Rust on Roof

s2000king

I went to pulman vw in fulwell, Sunderland. Taking it down on tuesday to have it done, hopefully can get the proper gutter trims fitted not the matt ones the guy is trying to tell me I am getting, lol

Thanks for the reply - not sure whether it is worth trying our local dealer (Benfield Scotswood) first. I,ve not been impressed by their service dept in the past although the parts dept have usually been helpful.

Thanks for the reply - not sure whether it is worth trying our local dealer (Benfield Scotswood) first. I,ve not been impressed by their service dept in the past although the parts dept have usually been helpful.

It's worth an ask tbh, the worst they can say is no, and they will have to do it properly otherwise they know it will just have to get re done.

Edited by ministig

My roofs fine but my spoiler and my rear arch passenger side are developing bubbles in the paint, will this be covered too? 2002 GTI

rear arch perhaps, but not the spoiler as it is a bolt on part and not the shell.

I expect they will say that the arch is due to external damage and will try to cut their costs.

It's worth an ask tbh, the worst they can say is no, and they will have to do it properly otherwise they know it will just have to get re done.

Just been to Benfield and response was OK - warranty manager came out and looked at car then asked a few questions, then measured paint thickness and took some photos to send to VW. Told me I should hear from them in a few weeks so keeping fingers crossed. Will keep you posted on results!

Should be getting mine back this week, been in there for a week. Apparently there was more rust under the gutter trims than they thought so have needed to do both sides, bonus! and have had to order something from Germany to re galvanise it or something??

Anyone had any luck in Leamington Spa? I just got my Lupo yesterday and noticed a lot of bubbling and slight rust on the roof. What documents do I need to take?

The dealership makes no difference, just docs to say the car is yours, but doubt u will need them.

Edited by BEP51

My arch and spoiler are the worst, im not expecting them to be very helpful with the spoiler, apparently thats not covered but the wheel arch they best sort out, and since i was taking pics i saw a little bit of corrosion on the roof also, see pics for your case. Will update how i get on at Corkills VW Southport later on today.

Passenger arch

100_2092.jpg

Roof

100_2097.jpg

My cameras awful!

Got my car back yesterday! Woo!

They have done a really good job and have done lots more than I expected, painted the whole roof, and most of the rear quarters so no more little scratches! : D

I went to VW today, well yesterday now. They gave me a number for someone from their body shop to call in the week. They started asking me if my lupo has a full VW service history as if this would affect my claim. I said it does up until about 20,000 miles ago and now it's got 71 on the clock and is immaculate.

Has anyone been asked about full vw service history before. I'm determined to get this sorted as I don't think gutter checks is in the service charter.

Yellow's going to be a tough colour match :P

Didnt ask if I had full VW service history, but Ive heard of this before, they try to fog you off but if you have FVWSH they say they'll do it under good will, like they're doing you a massive favour by living up to their warenty. Which I suppose they are but its a sodding warenty hahaha

Didnt ask if I had full VW service history, but Ive heard of this before, they try to fog you off but if you have FVWSH they say they'll do it under good will, like they're doing you a massive favour by living up to their warenty. Which I suppose they are but its a sodding warenty hahaha

Completely agree! - considering im a vw obsessed enthusiast who has a lifelong plan to only own VW's, not a good start.

New idea to try first, after i respray my rear bumper this week, im going into vw tton (who are on my side about the roof) to ask them to submit a claim for a far smaller area of bubbling over the driver door (and not all my rust patches), in theory, if passed, a bodyshop would repair all the rust it finds at the same time. So thats my next step this friday.

New idea to try first, after i respray my rear bumper this week, im going into vw tton (who are on my side about the roof) to ask them to submit a claim for a far smaller area of bubbling over the driver door (and not all my rust patches), in theory, if passed, a bodyshop would repair all the rust it finds at the same time. So thats my next step this friday.

thats what happened with mine, the visible rust was very minimal, but apparantly ran along both gutter rails and around the front screen so they repainted the whole top half of my car pretty much including both quarter panels B)

I'm going to get my assesment done on Lemmy this friday at Beadles in sevenoaks. Said they would have to get the bodyshop managers to look and stooooff. Hopefully it'll get done. They sound like nice chaps so ope for the best. Mine is on the panel on the top of the door and the roof it's self. If they are paining the roof rails I'd expect them to blend and paint the panel next to it.

