Lightweight Wheels

My_Names_Buck

Hello I was just after some advice guys n gals, Im after some lightwieght race wheels and was just wondering if anyone could recommend any to me really with obviously the lighter the better! :) I want them in 15 x 8 fitment, also what sort of offsets do I need to be looking at for them as im useless with offsets, lol!

im thinking of 205/50/15 toyo r888's for the tyres what will these be like?

are you wanting bigger wheels than standard lupo gti ?

they are 15s with 45 profile tyres

your speedo will under-read aswell :)

don't know of any 15x8 I'm afraid, lots of 15x7 though!

only ever heard good things about any toyo's, very sticky = amazing grip

usually very good in wet weather too

are you wanting bigger wheels than standard lupo gti ?

they are 15s with 45 profile tyres

your speedo will under-read aswell :)

don't know of any 15x8 I'm afraid, lots of 15x7 though!

only ever heard good things about any toyo's, very sticky = amazing grip

usually very good in wet weather too

mmm i was after 15's not 16's because of my clearance wit my arches as it only started as a sport not gti, they will be pulled nd rolled but I do definitely need 8inch minimum width to get my power down!

anyone else got any views on any lightweights that would do me well?

sam.

Advans are no good in the wet though.... if i was trackin mine 888's would be what id run

LOL! have you tried R888's in the wet ??

They are worse than Nankang ditchfinders!

Superleggras are probably your best shout unless you want to go down the magnesium 3 piece split route.

I've heard loads of bad things about R888s. In the wet they are truely terrible and on a track they will wear out really really quickly without giving a huge advantage over a decent set of road tyres. I've not used them myself but from quite a few people I've heard the same things that they are more of a novelty than anything else.

If it were purely a track car, what about steelies? 106 Rallye style

Nail on the head.

Steels will be the best option for lightweight wheels, but they will sacrifice some braking performance due to the lower heat sink properties and less open spoke design. so ducting to the brakes will be a good idea.

... obviously the lighter the better! :)

yes, BUT; the wheels should be stiff enough since softer wheels will have very negative effects on the handling. this does actually make a real difference as the different designs do actually have entirely different rigidnesses and there is a ton of crap on the market.

apparently, the best compromise between the price and the weight seems to be the ATS DTC Superlights, very commonly used wheel on track day - and race cars.

For track use ide most certainly be going for AO48's They are amasing in the wet are super sticky and last a full season. (although you will be spinning the hell out of them on the strip i guess) However for road use i would probs go for R888's, mostly because they are considerably cheaper then the Yoko's.

Thanks for all your replies guys its definitely given me some insight in wat direction to go, I do think Im steering towards the oz superleggeras for my track and sprint wheel chioce there does seem to be some round quite cheap second hand to! yea thats the problem wit steels I do need as much venting as possible really and think I would rather go for the more open wheel design pn that factor. as for the tyres Im in a tricky situation now as I had heard quite a few gd things bout the r888's :s lol! is there gonna be much difference between them and the AO84's as regard to traction for sprinting??

Thanks everone for your help and any more wheels suggestions and tyre help more than welcome :)

Sam.

i went to the Nurburgring, earlier in the year and to be honest id say 70% of the cars there had 888's on.

thats says something about there quality and performance on the track, i didnt take my car but the guys i was with had mostly jap cars a couple of jdm dc2's a 400bhp evo 6 they were running them and swear by them.

the only people running advans were the gt3 rs boys and a few r35's

i went to the Nurburgring, earlier in the year and to be honest id say 70% of the cars there had 888's on.

thats says something about there quality and performance on the track, i didnt take my car but the guys i was with had mostly jap cars a couple of jdm dc2's a 400bhp evo 6 they were running them and swear by them.

the only people running advans were the gt3 rs boys and a few r35's

Yea those are more the kinda stories I've been hearing bout them more than negative ones but I suppose people are going to have opinions on both tyres, I have been hearing more good than bad for the 888's thou :s

I used to run R888's on my old supercharged yaris tsport.

I only have good words for them. Good at cold temps and amazing when you get some heat in them!!

Theyre cheaper than other tyres of similar type and surprisingly good in the wet, maybe not as good as a specific rain tyre but easily as good in the wet as your average run of the mill kind of tyre. I even drove on them in the snow.

For what they cost for a 15" i would definetly recommend them, il certainly be running them when i get another loop

I use a version of the team dynamics prorace 1.2. I had a one off set made in mag, they are very light so were great when the loop only had its 1 litre engine fitted.

To be brutally honest, you arent going to notice much if any difference between light or standard alloy wheels on a trackday using a lupo or similar. Without going down the route of ditching the bushes and fitting bearings and rose joints then its not going to do anything.

Get 2 sets of good open spoked wheels and spend the rest of the cash on a set of R888 for dry use and rainsport 2 for the rain or damp days.

• Like 1

I use a version of the team dynamics prorace 1.2. I had a one off set made in mag, they are very light so were great when the loop only had its 1 litre engine fitted.

To be brutally honest, you arent going to notice much if any difference between light or standard alloy wheels on a trackday using a lupo or similar. Without going down the route of ditching the bushes and fitting bearings and rose joints then its not going to do anything.

Get 2 sets of good open spoked wheels and spend the rest of the cash on a set of R888 for dry use and rainsport 2 for the rain or damp days.

Somebody who knows about cars!

Somebody who knows about cars!

ah ha! I can agree with that! :o

will I get away with puttin 225's onto a 7inch wheel, i need more width with my tyres but am strugglin to find many 8 inch wide lightweight wheels in 15x8 :( so thinkin Im gonna have to go for 15x7 instead but defo need a 225 width tyre.

If that makes sense :s lol!

Sam.