Can you still reclaim bank Charges?

Putney

My Mrs has had loads over the years and I wanted to know whats the best way for her to claim them back and if she still can claim them back? She dosn't have her statements so can she just ask them to repay all charges taken from her account or does she have to come up with a figure and a list of all the charges?

Anyone on here been lucky enough to get them back yet?

Post if you can help....

Thanks in advance...

iirc, the banks changed the state of play a short while back. Its not there fault if someone has been bad at managing there money over several years...

So why should they pay for it. Certain loopholes in this "guideline" that they have been breaking have allowed them to get away with not paying people anything at all, so where some people were lucky and managed to get back some of there money, Most of them wont get anything back at all.

I know that you need to mark all your old statements where the bank have charged you, then send them back with a covering letter (http://www.bankcharges.info ~ might be a good starting point!?).

I checked 7 years worth and found about £30 of charges, must be better with my money than I thought! lol

The whole point about reclaiming the charges, is that the banks incur very little expense with accounts that are run badly, e.g going £10 over your OD doesn't cost them the £30 they charge you! therefore its unfair.

No doubt Al will feel the need to rubbish my comments ;)

All claims have been put on hold at present because of a test case in the High Court. It's still worth putting your claim in though.

And it's not all simply a case of badly managed money. Some people have racked up a lot of debt because the charges have spiralled out. A bad relationship could be another reason, been made redundant, there's dozens of reasons.

In a report in a paper I was recently reading, a journalist was part of a bridge club that had an account. That account went £5 overdrawn and subsequently racked up over £500 in charges because they were unaware.

Yes, and the issue with charges isn't the fact people get charged, which they rightly should, it's the fact that the banks are making a profit from them which is illegal.

I got back £980 for charges over a 3 year period about 4 months ago..........basically the charges imposed by the bank were the reason I went past my overdraft limit and got charged again the following month and so on and so on as their charges kept forcing me past my overdraft limit each month.

At the end of the day the banks are only out to make profit and what easier way than imposing stupidly high charges on peoples accounts. They try alsorts of tricks to try and get money out of you.

For example I knew that yesterday a direct debit was due out of one of my accounts, which didnt have enough money in the account to cover it. So I went into the bank and put enough money in that account to cover the deficit.......... a few hours later I got a call from the bank saying that even though I'd put the cash in that day the payment still couldnt be made as I hadnt told the teller that it was to pay that specific bill :huh:

Bloody jokers! They changed their mind and paid the bill after I told them I was closing my account as a result and will reconsider whether I will be getting my mortgage from them!

Banks are planning on charging to use all cash machines in the future to cover these costs now...........have not claimed myself so we all get the knock on effect of the people that have made a claim :(

Some banks are also closing/giving notice to the accounts that are making claims

Edited by mike_m

Dont go over your over draft limit.

Dont give out a cheque that bounces.

Simple as that really, Im crap with money.

But I still have no charges from the bank to 'claime back'

£980?

Remind me not to lend you a tenner. :lol:

Initially it wasn't my fault I went past my over draft limit it was a mistake with one of my direct debits coming out earlier than I had requested.....then because of the bank charges each month I was going past my monthly budget.......I got charged £60 8 times in one year :huh: now I dont see how they can justify that !

I used to be rubbish with money so yeh I admit some of the charges were my fault, but to charge anywhere from £12-60 just isnt justified.

"£980?

Remind me not to lend you a tenner. :lol: "

what you mean by that?

:confused:

Edited by dazraz_uk

£980?

Remind me not to lend you a tenner. :lol:

to be fair there's no need to be snooty about it.

living is so bloody expensive these days that overdrafts act for many people as an extra wage, unfortunately the rise of interest rates is not being counter acted with wages.

IMO people shouldn't have to have a partner to buy a house, but on a wage like mine (less than 15k) its impossible to buy a house alone, yet my rent is 500 a month so i could afford a mortgage, its just impossible to save for a deposit when the cost of living is so freakin' high.

the rich sods are laughing while the poor, or just working class, are struggling through life.

makes no sense to me, this country is well and truly f*cked.

Going back to the origianl point...

You can only claim for 6yrs worth, and you can ask the bank for any statements in that time.

But at the moment I wouldnt bother trying to claim, the big 8 banks in the UK and 1 building society are in the high court at the moment. This is a test case and depending on the outcome will dictate the future.

As a result of this all claims are being frozen...

thank christ you said that tigz , i spend all day listening to muppets that forget that debit card payments are a guarenteed form of payment , if you give your card out to somebody for a payment then they can claim the funds and if you go over your limit then tuff your going to get charged. as you can tell i work in a bank , im used to people screaming at me about them and i have no sympathy especially the ones that call them illegal when there not .

on the subject of bank charges i had to take a call take over today at work and this guy was constantly screaming at one of my advisors and then i came on the line and was trying to get me to say yes or to agree with him after his comment of " you should be ashamed of your bank! i went over my limit by a menial amount ( which was 9k over his 10k limit ) and you are the worst type of capitalists about there dont you agree , arent you ashamed! " my responce was " sir , you already have a limit of 10k with the bank , that alone is more than my advisors here earn in a year so its not a menial amount of funds. The reason why you are being charged is because you spent funds that are not available to you to use and thats why and i will not refund any charge on your account."

oh yeah , i wont be revisiting this thread as i will just get worked up cause people will start posting ***** about charges that isnt true so . if you want any info from the banks side of things about charges PM me and i will tell you what i know from here but then again just remember i still work for a bank so i wont be looking up anybodies details at work .

