Money problems

Naif

yeah, buy a cheap car.... save the money.....

you going to uni then? are you taking your car?

Yeah, staying at home though, going to the local one if all goes well, so all I'll be spending on is petrol and partying, hopefully.

Edited by Naif

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm selling a Mk3 Polo 1.0 Coupe. Tax runs out soon but it's MOT'd till February - I want 100 quid for it. Fits all the criteria, and has that VW badge, deck it on some cheapo wheels and you're sorted.

They are seriously cheap motoring, usually 100+ miles to a tenner, and *if* anything goes wrong, it's about 10p for the parts to fix it.

Close... the mk2 breadvan is the best :D I had the 1.0 Fox. It was an F reg. The car was 13 years old at the time when I had it. I was 17. I paid £200 for it and my insurance was £1300. It was the fastest thing in the world :D It had 4 gears. Damn it was fun. 30 in 1st, 60 in 2nd, 90 in 3rd and off the clock in 4th (only said 100). I gave it death everyday and it just kept wanting more. After 10k the headgasket went and I fixed it myself (mechanic). It cost me £35 to fix it :o After that it lasted another 15k of death before I got another car and then it went to the big scrapyard in the sky. :(

So drive a st1ter for a year or two. Have your bumps and scrapes which you WILL do. It's all part of learning. If you bump a £200 cars bumper you're not going to be too bothered. If you bump your £2000 cars bumper your going to want to fork out more money for it fixing.

Oh and i've not seen the Mitsubishi Colt posted up. That's what my mate had as a 1st car. It was a 1.6 but they do a 1.3. If you put your mum or dad down as a named driver sometimes this can reduce the price. It was lowered 40mm and he fitted some superleggeras to it.

yeah as putney said cheap and chearfull is often the best option on a limited budget i went through years of paying out all of my money on just insurance petrol and general fixing when i worked part time on 80squid a week i was paying out 2 weeks wages every month on insurance and that was only a seicento and then when you've got the money and the no claims get something quicker I've had as much fun in metro's and cinq's and even my little suzuki jeep then i've had in my gti

I totally agree with Crusoe and latter posts. Being a student does not allow for much in the way of spending on non essentials. I lived at home during my tertiary education and had a job too. I ran a Mini 1000 that I did up and tuned along the way, but it was over 3 years.

Don't worry about looking cool in the latest must have scene car. It's not bothered me in the last 22 years!

i have to agree with ian on this.

I was 18 and bought a Gti but as my dad as the main driver i was still payin £2200 a year on insurance! i then bought a polo gti and paid £1300. Its only now that i have a group 4 panda that im begining to see it was just a stupid thing to do.

tbh you could tell any teenager this and they wont listen they will want to go out and pay stupid prices on insurance.

Edited by 2001gti

saying that though i always went on the principal of if your being ripped off it may aswell be for something worth it it's only now my premiums have come down i've started to care nowadays i wont pay half what i payed to insure my loop when i first got it to insure an m3

Right mate... here is my advice....... I have spunked **** loads... and i mean **** loads on trying to get the fastest and coolest thing i could get my hands on. Its all been a waste of money.... a big waste of money... I have spent £1800 a year on insurance since I was 17.... I have also lost money on loans etc etc......

My best advice would be to get a sensible little car and then save up and buy something really fast you can **** about with on track.... you don't need any insurance or put it through an mot.... and you can get so much performance for really cheap.....

see below....

I will put my flame suit on here.... There is nothing cool about a 1.4 Lupo.. they are slow as ****... Below is cool..... and easily to save up for if you are willing to put the hours in... It will also improve your driving skills **** loads and also your knowledge of cars... Note this.... There is always something quicker and cooler on the road than the car your driving... But fun for the buck doesn't come much better than this and there is nothing stopping you getting one....

Clicky....

