Bye Bye Lupo :-(

Alex_225

Well after having my Lupo Sport for over 2 years, today I said goodbye! :(

Having spent a fair bit of money getting her looking spotless, getting rid of any dings or marks in the paint. Having the roof resprayed, the wheels refurished and detailing it to within an inch if it's life it's now gone. A very nice chap who saw my feeler thread on her made me a good offer and the deal was done a few weeks back.

The new owner seems just as keen as I'd hoped so I think she's going to a good home. I'm just proud to say I'd owned one of the best Lupos around and a car people genuinely loved. Only car I've had where people have stopped me as I get out of it to comment on it.

Undoubtedly one of my favourite cars ever and one of the best cars I've ever owned, will be missed.

IMG_8336.jpg

Yeah I am replacing it but still waiting for the car.

The replacement had quite a high list of requirements to fill the Lupos shoes. I wanted something still cheap to run, as quicker or quicker, superb handling but still with character as I think that's the Lupos biggest appeal. I'm waiting for a RenaultSport Twingo 133. It's a bit quicker, superb handling but more modern doesn't need to be as low as possible to look/hand well. I know most on here aren't into Renaults but they're what I've always had the Lupo broke the pattern but I do love a RenaultSport. :)

The Twingo GT is a 1.2 turbo engine with 100bhp so similar to the Lupo Sport I guess.

The RenaultSport one is a 1.6 16v n/a engine. I've got a couple of Twingos in Forza 3 but they showed as 1.6 n/a on there, although somehow you can get the AWD or RWD with other engines in haha.

Ahh cool.

I saw a Sport Twingo the other week, wheels were far too big for the car though, i'd suggest 15's lol. Looked like 17's on it!

I think you'd probably struggle to fit 15s over the brake calipers, the non-Cup version has 16" rims, the Cup chassis gives you 195/45/17s on the car. To be honest though, if you put 15s on, you'd have to slam it on the ground. Something I'm trying to avoid, as much as it looks cool it's hard work not being able to drive certain places because of it.

Cool, should be a nice fun replacement :)

That's exactly what I'm after, something that's as fun to drive as my Lupo. I think the Twingo ticks all the right boxes in that sense.

The Twingo GT is a 1.2 turbo engine with 100bhp so similar to the Lupo Sport I guess.

Gt34r anyone?? Now that would be worth the laaaaaaaaaaaaag!!

All the best mate, hope it lives up to the loop! If not in build quality then in the fun factor!

Gt34r anyone?? Now that would be worth the laaaaaaaaaaaaag!!

All the best mate, hope it lives up to the loop! If not in build quality then in the fun factor!

They feel adequately put together, certainly not up to the solidness of how the Lupos feel. Then again, there aren't many cars as small as a Lupo that feel as substantially put together.

Fun wise, I think it'll be up there though. Also, they're fairly rare cars as well so hopefully won't be driving past them every day. :)

My Uncle has a twingo sport :)

How does he rate it?

He likes it - but then he likes small sporty hatchbacks generally. He changes his cars pretty much every 3 years (buys new & sells when first MOT is due) and has had an ibiza, a fiesta zetec s, a suzuki alto & a clio 197 cup in the last few years (thats what I can remember off the top of my head!) as well as the twingo. He's had the twingo about 18 months now as he bought it just before my Mum bought her polo, but he does less miles nowdays than he used to do which means he doesn't get to spend as much time in the twingo as he did the other cars though. (Plus, he broke his leg about this time last year so it barely moved for about 6 months while he was in plaster/having operations/going to physio)

His other car is a lotus cortina... :wub:

Ha funnily enough my mates just bought the 1.2 turbo. Just had a play with him against my sport and it was only about 4-5 car lengths behind. Not bad for a 1.2. Very cool little cars :)

I see you're car has some mods done to it so the Twingo did well, assuming it was the GT 1.2 turbo 100bhp one. Although with a re-map they'll see 120bhp fairly easily so could end up closer than you think. The Twingo 133 and Lupo Sport weight almost the same funnily enough.

RS Twingo and the 500 Abarth are the cars I most looked forward to driving in Forza 3 before release ha, and its the 2 cars I really would love after a Lupo! Do it, RS Twingo it up.