I think they'll kick mine out though because yellow is a bum hole to match

Just been to Beadles. The chap here didn't ask anything about my service history. He only wanted the VIN and the mileage.

He took a couple of photos of the rust. The chap did a paint depth check also. Mine came back as 181 and he went hmmmm normall they are between 75 and 115 and suggested VW wouldn't do something they hadn't painted originally. As you would expect really. He then checked all over and the rest of the car seemed to have a uniform about 180.

Should hear back next week sometime which would be lovely if they are able to do it.

just had mine looked at by Dundee Audi, the guy was a prick and was fishing for excuses not to do it, he was lie " it's had. roof rack on" I said no it hasn't? (to my knowledge it hasn't) he said "it has so won't be covered" i then told him it's not consistant with a roof rack otherwise it wouldn't be so far apart, so he's going to put a report in, guy was a tosser tbh.

if one place refuses can you try elsewhere?

Quick update.

Bit of bad new really although I am going to get this sorted if I have to pull teeth.

Had a call from the guy at Beadles Sevenoaks today, really nice chap and a pleasure to deal with. VW said no to my roof!!!!!! I asked if they have supplied a reason as to why to which he said all they had said was no.......that's it. That miffed me. I understand the paint depths were a little over what it would normall be but I would like an explaination. Thanking the guy a beadles for his work he gave me the number for customer services/relations. He must have been confused as to the rejection also.

Gave them a call and got through straight away which was nice and they seemed to be open after 5 when I got home. Spoke to a helpful lady. Wasn't able to find my lupo for love nor money. Personal plate, original plate, vin number, absolutely nothing and apparently their older vehicle system was down.

She set up a case for me saying that it would be assigned a case manager who would look into this and get back to me. Essentially I spent 34 minutes on the phone getting this set up. She asked if I had bought my car from a vw dealer in November. Well hard to believe but when on earth did you last see an 11 year old Lupo for sale on a VW forecourt. She asked if VW had supplied a quote for the work. I said no I had no intention of paying for the work, something which seemed to confuse her. Then the inevitable service history question came, I admitted it didn't have a full VW history as I wouldn't want to get caught out being deceiving later on in the process if this has to go to CSR and they really looked into it. No problem though I specifically asked her to make notes that I don't care how long it takes to get sorted I want it done, my car is in immaculate condition and I would like a reason for the rejection of my claim.

At one point she commented on the paint dept of the vehicle obviously not knowing too much she said, "it could have had a respray, how could you tell if it had been sprayed originally and then hadn't had a respray 3 years later or something." I had to start a rant about how I work with cars all day and know my stuff about paint atomisered and the difference between that and a spray gun not in a factory environment. TOOL

I am going to be hearing back next week on about Tuesday so I'll keep update. VW know I am documenting it on here also but I got given standard "we advise against forums waffle" :) Long rant but hopefully it will prove valueable to someone in the future.

I'm not reading this though as I'm bored of the voice in my head saying this :)

Forgot to add, does anyone have the warrenty policy as I would like to have a read and highlight the downfalls if they want to argue.

Also the lupo service charter. I want to know if it had full VW service history would they have specifically been periodically checking the gutter on the roof.

I sound like a winey bum hole but I just lurve my loop :)

Body protection warranty

All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration (6 years for the Sharan models).

The only preconditions are:

The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.

The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.

A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.

All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.

your in exactly the same situation as me, im just deciding if/when to go to watchdog, or go to a small claims court as nobody who doesnt work for vw would say no to it.

I went in to Spirit Volkswagen in Leamington Spa three weeks ago. She took photos of my car, measured the paint depth and told me she'd get back to me within two weeks. Three weeks and one day later I call the garage. The report has 'just' came in and has been rejected. She said it's under paint warranty (three years) not body protection warranty.

She is, however, going to call her colleague from Banbury VW to have a look at the photos.

I have bubbling along the sides of the roof and one area has broken out showing rust. Somebody give me some ammunition.