I know most of you won't agree...

sat1983

The GTI will definitely be a future classic- I find modifying one a crying shame. At a push lowering it a touch is ok but beyond that no.

Would anyone on here agree? :unsure:

Edited by sat1983

I completely agree that it will be a classic, but it's a GTI, top of the range - it odes itself to being modified as generally the people that buy them are of that nature.

Luckily most of the modified trends found in VW circles are of high quality with only subtle changes, rather than a lot of modifying scenes where low quality parts are used to make cars look as close to a brightly coloured spaceship as possible.

I suppose what I'm saying is you won't stop it (not that you're trying to) and it could be worse :lol:

Sorry, but you're in the minority here I think :)

I do agree the GTI will be a future classic and a standard example is exptremely hard to come by. But as Reed said the majority are modified to a high quality.

My own is modified but with pretty much OEM+ parts, I feel I've tweeked it and improved on what VW started off with.

Defo be a classic but i think the car looks 100 times better when its been lowered, if you notice on here people dont go putting stupid front bumpers on, most lupos are lowered with a nice set of wheels, which i think is enough and can be turned back to standard easly.

The GTI will definitely be a future classic- I find modifying one a crying shame. At a push lowering it a touch is ok but beyond that no.

Would anyone on here agree? :unsure:

Agree 100%.

The Lupo GTI is wonderful car and one I suspect VW put a lot of effort into. It was a clever combination of L3 bits, some subtle modifications and the Polo GTI engine. It works well and looks fantastic. I suppose a slight lowering should be allowed but otherwise leave the poor things alone.

I would like to think it was a classic but consider most people don't even know what a Lupo is, calling it a Polo, it will probably be remembered as a Polo - by idiots.

lol

anyway... i would have kept mine as close to standard but it was a sheer mess when i bought it so there wasn't really any point in putting it back to factory. it would have cost too much aswell :) lovely wee cars though.

Stef, you bought a lupo ?

Hey Rich- didn't realise it was you! Yep- got myself a GTI. I've put a deposit down and if all goes well pick up day is monday! :)

What have you got these days?

I agree 100%.

I sold mine completely standard (down to Dunlop 205/45/15s) in great condition but saw it for sale last year in a garage in Melton Mowbray looking in a sorry state :angry2: . I wish I'd been more fussy about who I sold it to.

I agree with this aswell, its all well good having a modifed scene, but the important thing is where are the standard ones in show condition so we can show the public a good variety of Lupos at most shows.

i've just replaced my ebay coilovers in favour of a nice subtle 40/30mm drop on AP suspension

just need some mint bathursts now

i agree look best standard... maybe with some wheel spacers and a subtle drop :shades:

I think modifying has become very limited for the Lupo Gti. Its now mainly a slight lowering kit and a set of wheels, both of which easy reversible. This is all I've done to mine, and pretty much all I intend to do. I only sold the bathursts as I was really in need of the money, but the standard springs are staying boxed up in the garage. Im not so keen on the hardcore modifying of them with air bags etc, as a hot hatch was never meant to have suspension that has no regards to handling (neither was it meant to have laughable body roll :P).

I agree, which is why James' (99hjm) car is so amazing!

Aww, thanks James, but honestly, it's nothing compared to some of the cars on here.

I bought mine fully intending to keep in factory standard, replacing worn OEM parts, then the bug bit. They will be a future classic, but in another 10-15 years. There is a guy on Edition with a Mk4 Anni', 6 (YES 06) miles from new! But it will be a very long time before it's worth what he paid for it when new. Lupo GTI is 20% rarer than a Anni'.

IMO, any mod that can be put back to standard if you hold on to the parts is a good thing. Having suspension and wheels that have done less mileage than the car can only be good?

I do agree with you when it comes to smoothing etc as you'll never get it perfect again!