That's a good argument, but... :)

Track days are not cheap, and living where I live (for example), there aren't many tracks. I am going to start doing some later this year or next year, and when you add up the costs involved it's not cheap. Possibly up to 300 quid for one track day. Plus, if you aren't going to insure it, tax it, or MOT it, how does Mr 18yr old get it to a track? Buy a big car and trailer? Track day toys are toys for people with plenty of money, not a young lad who spunks his money on cars, girls and vodka.

When you're 17/18/19 your car is pretty much an extension of yourself and you spend a lot of time in it, so having something that looks tidy, goes well enough to not be embarassed by your mates, and looks nice enough to take out the odd girl is quite important.

Learning from my mistakes, my advice would be to buy a sensible car as your first car. Take a short term loan out (say 24 months) and keep the car for the length of that loan. After 2 years you'll have built up your NCB and gained experience, and paying off the loan will help your credit rating :lol:

not a young lad who spunks his money on cars, girls and vodka.

Do you know me? haha

On a serious note, I think I've found a Lupo local to me, but I really need to sell my car first. I should really update the advert now it's had about 7548975389754389 things done to it.

Looking back, I kind of wish I'd bought a ****ter for my first car, so I'd had more money to spend on my second car (the Lupo).

BUT. At the time, I wouldn't have wanted to be driving round in a ****ter. It was nice to have a comfy car with a decent heater and stereo. I would have said a bit of reliability too but I bought a Punto. :lol:

A Lupo's a great first car. Cheap enough, reliable, and pretty good looking. Deck it and you've got a canny fun car.

Looking back, I kind of wish I'd bought a ****ter for my first car, so I'd had more money to spend on my second car (the Lupo).

BUT. At the time, I wouldn't have wanted to be driving round in a ****ter. It was nice to have a comfy car with a decent heater and stereo. I would have said a bit of reliability too but I bought a Punto. :lol:

A Lupo's a great first car. Cheap enough, reliable, and pretty good looking. Deck it and you've got a canny fun car.

I nearly had a Lupo before I got the mini. It was black, 24k miles, 02 reg, £2.5k. Looking back now, I wish I'd have got that instead.

First thing I'll be doing is getting it decked, my dad works for Koni so that'll make it a lot cheaper!

Already looking on ebay at rims, but seriously can't make up my mind.

Also, happily, I've got my quote down to £100ish, give or take a few quid, on a 1.4s

Have you thought about an SDi?

Slow as hell, but cheap to run and buy. You could quite easily buy a Lupo and get it looking nice, sat low on tidy rims for less than 2k.

I have, but I'd get bored of it extremely quickly, same with a 1.0. I know the 1.4's aren't quick either, but if I can pick one up for a ~£100 more on insurance, and cost around the same, I'd rather have the one with a bit more performance.

The arguement's obviously with the MPG though... Decisions decisions

Arosa TDi's go for around 2.5k if you don't mind a few miles on them.

Less problems and 35 quid a year tax.

Thought about this too, but I'd prefer low miles to help with re-sale.

Jesus I'm so picky :|

How many miles would you be doing each year you owned it though? If you won't be doing many then you can buy a higher mileage one and by the time you come to sell it'll be about average.

Doesn't work if you'll be doing loads of miles though.

How many miles would you be doing each year you owned it though? If you won't be doing many then you can buy a higher mileage one and by the time you come to sell it'll be about average.

Doesn't work if you'll be doing loads of miles though.

In the last 4-5 months of having my license, I've done around 4-5k, so I'm guessing I'll do around 10-12k. Is that classed as average?

Yeah that's about average. I've had my Arosa for about 5 months and i've done 10k in it. Cost about £6 in fuel :D

In all seriousness, it works out that to do 10 miles it'll cost me £1. To the last tank I did 261 miles and squeezed £26 in. Oh and I can't wait for the £35 tax renewal time.

Go for the TDI. Looks the same as your not getting a sport. Has bigger brakes. With a map and exhaust you'll be able to upset the sport's and still get 50+mpg.

What is the price difference for you, for the insurance between the TDI and the 1.4?

What is the price difference for you, for the insurance between the TDI and the 1.4?

I think they're the same, both group 4? But the TDi's are so much more expensive to buy in the first place.