Haha the same went for me as well. I definitely think both the Twingo RS and the 500 Abarth are cars to consider to replace a Lupo if you want something newer, a bit quicker but still small with plenty character. The character of a car is a major part of a cars appeal for me, I love my Megane because so many people don't like the way it looks, plus it surprises them. The Lupo is a quirky, fun little car especially a tuned one that leaves bigger cars behind, same goes for a fast Twingo. :D

The 500 abarth would be my choice simply because of their tunability. They can see 240bhp quite easily.

Yeah any turbo charged lump can see massive gains, then again I've still got my Megane 225 so if I'm after big power it wouldn't take much to get 270bhp+ from it.

Thing is, like my Lupo a light nippy car can be used to it's full potential every day. Even driving a 225bhp hatch day to day would be tiring where you'd always be holding it back.

Shame to see it go and the Twingo is nice..........in a similar position in terms of finding its time to move on to something new.

It's tricky as it depends which way you want to go with the replacement. Do go for something faster and bigger or do you find something that ticks all the boxes that the Lupo does. I went for the second choice purely because I have a faster car but want a great day to day car that offers plenty of smiles.

Luckily the model I've gone for should be as exclusive as driving a Lupo as they're only bringing 200 of them into the country! ;)

I really like the RS Twingo. Seems very much like a "modern" Lupo, maybe with more emphasis on driver involvement rather than luxuries, which is a good or a bad thing, depending on your viewpoint ;)

Post pics! (When you get it, obviously)

Is the egg box interior any betterthese days on the Twingo? I saw one in France when they came out and it was poopoo. Not a patch on the Mk1.

I concur though, the Twingo would be my Lupo alternative.

I really like the RS Twingo. Seems very much like a "modern" Lupo, maybe with more emphasis on driver involvement rather than luxuries, which is a good or a bad thing, depending on your viewpoint ;)

Post pics! (When you get it, obviously)

That's exactly why I liked the RS Twingo, has a lot of the nice qualities that the Lupo has. Luxury wise the RenaultSport model isn't too bad. You get auto headlights & wipers, electric mirrors, air con and all the usual stuff.

I've gone for the Gordini though so you get full leather, climate control, cruise control and a few other touches.

Is the egg box interior any betterthese days on the Twingo? I saw one in France when they came out and it was poopoo. Not a patch on the Mk1.

I concur though, the Twingo would be my Lupo alternative.

Funnily the interior is alright but certainly nothing to shout about. The interior is very plastic but feels well enough put together. It'll do the job but doesn't feel as sturdy as the Lupo that's for sure. Even in the RenaultSport model you'd want to add a couple of features though like climate control or the cool pack which gives you the nice glass roof. Otherwise apart from the sporty seats and metal pedals, not much gives away that you're in the RenaultSport. Well except when you're driving it haha.

As it happens I'm still waiting for my Twingo Gordini to arrive at the dealership! :( Here's the frustrating thing though. When I went to test drive one, I went with my girlfriend who completely fell in the love with it. She ended up testing one and ended up ordering one at the same time. Annoyingly, she's already got hers and I've got to wait until August.

Here's a few pics for you though. Exterior wise she went for Glacier white with the Cup chassis, black & white pack and black Cup alloys.

Twingo1.jpg

Twingo3.jpg

TwingoWheel1.jpg

The OE stereo looked like it came from the Arc, so I swapped it out for the Pioneer unit I had in my Lupo.

TwingoStereo.jpg

Pioneer3.jpg

She also went for the 'Cool pack' which gives the panoramic sunroof and climate control.

Roof2.jpg

Roof1.jpg

Small boot like the Lupo

BootSmall.jpg

But you can slide the seats forward as the rears are individual too so you get more boot.

BootBig.jpg

Cool speedo.

RevCount.jpg]

Dashboard.jpg

Orange detailed interior.

RearSeat.jpg

And the 131bhp 1.6 16v engine.

EngineBay1.jpg

Edited by Alex_225

One thing i hate about French cars, stuck in the 90's with their interiors.

Looks amazing on the outside though.

The interior isn't the greatest but it looks good enough, has some neat little touches. Silly thing is that the interior feels more old skool than my Megane but I guess the Megane was a far more expensive car by comparison.

The thing is though, once you get sat behind the wheel, which is actually a nicely sized, chunky leather stitched jobbie you forget about the rest. The seats are nice and hugging and the feel overall is great. All you see is out of the windscreen and the rev count, that's all you need really!!

As said the outside looks great, all the missus choices as well so good taste on her part haha.