Death of car design, luxury, branding and Industry.

DarkStryder360

All because of this...

AstonMartinCygnet_01_01.jpg

http://www.netcarshow.com/aston_martin/2009-cygnet_concept/

Official shots of the concept Astons new car, which is infact, a Toyota IQ.

Fantastic.

I read an article about this car and the Ferrari (Fiat) 500 a month or two back in CAR mag, saying about its ruining the entire industry because of every company out for a quick buck, an expensive buck at that, this Aston is around £20k!

The fact you can get an Aston for £20 is pathetic. I hate it I wish they never release this plague to car design.

Apparently there only going to be available to aston owners, an everyday car to sit next to your weekend car.

If thats the case, its a great idea, something easy on petrol, with all the prestige and luxury of its bigger brothers.

Plus you can say not only can I afford an Aston, I can afford a stupidly prices IQ on top!

Its the same as the freakin budget Chevys, the stupid rebadged Daewoo Matiz, Chevrolet Matiz. I remember growing up and hearing Chevy and thinking 67' Stingray, now you cant help but think when someone says they have a Chevy its a Matiz.

Although having it for Aston owners only is a great idea mind.

I think it looks awesum.

But i have to agree it would kinda make aston martin look cheap.

Personally i dont think id ever be able to afford an aston anyway so im not really arsed if the wealthy people are annoyed about it.

although I'm not overly keen on IQ/Aston, I do like the thinking behind making a small (fiesta/mini/polo size) luxury car, think there would be a market for it too. I'd have a problem with it if the build quality and materials were to a poor standard.

They should have aimed to compete with the Audi A1.

Its the same as the freakin budget Chevys, the stupid rebadged Daewoo Matiz, Chevrolet Matiz. I remember growing up and hearing Chevy and thinking 67' Stingray, now you cant help but think when someone says they have a Chevy its a Matiz.

Although having it for Aston owners only is a great idea mind.

Erm.. Daewoo were taken over by Chevrolet. This is completely different...

Edited by BenLAST

IMO this is purely to reduce the fleet co2 emission figures for aston, therefore allowing them to continue to make the cars their well known for. If this is the case i'm all for it, although they should have started from scratch with their own chassis.

To be fair, you can get a 97hp 1.3 Toyota iQ and they are very well made (unlike the Aygo). Trouble is, the automatic version is £13000, so £20000 for a degree of exclusivity and boasting isn't too bad.

I agree, from being in an Aygo, and already relatively exclusive iQ, it is very well made, i can only imagine that the 'Aston' will be an excellent city car for those who are used to the finer things.

Bet James can't wait to work on one!

How did I miss this.:lol:

Yes... Too true. I would love one myself TBH, don't care what it looks like, the badge does it for me.

This is pretty old news, If you buy a new Aston, you have the option to buy one of these.

• 4 weeks later...

if they keep it to aston drivers then you know your gonna see all the rich kids whos daddy drives an aston having these as a first car for sure lol

Yes, sadly they didn't make it when i was 17. :lol:

I can see it from both points of view. Aston can make more money and then make there 'proper' cars better with the extra coin they have. But at the same time its a prestigious badge and it would be nice to see them make only high end stuff. Like Porsche now with those idiotic Cayennes, they really do let the side down. So does that hideous 4 seater thing they've got going on.

Edited by heartagram

Evo did a piece on it last month when the 'in the flesh' car was revealed. Late 2010 was speculated for orders and it might be opened up to new buyers without £100k+ to spend on a grown up car.

Edited by IDGM

• 2 weeks later...

ref the first post: It's a photoshop that someone made, then made up a suitable story to match.

Sadly not mate, I've read a few sources explaining about this car. Basically it's a day to day Aston that is only available to Aston drivers and based on the Toyota IQ!!

I guess since they are limiting it to just Aston drivers then it's not so bad. Otherwise, talk about watering down the image of the Aston brand.

At least this could be considered an accessory to your Aston parked up in the garage during the week.