the tank.

what using the expansion tank and continually going 55 downhill, or did the previous owner stick a gti badge on a sdi?

or is the accelerator restricted?

impressive sir

And fuel wise i alway run on vpower have done since i got it 7k miles ago

But this tank i used tesco momentum 99?

It says its 99 octane but is that a lot of poop??

sounds like an anti-tesco protest on the part of your gti. very astute car.

Interesting to see, i stuck a tank of momentum in my sport cos i didn't have the time to go over to the shell and fill up. It also hated it, got really low mpg (26 instead of low-mid 30's) and I ended up with the engine check light on by the end of the tank.

The passat also got it for the last tank, and it didn't mind so much, mpg wasn't that different from normal.

what using the expansion tank and continually going 55 downhill, or did the previous owner stick a gti badge on a sdi?

or is the accelerator restricted?

impressive sir

I reckon I can get 400 miles out of mine, had 350 last month! If I ever go on a really long motorway journey Ill go for the big 400.

Edited by Defcon5

400! i thought i was doing well with 270 and i was worried about running out!

400 is a very bold claim. I've managed 285 out of mine on a couple of occasions without using the expansion tank and by doing mainly motorway driving, and on those occasions I was very happy. 240-260 miles to the beginning of the red zone is about normal and that works out at the MPG seen in my signature, currently 40.6MPG.

• 1 month later...

400 is a very bold claim. I've managed 285 out of mine on a couple of occasions without using the expansion tank and by doing mainly motorway driving, and on those occasions I was very happy. 240-260 miles to the beginning of the red zone is about normal and that works out at the MPG seen in my signature, currently 40.6MPG.

Some strange figures being banded about here.

Just a thought & worth blowing £10.00 at Halfords Millers fuel additive boosts octane & cleans all the parts when doing so

pm me your e mail & i'll send you a pic of the one I have used before now so you know what to look out for & what it can do (there are different ones)

Tesco 99 is good stuff AMD use it on their race cars as do a No of other firms I know such as rallytech who run a team of Subaru rally cars.

Anyway point is put in the best fuel you can afford or get your hands on.

I have 2 Gti's 1 totally OEM does what it says on the can 38-40mpg

Another modified to 145bhp

I use the expansion tank on both as pitiful fuel tank on the loops & get around 200-220 out of modded Loop, as you can't floor it everywhere

I am usually on short journeys 11 miles to work 11 miles back traffic can be heavy at times

I use the car as they were meant to be used/driven can't see the point in having one otherwise sat there being a miser, it's an insult to the Gti badge.

My dad has an Auto 1.4S 75bhp & my nephew a 100 bhp sport I have owned these 2 of mine for many years & been right down to Bournemouth & back living in Lancashire & all over the country in most of the above I have never ever seen any of them on extended runs driving at a steady between 60-70 return 400 miles

My dads Loop has 22k on it from new & Full VAG service it is a total minter & I would be truly stunned to see 400 out of a tank.

He lives not far from me & goes up to Newcastle regular is over 80 drives like what he is an old man, usually a queue of traffic behind him trying to get past & he doesn't get figures like the ones being quoted for Gti's, unless they are running on fairy dust or have slipped on the keyboard when entering the figures

Not sure if that has helped but think your modded Loop is similar to mine & as I say I look at 200 ish out of a tank

Edited by leweylupo

I get 170-190miles out of my tank but I always fill up when the light comes on. What's this expansion tank then? :confused:

It's a tank partway up the filler neck, when petrol expands in the heat of a summer's day, if you've overfilled your tank it will flow into this expansion tank, rather than pishing out all over your car/floor where it's fire risk.

If you look in when you're next filling up, you'll see a little black lever on the right side of the fuel hole, when the pump clicks off, if you use the nozzle to move this lever, you'll hear a hiss of escaping air, and you should be able to put more fuel in.

Not recommended on a hot day though, unless you're immediately going off for a long drive.