My Polo G40 > M45 > ?

LiamD

I know G40s are quick, but surely they can't be quicker than a Supra.

Supras in a different league.

I'm guessing it wasn't a turbo one tbh, or he wasn't going for it. I know N/A ones are awfully slow, but like you said, turbo ones are another league.

Pulled up alongside me off a roundabout, he booted it, so I did, pulled a few car lengths out of it. :)

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

N/A Supra's are painfully slow, same goes for FTO's. Ive raced both and wooped there asses. Also raced a Prelude and left him for dust, and he was really trying.

I'm guessing it wasn't a turbo one tbh, or he wasn't going for it. I know N/A ones are awfully slow, but like you said, turbo ones are another league.

Pulled up alongside me off a roundabout, he booted it, so I did, pulled a few car lengths out of it. :)

It wasn't that horrible black wide body thing was it?

its sounding like a warp speed jobby

3.0 V6 supra outrun by a polo :confused:

he didnt have the loud pedal down then

dude i've seen 8.0 V8 Cadillacs get outrun by mopeds.. and people walking

A quick search on google suggests that 0-60 on a NA Supra is about 8 seconds.

I'd imagine a 160bhp mk3 Polo isn't slow...

Sounds cool Liam. Why the change though? After all this time wanting a Rado...

power weight ratio granted but supras are bloomin' fast man!

No, not really. NA Supras will struggle to crack a 15 second quarter and even twin turbo ones will do low 14s standard.

Phil... I've always had a soft spot for G40s and the Corrado needed thousands spending on it. This came up at the right price, so why not eh? :)

Problems I've found so far are -

Traction, 2nd gear off roundabouts is useless. 1st gear starts are a waste of time

Brakes, might as well stick my feet out the door.

Could do with a bit more power.

We'll see what it does at York dragstrip in 2 weeks time :)

Could do with a bit more power

If you struggle with traction as much as you say then surely any more 'power' is pointless. Clearly the chassis is already overwhelmed or the car is set up terribly, with geometry, damping and weight distribution all wrong. My Lupo Gti had 167bhp and could put it down pretty much all the time unless I was agressive in first gear.

Spend some money and time getting the weight distribution, spring rates and damping rates and maybe the geometry set up well and make full use of the power you already have...

Edited to add

...and improving the handling will make you have lots more fun than spending lots of money getting more power from the engine. Better handling is also less likely to affect reliability than squeezing more from the engine.

Edited by LINCOLNSHIRESLUPOGTI

i have an eaton if anyone is after one

Yes, me. :)

If you struggle with traction as much as you say then surely any more 'power' is pointless. Clearly the chassis is already overwhelmed or the car is set up terribly, with geometry, damping and weight distribution all wrong. My Lupo Gti had 167bhp and could put it down pretty much all the time unless I was agressive in first gear.

Spend some money and time getting the weight distribution, spring rates and damping rates and maybe the geometry set up well and make full use of the power you already have...

Edited to add

...and improving the handling will make you have lots more fun than spending lots of money getting more power from the engine. Better handling is also less likely to affect reliability than squeezing more from the engine.

I think it might have something do with the fact that Mk3 Polos handle poorly! It'll never really be quick through the corners but that's not my thing, I prefer 1/4 mile racing. :)

If you're smooth through first gear it's fine, and as long as it's in a straight line in 2nd it's ok. I really need to practice launching it, but the only way I'll do that is with track time at York.

Short term, I want to make it reliable, better cooling and an Eaton charger, and also improve the brakes.

Long term will be to sort the suspension, maybe go for an LSD and try to crack 200bhp :)

Thanks for the advice. :)

• 1 month later...

Only if the right offer comes along. It would actually be a good time to sell it, 12 months ticket and freshly rebuilt charger!

I can guarantee the only thing more fun than this car is sex... in fact it's better than sex with some of the girls I've had. It's just a very temperamental thing, which is not good for a daily driver.