need some sensible peoples help :)

D_eano

mornin everyone!

basically ive been thinking about two plans lately... one more sensible than the other.. which is why i need some sensible peoples help

my two options for cars next year are either to get a lupo gti! or to do a 1.8t conversion

obviously i wouldnt do the 1.8t all myself but id do as much as i could!

so my pros and cons of each are!

both will cost the around the same (being as i want a good spec lupo gti!)

1.8t will give higher bragging rights and obviously quicker

id do a 1.8t out of a tt... and ive been talking to the phirm about it.. n i like what they have to say :)

gti will be better insurance and more im guesing reliable

i love the way my car looks now and it saves buyin new stuff to make the gti look how i want it to

arghhh... i need calming down basically... anyone that wants to help, could you please help me with some pros and cons of each

o and btw i cant think of any other cars id want next!

Personally, I'd buy a GTi

You'll never get the money back from doing a 1.8T conversion. Whereas with a GTi, it will depriciate, but at least you have a car thats easy to sell at the end.

And as you say, you already have loads of bits to put on a GTi already.

The best way to think about it is how long do you really want the car for?

How often will you use the car? Daily basis travelling motorway miles or weekend toy?

I.e can you see yourself with that car for another 2-3 years?

If you can say yes i'd go 1.8T because at least you'll be using it plus there's plenty of upgrades should you want more!

But cost is a factor. A 1.8T conversion costs a lot of £££ plus even when you've done that, you'll find things you'll want to upgrade etc including looks as if you do it on a base model, you might prefer the look of the GTI and to make a non-gti look like a gti with the bumpers etc will cost further money.....

I'm impressed with some of the tuning some GTI owners have got so far!!

Joe speaks the sense, but if you want hardcore dub it would have to be the 1.8T.

In my opinion, it's not worth doing the conversion unless you're putting on the track.

Sorry, that wasn't much help was it.

Ray

Get a GTI, if you love it after a year and have saved enough 1.8T that. Superchargers are very cheap to bolt on (ok all custom) but as Noddy was saying can be done for about 1k!

You're gonna be spending about the same as you say. A 1.8T Lupo is a lot rarer than a GTI and will be a lot quicker. So it all depends if you like the looks of the GTI a lot more than yours, get one of them, or if you wanna go stoopid fast in your Loop do the conversion :swerve: .

Might want to take insurance and running costs into account too.

aha mixed bag of opinions is what i like :D

in anwer to the first quesions... i drive my car everyday, got no other bills, i do like the look of gti's but prefer the standard shape but with the new wheels and lowerd :)

im not to fussed about the depreciation in value etc as i plan to own it a fair while... and my curent engine annoys the hell out of me and vw and an independent garage both told m it would cost £1000 to fix that so an extra £500 and i could have my 1.8t lump! :)

1.8 T it!

well that says it all...

when talking to the phirm they said i could book it in for march... so that might be ideal for me to be ol enough to get on a special insurance policy to allow for mods :)... and even better... in time for edition and that show at santa pod :) :)

both will cost the around the same (being as i want a good spec lupo gti!)

1.8t will give higher bragging rights and obviously quicker

id do a 1.8t out of a tt... and ive been talking to the phirm about it.. n i like what they have to say :)

gti will be better insurance and more im guesing reliable

ive been looking into doing the same mate , the insurance costs for me on a 1.8T20v is about £1200 full comp for a 21yr old 4years NCB , 4 years Driving , no points in a low risk post code with it on the drive way all mods declaired

also if i go ahead The Phirm are doing mine , there price seems really reasonable ( appart from the cost of driveshafts ) so id get them to hook it all up and then tow it to a driveshaft maker and get a set made up there as TP are wanting £600 for driveshafts :|

Firstly 1,200 is a great insurance price for that car at 21.

Secondly, if I wasw you i'd buy the cheapest gti possible THEN strip it (to a certain extent!) put a 1.8t engine in, limit the power to 200 odd bhp, uprate suspension / brakes etc

or at least that's the dream for meee.

depending on the styling normal Lupo's can look nicer than gti's, i do agree with that. Personally i prefer the gti, but if i was going to really full on mod one, it would be a normal lupo, with a gti lump in and xenons of course! ;)

Why stick with the 1.8T? For the same work, you could stick in any 4 cylinder. EVO, Honda, Ford... All have a wealth of tuning parts available. Keeping it DUB is sooooo tedious.

Sounds like a plan deano, and i know exactly where your coming from about the non-gti shape,

So how old would you be and with how many years no claims would you be when you would do the 1.8T ?

Personally i cant think of a better set up than a none gti loop with a 1.8t, it would be an amazing overall package, and no doubt youd have a silly big smile on your face when youve done it :lol:

Gti's are phat no doubt, but a 1.8T in a none gti is what its all about imo,

The looks on peoples face's as well when they see you "have off" :lol:

For me its going to be a g60 next year, i want a lupo gti but there nothing reallllly special and its only a 1.6 16v.

Ive got the same doubts as you as regerdes to relaibity but i think it would be well worth it. :shades: