Mike M's diary (GTI gone but A4 is here)

Mike_M

Thought I would make a diary of my car as its long overdue laugh.gif

Bought September 2005 a 2.5 year old example from VW Caffyns Goring-by-sea after several months of looking for a mint example.

First mods started small like Beetle Sport alloy door pins

door_pin1.jpg
door_pin2.jpg

Changed the rear wiper to the new Polo/Golf version as it now matches the front aero wipers. It does not touch anything and clears the spoiler nicely

rear_wiper1.jpg
rear_wiper2.jpg
rear_wiper3.jpg

Swapped the GTI badge to the left, like other GTI in the VW range

front_badge.jpg

Took one of the cup holders out and installed a storage compartment instead. I put the cup holder front plate on to make it more discret

comp1.jpg
comp2.jpg
comp3.jpg

Got hold of red door cards from a crashed GTI but sold them on soon after as need the cash sad.gif

door.JPG

Next a Beetle Sport alu gear knob. My mate is an engineer and laser cut the GTI badge in some alu and then used some black resin to show up the GTI sign, to replace the 6 speed plastic insert. Then it was mated to the original GTI leather boot.

gear2.jpg

Then there was the red GTI line round the grill.....version 1 Got the 6mm "Stripe" in red from Halfords and put it on the bumper:

grill1.jpg

Edited by Mike_M

Pic of the 25th Anni sill protectors:

sill.JPG

New tints with colour coded rear badge:

rear1.JPG

tints.jpg

Some brake caliper decals on the front and rear:

brakes.JPG

Bought some 7.5x16 ET35 Momo Arrows that I refurbed over a few months myself and married them to some TOYO T1R tyres 195/40/16's

momo2.JPG

momo1.JPG

Got some cambridge rear lights

LoopyLupo041.jpg

and after an hour with a soldering iron to remove the orange tint they looked like this

cambridge1.JPG

cambridge2.JPG

Decided to make a boot light as no one else had atempted it at the time and it works a treat

light7.JPG

light8.JPG

light10.JPG

Sourced a european set of GTI wing mirrors so that I could make a stubby set on mine and got them sprayed up

mirror1.JPG

mirror2.JPG

mirror3.JPG

Red grill trim version 2....top and bottom this time a first on the club

red1.JPG

Door de-locked on both sides as its a weak point on VW's

door1.JPG

CD Changer stealth.........shuffled a few things in the boot tidy to get this in

changer1.JPG

changer2.JPG

Finished the final cutting and then the polish of the MOMO wheels and here is the final result.

From this

momo1.jpg

to

gti1.JPG

gti2.JPG

gti3.JPG

Built my first volt meter in the car and tested the unit with a 9V battery......the blue is much stronger in the flesh

DSC00029.JPG

DSC00030.JPG

DSC00034.JPG

Been installing some LED moodlights in the car too, and here is one in the door handle cup

DSC00035.JPG

Found another gauge that I like even more and ordered it. It is a bright red LED version and with a small piece of dark window tint added to the red filter to dim it a bit, it looks great and matches the red theme while being half the size of the previous one I have.

So here it is:

1.JPG

Take two switch blanks and cut a couple of wedges out

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

and also fitted some alloy TT knee rests

11.JPG

12.JPG

I sold my polished MOMO arrows and gone down a painted route due to the effort it used to take to keep them looking good.

apr1.jpg

apr3.jpg

Rear end has been de-wipered for the summer months and the new spec GTI badge and Rabbit added. Same GTI badge on the front but with the red inlay like the "R-GTI"

apr2.jpg

Some nice white LED sidelights from Hong Kong

1wled7.jpg

led2.JPG

Fitted the cupra splitter and also I removed the red stripe tape on the upper and lower grill and managed to replace them with some red wing bead that I have had sitting in the garage for a while :)

feb02.jpg

feb01.jpg

Went down the shark fin route and this required some modding of different aerials to work and now sell on request for £43

a.jpg

b.jpg

AFTER colour coding

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

Looked for a set forages afer having them in my Mk4 Golf and found some and also fitted a Passat rear VW badge and colour coded it as its a smaller version than the original and looks more in keeping to be honest

seats.JPG

Edited by mike_m

:lol: It does change all the time within a few decimal points as things in the car are used etc but when the engine is on it reads about 14.5V with minor movement in reading.

Got some spacers for the rear but want the rear arches rolled first and just de-wipered the rear again for summer.....also waiting foradelivery from Tigz which are the red versions of my GTI door cards.

waiting foradelivery from Tigz which are the red versions of my GTI door cards.

LOL what, there still not there :lol:

waiting foradelivery from Tigz which are the red versions of my GTI door cards.

LOL what, there still not there :lol:

@Tigz....Nope mate LOL, possibly Monday I guess :) Will let you know

@Alex....nope but coilovers on there way end of summer I reckon as the car is just a weekennd toy since changing job and walking/cycling to work now.....I hate being able to get almost four fingers in the arch gaps :lol: but it was a daily drive car until recently

@Alex....nope but coilovers on there way end of summer I reckon as the car is just a weekennd toy since changing job and walking/cycling to work now.....I hate being able to get almost four fingers in the arch gaps :lol: but it was a daily drive car until recently

Cool, hopefully mine may be relegated to weekend toy status soon :)

Im debating coilovers or a just set of Eibachs, it seems you get what you pay for with the coilovers from what i ve read so KW's or H&Rs would be needed, I guess around £600 before fitted..

• 4 weeks later...

Few updates over the weekend:

Fitted my 20mm rear spacers and polished her up a bit :)

jun1.JPG

Painted the console trims gloss black to match the gloss black details within the car and here is my Beetle Sport gear knob

jun5.JPG

Colour coded and fitted another Passat rear badge

jun6.JPG

jun7.JPG

Edited by Mike_M

I was wondering if there were a VW rear badge that was flatter then the Lupos, and got told there wasnt. So is the passet one exactly as you see it in your pics? Or have you altered it in any way?

Love the interior :)