Money problems

Naif

Basically, I'm selling my mini asap, because I can't afford to run it anymore. Insurance is due in a few months which will be way over £1500, which I also can't afford.

Once I sell it, I should have around 3-3.5k to spend on a car and insurance all in. Looking to spend as little as possible on insurance, so I checked Parkers for insurance groups and the only thing I'd like/be able to afford (overusing this word) is a 1.0 Corsa C. Not a bad little car, but they're slow as sh*t.

I really wanted a 1.4 Loop Sport, but the mini's had around £700 spent on it to get it sound and through the MOT, which means my funds have taken a serious hit.

Also looked at 1l Loops, but insurance seems to be an extra £300 more. After a year's (when it's up for renewal) insurance the Corsa is still over £1200, so this is cost-cutting to the max. But I can't bring myself to get a car where the 0-60 is over 17 seconds standard, and has no features at all. My mini is probably as basic as they come, but if I'm going up to a larger/more modern car, I want features like electric windows and remote central locking. Probably just being snobby, but I love car's, always have, and I pride myself on what I'm seen in to some level.

So, any suggestions on other cars? Or maybe bring me back to Earth and make me stop being such a picky git.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there another car in the family you can get your own insurance on? That way you wouldn't have to buy a car, but would get your own NCB built up without risking someone else's in the event of a fault incident.

-Do you have a job??? if so get a deisel sport (cheap insurance and can be re-mapped to be easily as quick as a petrol sport at a later date) and pay as big a deposit on your insurance as possible and pay the rest monthly???

-or dare i say it a ka is group 2 insurance and not as slow as the corsa but still a bit gay

-or a yaris 1.0 can be purchased for under a grand these days has 68bhp and toyota reliability to save you anymore financial ruin

-or if you don't have a job and have plenty of time on your hands then look at spares or repair cars to buy at a knockdown price fix and have more money then you would left over for insurance although this is a bit of a risk that you might get a lemon but i've always done alright out of it in the past

you could be the pimp daddy in a rover for 250 plus a day or 2 of your time???

EBAY

maybe not the rover lol but you can always gaurantee if you have a few weeks to wait around something good will come up

Is there another car in the family you can get your own insurance on? That way you wouldn't have to buy a car, but would get your own NCB built up without risking someone else's in the event of a fault incident.

If a car is already insured by someone else you cannot buy an insurance policy on it. Car's can only have one insurance policy each. The only way you could do that is getting insured on their insurance in which case wouldn't build NCD.

I work as much as possible around college during the year (around 20-25 hours a week) which most of goes on petrol and maintenance.

Most Lupo TDi's are pretty expensive yes? Hold their value well etc.

I could never bring myself to drive a KA (snobby again I guess?) however, the Rover 200 idea, that could be on to something. Anyone ever seen a dub'd 200? :lol:

My dad has a company car (59 Renault Laguna), mom has a mk2.5 MX-5 (1.8... no insurance for me) and my sister's never around in her Fiesta.

As treblet said about another job, I've been looking for around 3 weeks for somewhere to work over the summer break, but nobody is hiring, and my current job is only evening work.

Also, anything I get, I'm looking for 1.4 or less, to keep insurance costs to a minimum!

If a car is already insured by someone else you cannot buy an insurance policy on it. Car's can only have one insurance policy each. The only way you could do that is getting insured on their insurance in which case wouldn't build NCD.

One person cannot have two separate policies on the same car, that's double indemnity I think which is a no no.

I'm sure I can have my own policy to drive your car without effecting your own policy though.

Edited by IDGM

Sure, you wouldn't drive a Ka, but don't mind the thought of a Rover 200 :wacko:

Thanks for that. I'd never have a KA as

A) They look sh*te

B ) The 1.3 Ford engines are sh*te

C) Girls car?

However, a 200 is

A) Pretty pokey

B ) Pretty roomy

C) An old persons car

I'm only looking for a car that'll be cheap to run, buy, and won't make me look like a cock. Rover 200's are basically MG ZR's, with lower insurance.

I've been in KA's, hate the look and feel of them inside, Rover's aren't amazing, but it's still better than a KA. Everyone bangs on about the "stylish" dashboard in KA's... Just no.

Edited by Naif

Rover 200's are basically MG ZR's, with lower insurance.

That's one way to look at it. :lol:

The other is that MG ZR's are Rovers.

I'm not sure which I'd rather have though. I hate Rovers, but don't know if I could bear to drive a Ka every day. They are the girliest cars in the world.

Edited by Philplop

That's one way to look at it. :lol:

The other is that MG ZR's are Rovers.

I'm not sure which I'd rather have though. I hate Rovers, but don't know if I could bear to drive a Ka every day. They are the girliest cars in the world.

MG ZRs ARE Rover 200s with an MG badge on.

I'd include Kia Picanto, Chevrolet Matiz, Seat Arosa and VW Lupo and the Mini in the girls car list amongst others.

The Mk1 Ka is exactly what it was meant to be, a cheap city car that was fun to drive. Sure, the Endura and later Duratec engines aren't the best, but the Duratec offers 70hp and don't really suffer any serious problems. A well specced Ka can be had for not much money. Whack on some lowering springs, RallyKa arches and some 16s and it'll be like driving the Mini again. After all, Naif has little money and wants a cheap runaround. I'd say a Ka was an ideal candidate.