IMO people shouldn't have to have a partner to buy a house, but on a wage like mine (less than 15k) its impossible to buy a house alone, yet my rent is 500 a month so i could afford a mortgage, its just impossible to save for a deposit when the cost of living is so freakin' high.

How did the rich get rich? I work in an Estate Agents. We sell property to people who came into this country without any money and through nothing but sheer graft have accumulated wealth. They worked hard, spent little and slummed it for a few years to be in a position now when they can enjoy life.

the rich sods are laughing while the poor, or just working class, are struggling through life.

makes no sense to me, this country is well and truly f*cked.

The rich are taxed more than anyone else, to subsidise the poor.

How did the rich get rich? I work in an Estate Agents. We sell property to people who came into this country without any money and through nothing but sheer graft have accumulated wealth. They worked hard, spent little and slummed it for a few years to be in a position now when they can enjoy life.

The rich are taxed more than anyone else, to subsidise the poor.

Not everyone could be rich, It wouldn't work very well would it....

I live in Maltby (google Pit closures) and struggle to meet ends meet each month.

My Morgage eats up 3.5 weeks out of a months wages.

My wife had to go back to work when our baby girl was 3 months old as we could not afford to live on one wage.

My dad left school at 15 and became a Steel worker (google sheffield steel closures)

I think its fair to say Im working class, so I think its fair for me to comment on this.

I do not think its fair that I will soon have to pay to have a bank account because the minority claime that an oer draft is a second wage.

Im not saying life is easy, but neither is it the banks responcabilty to give you money they have not authorised for free.

I live in Maltby (google Pit closures) and struggle to meet ends meet each month.

My Morgage eats up 3.5 weeks out of a months wages.

My wife had to go back to work when our baby girl was 3 months old as we could not afford to live on one wage.

My dad left school at 15 and became a Steel worker (google sheffield steel closures)

I think its fair to say Im working class, so I think its fair for me to comment on this.

I do not think its fair that I will soon have to pay to have a bank account because the minority claime that an oer draft is a second wage.

Im not saying life is easy, but neither is it the banks responcabilty to give you money they have not authorised for free.

No offence tigs but don't you have a motorbike, and three cars? That to me dosn't sound like someone trying to make ends meet... Sounds like someone is living beyond their means! :confused:

I have just started to organise my finances, Probably got more debt than most but on paper I am doing alright... Got most of my debt from doing up my flat and a loan for the bike... If I work out how much the bank is making out of me for loans and mortgage then I think its a fecking liberty to start charging for accounts!

The wife just got another letter from the bank saying she has gone over her £200 over draft limit. So they have charged her £30. For going £17 over. The letter only arrived Friday and now she is still over her overdraft limit her statement dates are 16th till the 16th. So she will get charged another £30 for being over on the new month... So she is getting charged £60 for being £17 over... on an very small overdraft.. Now that is not fair...

My Over draft runs up to a grand so its not easy for me to go over mine... Not done it in years.. But they wont give her a bigger over draft as she dosn't earn enough so its a lot easier for her to get fined... Probably the same for the majority of people who get fined is that their overdraft facility is not that big and they max it out easily....

A friend of mine has got an £1800 over draft.... Now he wont get paid that in a month so if he maxes that out his monthly salary can't clear it.... which means he is constantly in it!

No offence tigs but don't you have a motorbike, and three cars? That to me dosn't sound like someone trying to make ends meet... Sounds like someone is living beyond their means! :confused:

Thats the point yes.

I've been saving up for the last two months (and still saving!) to spend £95 on a rear shock absober so I can get the bike through MOT, the insurance is only £8 a month.

The Renault is awaiting MOT, so I can sell the car but I dont have enough cash to spend £40 on the MOT!

The Polo is needing a gearbox, and at £400 I cant afford one at the moment.

This needs doing so I can sell the car, to pay for the Lupo.

The Lupo, as we know is off the road, but even when its completed I can not afford to insure it so its wont be used until next year.

The Saxo is our only mode of transport at the moment, cheap fuel and insurance is where its at! lol

J

So you got 4 cars and one bike between two people?

I can see your prediciment having to fix things up before you sell them but surely you thought of this before you bought them?

Your money mate and I guess your hobby too. I just hate having debt so I am trying to clear mine.. paying off £1200 a month now! got a year to go too.... :angry:

Not really no, at the time when I bought what I bought I could afford to run them.

But children, intrest rate rises (Im on varable for 6 months to save paying Northen Rock £1000 back before starting a new deal) so the 7.8% is crippling me at the moment.

Still not into my over draft, just cut back on my spending.

I'm not saying the bank charges are fair.

And Im not saying someone should be shot for going in the red, that would be silly.

What I do not understand is how someone can build up £1000 worth of charges at £30 a time.

30+ times in the red?

Just seems odd to me.

No not if you think about it.... She could have been charged £90 this month for being £17 over her limit..

I can see why over 6 years people are getting back £800 - £1000.... Its so easily done Tigz.. She has just done a degree for the last three years so could only really work at weekends. If I don't help her out it would be very easy for her to get charged twice for going over her overdraft...

I would love to get her charges back so she could clear her debt.... I am sure millions of people are in the same boat.