The definitive Gearbox thread

On 6/26/2021 at 11:06 AM, mk2 said:

The most time consuming (and therefore expensive) part is removing and replacing the box. If you can get the box out and take it to a place complete with a rebuild kit, they'll probably charge you just £50 (which is what I paid). It takes about an hour. They might even let you watch... :)

I heard that "Mr clutch" charges £200 for a new clutch in a Lupo, complete with pressure plate, bearing and clutch plate. Which is worth doing once the thing is out. So "they" could pull it out, you could bring the gearbox round to your prearranged rebuilder, back to mr clutch. All good... maybe £250 all in, for another 10 years of trouble free, cheap motoring.

thanks

i dont have time for that. im down to one car now - so a drive in drive out service is preferred. 

if its £300 then im happy to pay the money to sort the gearbox out make it new again.. 

just i have no clue who would do such a thing 

my clutch is pretty new.. around 20-30k on it so not needed 

I think you said you're Brighton way... There's a place that refurbs gearboxes in Hastings/Battle area i think. Once mentioned on here. @battlebus might be able to give you some pointers to someone with a decent reputation???

31 minutes ago, mk2 said:

I think you said you're Brighton way... There's a place that refurbs gearboxes in Hastings/Battle area i think. Once mentioned on here. @battlebus might be able to give you some pointers to someone with a decent reputation???

Not me mate I’m afraid. 
im Wiltshire :) 

On 7/9/2021 at 3:46 PM, Sarahs Lupo said:

thanks

i dont have time for that. im down to one car now - so a drive in drive out service is preferred. 

if its £300 then im happy to pay the money to sort the gearbox out make it new again.. 

just i have no clue who would do such a thing 

my clutch is pretty new.. around 20-30k on it so not needed 

I can see it costing a few quid unless you do what Mk2 said. I bought a second hand box to rebuild, it was £250 as I have a Lupo 3L (special 5th gear otherwise computer errors on that) and I had lost 3rd gear due to a selector fork breaking. Should be a lot cheaper now for a normal Lupo. Wait until you get a well looked after box and throw some new bearings in it for good measure. I have been running with the used box not rebuilt for 3 years now, with the straight 80w90 non synthetic oil. Dodgy boxes last a bit longer with non synthetic in my view, you can tell they are running a bit quieter too, but sometimes they won't shift properly when cold so feed the lever in slowly and hold it until it engages properly, not a problem in summer. I plan to TIG weld the selector fork and refit the old box when the clutch needs doing. There is a Gearbox and Clutch centre in Melksham if you google it. You never know they might fit the kit off ebay for £300 if you get the one with decent bearings, (SKF etc). They won't want to fit Chinese bearings if they are any good.

• Like 2

On 7/11/2021 at 6:10 AM, John90 said:

I can see it costing a few quid unless you do what Mk2 said. I bought a second hand box to rebuild, it was £250 as I have a Lupo 3L (special 5th gear otherwise computer errors on that) and I had lost 3rd gear due to a selector fork breaking. Should be a lot cheaper now for a normal Lupo. Wait until you get a well looked after box and throw some new bearings in it for good measure. I have been running with the used box not rebuilt for 3 years now, with the straight 80w90 non synthetic oil. Dodgy boxes last a bit longer with non synthetic in my view, you can tell they are running a bit quieter too, but sometimes they won't shift properly when cold so feed the lever in slowly and hold it until it engages properly, not a problem in summer. I plan to TIG weld the selector fork and refit the old box when the clutch needs doing. There is a Gearbox and Clutch centre in Melksham if you google it. You never know they might fit the kit off ebay for £300 if you get the one with decent bearings, (SKF etc). They won't want to fit Chinese bearings if they are any good.

Thanks I’ll have a google. 

• 2 weeks later...