My Polo G40 > M45 > ?

LiamD

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A cage or space-frame front is "stage 2" next xmas.

Not sure what spec Eaton charger it is. I'm thinking it may be an earlier one... I have to wait till the guy's in the unit have finished Gareth's red Vento R32 (the one on ITBs) before they can do mine.

I'm thinking about a Raceland manifold but not too sure on the quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Lookie what the postman brought me ;)

Photo-0384.jpg

Do I paint it black or leave it polished?

Just need a safe map on a chip and we can crack on bolting the charger up. Also need some other little bits but they'll come in due course. Deadline is April 2009 :huh:

Haha... yeah it's ok till you get to silly speeds, from about 20-100mph it's quick enough to leave some expensive cars behind.

Wheelspin isn't *too* bad. As long as you keep it in a straight line it's fine, if you come off a roundabout in 2nd gear and boot it, it will spin up easily. Just takes a bit of throttle control, plant the throttle to floor and you won't go anywhere, be quite smooth and it's great, only problem is when you get carried away it's hard to be smooth!

• 3 weeks later...

Just a boring picture-free update. Unless you really wanna see some injectors? :huh:

I acquired a G60 fuel rail, regulator and importantly, "green top" injectors. I got this all FOC from Matt Pet of Dubforce/Dub Pres fame, many thanks to him!

Just waiting for some sheddy R32 Vento on ITB's to sod off out my mates workshop so he can fit me in :lol:;)

Triple post FTL

Thought I'd take some piccies of the insides of Eugene my G40 :)

Cloth Corrado seats, with Sparco harnesses (which need fitting properly). They are such nice seats and the driving position is ace.

DSC_0002-15.jpg

Swoosh gauges, which light up white when the lights are on. Plus, a nice little rare mod if you can spot it :)

DSC_0003-13.jpg

DSC_0004-14.jpg

My G60 fuel rail, injectors and regulator.

DSC_0008-11.jpg

The rust is eating into his bonnet bless him. Got a replacement bonnet lined up though :)

DSC_0006-9.jpg

Here's my shed of a daily driver, a few hundred quids worth a Mk3 TDi. The G would be my daily if it worked though!

DSC_0005-10.jpg

The insdie of the G is possibly the best conditioned car ive seen you have :lol: And you know my views on harnesses and Rado seats ;)

The daily derv burner isnt as bad as you make out at all. Plus the numberplate almost says happy :P

You got one yet? :lol:

To me, it's the noise, and the fact a car that small shouldn't go that fast. They just make you laugh and smile when you drive it. They have more character than anything I've ever been in.

When my mate Steve drove mine home after I bought it, he said it was the most fun car he had ever driven. I just told him that if anything fast wanted to play he could go for it... lo and behold, a BMW 530DSE did want to play, and got his arse handed to him. When we got off the A19 we were in tears laughing! Bear in mind he drives a Corrado with 20vT power and has had many fast Mk2 Golfs, I think that's quite a compliment :)

I love Mk3 Polos now though... I'm going to try and get a GT as a daily to replace the Mk3 Golf TDi :)

Nah I haven't yet.. :( I need to sell my lupo for my G fund :) I've found one I wanna buy but im seriously hoping im not left feeling let down when I drive it.

I fell in love with them a couple of years ago when I saw one at VW Festival, they look so mean and unless you have a clue about cars you'd think it was slow!! I just thought it would be one of them cars I'd always want but due to limited numbers and insurance that I wouldn't own one!

Insurance isn't bad on them.

I think I would've been let down driving a standard one, but do a few little bits (especially toothed belts/smaller pulleys) and you'll fall in love. With a few choice bits you'll leave most hot hatches in a straight line... I'm yet to play with the elusive "Type R" though :lol:

The only problem is what you buy after a G40. They have so much character, that finding something that matches the driving experience normally costs a lot of money. I'm looking at TVRs at the moment ffs! :lol:

Well the one Im looking at is pretty much factory apart from a break upgrade because aparently mk3's have naff breaks!! I've read and been told that the G-Lader is the weakest part of the engine? Its just had the charger serviced 10k ago but I'd still worry. I know someone selling an eaton cheap but I wouldnt know how to fit it haha and looking at all the bits you need it looks tricky!! Does it offer much power gain? I know they sound mint like haha

My G-Lader had done 10k miles and it blew up, but mine runs smaller pulleys, if it's on stock pulleys it'll go for lotsa miles yet!

I'd stick with the G-Lader tbh. You can get 150-170bhp from them, which is more than enough, unless you really want to piss people off.

The main benefit I see from the Eaton is lower maintenance and cheaper replacements. If I wanted silly power I'd go turbo :)

Its standard under the bonnet.

Well I was thinking with the money Ive got saved/sale of my lupo I would probably go down the induction/exhaust/remap and a nice toothed belt for sound but Im not sure what power that woud give and Im not sure what mods are good for it.

Forexample a Decat would be no good on a lupo would it. Ive been trying to find out as much as I can about them but there's not that much info out there!

I think I know all them articles by heart haha. Ill let you know what happens anyway, its a when not an if!!

When I do have one you'll have to journey down to dubpres in yours, can have a little g-smile meet haha.

Edited by electricpanda