My Polo G40 > M45 > ?

LiamD

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right, had a little bit of a road trip today to pick up the body panels I bought from a guy in Edinburgh. Yes, that's a 4 hour journey from me... for some body panels :)

Anyway, we started at 9am, to tow the G40 over to my mates workshop. Due to a very suspicious puddle of oil we decided against starting the car up, and instead, we nipped off to Motorworld to pick up a towing bar to tow it the 40 miles from my home to Darlington.

DSC_0001-10.jpg

DSC_0003-14.jpg

DSC_0004-15.jpg

DSC_0005-11.jpg

My Dad, being a HGV driver, isn't too sympathetic with towing, we built up a decent speed behind his van.

DSC_0006-10.jpg

DSC_0007-8.jpg

DSC_0008-12.jpg

Now, remember I said he wasn't too sympathetic with the towing. Leaving the Preston Farm Audi garage, the towing bar bent... and with very rusty brakes it was quite an interesting moment. With a hammer, we bent it back into place and got back on our way... until, we got to Croft racing circuit, and it unhooked AGAIN. With more hammer work we got it there and got it to Andy & Andy's workshop, which will be it's new home for a while.

My mate texted me this - note the bucket placement :(

DSC00036.gif

Photo-0411.jpg

The plan for when it's there is the following -

*Fit the intercooler, not fussed how, function over fashion here.

*Fit my harnesses properly so they are safe - Andy Leigh is a scrutineer at York Raceway, so I thought this was best left to someone who knows.

*Remove and see whats wrong with my G-Lader

*IF (big if) the charger is fine, make the car work... lol.

I would liked to have taken more pics in the unit, but some well known cars are in there, and to keep them under wraps I thought it was best not to take pics. :)

So, it's now lunchtime, and we were heading a long way North to South Queensferry, in Edinburgh, to pick up a bonnet, two wings and a slam panel for the Polo. This is a good 4 hour long journey, just to get there... oh, and we didn't even have a sat nav...

Anyone who's ever gone to Scotland via the A1 will recognise these two sites -

DSC_0011-9.jpg

DSC_0013-8.jpg

Eventually though...

DSC_0016-5.jpg

DSC_0018-6.jpg

DSC_0019-5.jpg

DSC_0020-6.jpg

Forth road bridge in the distance

DSC_0023-5.jpg

The journey home... more speed cameras...

DSC_0027-7.jpg

Got bored, 30 second exposure + bumpy road =

DSC_0033-8.jpg

Home sweet home and this I what I got -

DSC_0036-6.jpg

DSC_0037-2.jpg

Cheeky bonus the wings had the repeators smoothed out, there's a little bit of rust, but a LOT less than my original ones

Slam panel

DSC_0038-5.jpg

Bonnet, still wrapped up so I don't damage it!! Haha

DSC_0039-5.jpg

Anyway, that was my little day out.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone who's ever gone to Scotland via the A1 will recognise these two sites -

DSC_0011-9.jpg

Looks like the other way to go in from M6! Stuck behind a wagon/tractor for miles without been able to over take

An eaton charger?

;)

roadtrips FTW! :P did you know the side repeaters were smoothed before you went to pick it up? or was it a nice surprise?

No!

I also didn't know they were the wrong colour, but I had gone all the way to Edinburgh to get them so i could hardly not get them after all that :lol:

Oh yes roadtrips FTW! No idea where we are going though! haha.

Well did some shiz today.

Had a little road trip down to AW Tracksport in Horncastle, which is the cars new home for a while. First stop was the petrol station, as it was running on fumes, now anyone who's ever owned a Mk3 Polo (and being quite tall) will tell you that you get back ache from filling up with petrol, well, I have a solution...

DSC_0004-19.jpg

DSC_0005-14.jpg

DSC_0006-12.jpg

Take it in on a trailor, no back ache, and lots of funny looks!

Then we got onto the A19 and... BOSH

DSC_0007-10.jpg

Yeah, so basically, the car is with AW Tracksport, he's really trying to do it for GTi Spring Fest but time is really tight, he has lots of other cars to do as well. I didn't take any pics there because I got a little excited and didn't really want to :lol:

Got a nice rolling shot of a Mk6 Golf on the way home...

DSC_0010-11.jpg

I'll update this in two weeks time...

Oh yeah, bought a nice clean set of P-Slots and centre caps, new tyres too... 70 quid :)

DSC_0003-17.jpg

Yep that was the crash, he went past us 10 mins before hand, driving like a bell end, guess that's a bit of karma

Can i cadge a lift if Eugene isn't done? I'm scared my other Polo won't get as far as Santa Pod!