What about a Mk1 Arosa 1.4 8v if you're feeling snobby?

MG ZRs ARE Rover 200s with an MG badge on.

I'd include Kia Picanto, Chevrolet Matiz, Seat Arosa and VW Lupo and the Mini in the girls car list amongst others.

The Mk1 Ka is exactly what it was meant to be, a cheap city car that was fun to drive. Sure, the Endura and later Duratec engines aren't the best, but the Duratec offers 70hp and don't really suffer any serious problems. A well specced Ka can be had for not much money. Whack on some lowering springs, RallyKa arches and some 16s and it'll be like driving the Mini again. After all, Naif has little money and wants a cheap runaround. I'd say a Ka was an ideal candidate.

What about a Mk1 Arosa 1.4 8v if you're feeling snobby?

I thought a Mini was the manliest car known to... man :o . I know the Ka's are a good car and all, but as Phil said, I couldn't bring myself to drive one every day.

I really don't like the look of the mk1's, and most mk2's are seriously under-equiped (snobby again).

I think a 1.0 Loop/Arosa is group 3 insurance yes? Seems to come out around £1400, which, somehow, is the same as a Rover 214si, which is group 6? I'd rather sacrifice the looks for a bit more performance, and as said above, it's an MG ZR without a bodykit/alloys, or an MG ZR is a Rover 200 with a bodykit/alloys.

I'm so fickle when I'm deciding lately, I'll probably come back to wanting a 1.0 loop, coilies, alloys and be happy with it.

I really really really really really really didn't like the Ka and didn't want to like them . then i drove one and i enjoyed it lots. I hate to say

that out the box they have so much better handling than a Lupo, sure they look kind of crap but that could be fixed and i would much rather

drive a Ka any day of the week than a corsa heck id rather drive a micra, i could even find myself learning to love a Ka, it in the same sort of way a parent loves an ugly child they just thank God it can read well and has not got ginger hair.

I use to drive an off white metro with brown seats far from everyone laughing at it it became well loved by all my mates basically because i

gave it a good name and created a personality for it. When your young you can get away with driving any car as long as you create a personality for it

and may be do a few defining mods. Crap cars are heaps of fun you can only be snobby when you have the money to be untill then enjoy what you have got and can afford to get.

I really cannot understand why anyone would rather have a rover than a ford i am not the biggest ford fan by any stretch but a rover? You should have

learnt form the mini that rover went under for a reason.

Basically, I'm selling my mini asap, because I can't afford to run it anymore. Insurance is due in a few months which will be way over £1500, which I also can't afford.

Once I sell it, I should have around 3-3.5k to spend on a car and insurance all in. Looking to spend as little as possible on insurance, so I checked Parkers for insurance groups and the only thing I'd like/be able to afford (overusing this word) is a 1.0 Corsa C. Not a bad little car, but they're slow as sh*t.

I really wanted a 1.4 Loop Sport, but the mini's had around £700 spent on it to get it sound and through the MOT, which means my funds have taken a serious hit.

Also looked at 1l Loops, but insurance seems to be an extra £300 more. After a year's (when it's up for renewal) insurance the Corsa is still over £1200, so this is cost-cutting to the max. But I can't bring myself to get a car where the 0-60 is over 17 seconds standard, and has no features at all. My mini is probably as basic as they come, but if I'm going up to a larger/more modern car, I want features like electric windows and remote central locking. Probably just being snobby, but I love car's, always have, and I pride myself on what I'm seen in to some level.

So, any suggestions on other cars? Or maybe bring me back to Earth and make me stop being such a picky git.

just sold both my minis...1967 cooper and 2000 cooper sport....think you will regret it especially for the fun factor and speed....lets face it, even if you arent going that quick in one, you feel like you are :D the corsa will bore you stupid....i'd stick with the mini until you can afford a quicker, newer car if thats what you want...only reason I sold mine is that training to be driving instructor so need sensible modern, boring car. Lupo looks good fun but the mini has a lot going for it :)

i could even find myself learning to love a Ka, it in the same sort of way a parent loves an ugly child they just thank God it can read well and has not got ginger hair.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I really cannot understand why anyone would rather have a rover than a ford i am not the biggest ford fan by any stretch but a rover? You should have

learnt form the mini that rover went under for a reason.

Very true. However, I love to have a little bit of performance when I want it. I know that Ka's aren't the slowest, but I still could not ever bring myself to buying one. There's a few 214 Si 16v's (the 100 bhp version ;)) with like, 30-odd thousand miles on them, for like £600. The car will only probably be for a year or so til i save enough money and build up my no claims, but surely you couldn't go wrong with one like that?

I didn't just say you can't go wrong :/ haha

I have nothing against Ka's really. My sister has one and I'm on the lookout for one for my girlfriend.

Dying to whack some wide 13's and slam one. I might be able to drive it then without feeling so gay. :blush:

You can insure anything you have an insurable interest in, hence two people can insure the same car.

I've posted this Micra K11 up before, it looks just right to me

kanagawa05-064.jpg

Cheap to buy, 4x100 wheels, reliable.

A set of Rota Flashbacks would keep costs down.

Just found these...

32577.jpg

And if you like plenty of negative camber!

32624.jpg

Edited by IDGM