JUST GOT PULLED

OPS

I gotta £60 fine for the plates on my focus, ive had the plates on there for 3 years. and had the same number plate for 8 years so i was a little miffed when they did tug me. Especially since ive been stopped for other stuff during that time and theyve not mentioned it.

You cant get points, but they can make you get an MOT, fine you and remove your rights to that plate if its personalised.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got my 4th fine for my German Plates on Saturday night, the 2 officers who stopped me had already gave me 2 fines and 3 verbal warnings for the plates, so they werent very happy. They even remembered my first name :blush:

Seems this whole argument is a bit silly really

Why would a criminal (who is trying to stay inconspicuous) fiddle with a plate, misspace it etc which will only attract attention....they'll just use a perfectly spaced plate from another almost identical car, which means they woun't attract any attention, and the dumb speed cameras and other stuff will just send any fines to the original owner....

Seems this whole argument is a bit silly really

Why would a criminal (who is trying to stay inconspicuous) fiddle with a plate, misspace it etc which will only attract attention....they'll just use a perfectly spaced plate from another almost identical car, which means they woun't attract any attention, and the dumb speed cameras and other stuff will just send any fines to the original owner....

Lunalupi - Criminal Mastermind in disguise :ninja:

That's what they want you to think, but it's all about the money generating schemes that rely on cameras automatically detecting your vehicle to charge you for road use or naughtiness (like using a bus lane).

However, my bone of contention is that if you have a correctly spaced plate in an EU regulation font (like our plate 2466 R displayed on a Spanish font) and the authorities say they can't read it, that suggests that all EU foreign vehicle aren't getting charged/fined where UK cars are - that's got to be against some kind of EU thing. If you're displaying MR 51NGH in ITC Bookman Demi font, then you deserve a tug from the Old Bill - it's an HMRC related offence I think and it looks crass too.

Edited by IDGM

However, my bone of contention is that if you have a correctly spaced plate in an EU regulation font and the authorities say they can't read it, that suggests that all EU foreign vehicle aren't getting charged/fined where UK cars are - that's got to be against some kind of EU thing.

This was part of my argument i had with the boyf. Also, if people are saying that german style plates cannot be read by speed cameras and such, what happens if Mr and Mrs Hans come for a holiday in England and bring ther car over on the ferry, and go hooning it all over place and set speed cameras flashing etc, i assume this number plate will not get read correctly and they get off scott free?

^ Im sure im being unbelievably naiive and thick on this one, but surely its the same thing if any of us set off a camera with german style plates?

most speed cameras are picture based - ie a human has to read the the number plate once the camera has taken the photo and then send the NIP.

I believe the problem comes when ANPR cameras are used, such as for digital speed cameras and insurance/tax/mot cameras. Not to mention the congestion charge for the londoners amongst us. As they are set up to read UK font. To be honest it probably wouldn't be hard to update it to read European fonts. I think the problem comes when a lot of pressed plates aren't up to European standards, even though to the naked eye they look similar.

I recall one member on here getting a NIP from a fixed camera.

He filled in the form and signed to say he was the driver, sent and sent it back.

A few days later he received a letter issuing a further fine for his 'mis-spaced' number plates, which were confirmed by the camera and him admitting that he was the owner/driver!

When I got pulled the officer said it was for my own benefit, as if my car was stolen it would flag up on ANPR and they would stop it, if it didn't they wouldn't stop the car. I then said that surely they would stop the car for dodgy plates. Thankfully he saw the humour in that...

Pressed plates dont last 2 mins in scarborough, its just getting worse and worse for traffic police around here. There were 2 BMW 5 series BRAND new parked up on the marine drive 2 nights ago and recently ive seen a subaru marked police car and an evo marked police car, not to mention all the T5 units around here.

Despite all this ive just ordered me some pressed plates off the net :) woo!

My argument- you know the risk when you buy them so you cant complain if you get pulled. HOWEVER, as ive said before, if the plates are apparently unreadable in the eyes of the law then if i go through a speed camera and get flashed how can they send me points / fine if the plates arent readable? A rule for one and a rule for another...

You're allowed black and silver ones on if your car is the right age. Pre 1973 ish I think...

Edit: Ah, think I know what you mean. Yeah, wonder if the ANPR cameras can read those ones ok.

Edited by Philplop

I got pulled and fined £30 the other day, they said they don’t usually fine people but due to their bosses enforcing the clamp down they needed an extra number to send off to 'em at the end of the month...lovely ay!

I’ve since changed my D banded with a dash for GB banded and no das pressed plates and have been pulled for a number plate bulb and they didn’t say a word about them.

They also said if my car was stolen and used for some kind of crime and a witness came forward saying it was a German car then they would be looking for a German car, where as its British :S

I might nip over to Germany and register it as a German car then I’ll get away with it :)

Edited by Hybrid

Hmm...just a thaught, is it cheaper to get pressed plates at a show or off tinternet? I fancy getting one made up for my office door :)

The Plateman has 3x24hour auctions every day on eBay. ive just got another set for £9 with free postage. worth a look. just search German plates.

Anf.